2024 NFL Draft

Humble_Beast

52 minutes ago, FloydFan said:

He definitely has the tools. I’ve warmed up on him a good bit over the draft process. I wouldn’t mind taking him and sitting for the first half of the season or so and letting him get his feet under him. 

55 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

The more I know about him the more I think he’s going to be really good.

I know he throws a lot of bubble screens but it’s average time to pass is 2.5 seconds

Will Nix ever be elite? Probably not. But think he can be a solid starter like a Baker / Hurts mix

• Like 2

5 hours ago, FloydFan said:

Apparently Nix had a pretty dang great showing at his Pro Day today. 

Is this not expected though?
its more a red flag if they don’t light up their pro day, and should be expected for them to light it up?

3 hours ago, Steins Gate said:

Because of the draft position that the Raiders are in, I could easily see a trade up (maybe #6 through #9) to secure getting one of the other 3 QB prospects. I have a feeling that it won't be cheap.

I think it'll be a trade up for JJ McCarthy or we land Nix. Nix could be at #13, after a trade back, a trade back into the 1st, or in the 2nd.

5 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Why are you so obsessed with Rattler? Dude was mid af at South Carolina.

He’s got legitimate arm talent and have been on the NFL radar for years. O-line at SC was the worst in SEC and bottom 10 FBS. Good chance he becomes a better pro than college QB. 

26 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

He’s got legitimate arm talent and have been on the NFL radar for years. O-line at SC was the worst in SEC and bottom 10 FBS. Good chance he becomes a better pro than college QB. 

His arm is okay but nothing special. He wasn't a very good college QB so even being an average NFL QB would be a step up. Isn't mobile, doesn't seem to be a good leader, couldn't produce under Lincoln Riley, small, and he's old. A lot of people here hate on AOC for being older but Rattler is going to be a 24 year old rookie.

If we skipped out on QB or traded for Fields we could really improve the team.

Trade #14 to Pitt for #20 / #51

20. Terrion Arnold | CB | Alabama

44. T'Vondre Sweat | NT | Texas

51. Cooper Bebe | OG | Kansas State

77. Jaylen Wright | RB | Tennessee

112. Blake Fisher | OT | Notre Dame

148. Luke McCaffery | WR | Rice

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

If we skipped out on QB or traded for Fields we could really improve the team.

I think we should take the Panthers approach and roll with a sub-mid QB for a year or two and build up the roster.

In 2026 when they ditch the junior high QB they got bilked into drafting in favor of a real QB, that new dude is going to be walking into a pretty solid team from the looks of it so far. 

Edited by ronjon1990

14 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

I think we should take the Panthers approach and roll with a sub-mid QB for a year or two and build up the roster.

In 2026 when they ditch the junior high QB they got bilked into drafting in favor of a real QB, that new dude is going to be walking into a pretty solid team from the looks of it so far. 

The Panthers are god awful son, lol. Only issue with that is a lot of our core probably won't be here beyond 1-2 more years.

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The Panthers are god awful son, lol. Only issue with that is a lot of our core probably won't be here beyond 1-2 more years.

They're crushing FA and such thus far, relative to the norm. 2-3 years they have some potential to have a very solid base built for a good QB to come into. 

They were awful last year, I give them 4-5 wins this year, probably 6 the next. Then they'll trade Bryce Youngster to someone like Tomlin, because he clearly evaluates QBs like no other, for a 2nd or whatever a'la Darnold/Wentz trades, and in 2026/2027 they're going to look like Houston did last year. 

6 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

They're crushing FA and such thus far, relative to the norm. 2-3 years they have some potential to have a very solid base built for a good QB to come into. 

They were awful last year, I give them 4-5 wins this year, probably 6 the next. Then they'll trade Bryce Youngster to someone like Tomlin, because he clearly evaluates QBs like no other, for a 2nd or whatever a'la Darnold/Wentz trades, and in 2026/2027 they're going to look like Houston did last year. 

Crushing FA? They got terrible value for Burns and overpaid a bunch of average pieces. Their weapons are still bottom tier in the league and I doubt that Diontae stays there after next season.

Looking back to 2010 the hit rate on QB's is so damn low.

Bold = Hit | Italic = Jury Still Out | Red = Bust

2023: Young | Stroud | Richardson

2022: Pickett

2021: Lawrence | Wilson | Lance | Fields | Jones

2020: Burrow | Tua | Herbert | Love

2019: Kyler | Jones | Haskins

2018: Mayfield | Darnold | Allen | Rosen | Lamar

2017: Trubisky | Mahomes | Watson

2016: Goff | Wentz | Lynch

2015: Winston | Mariota

2014: Bortles | Manziel | Bridgewater

2013: Manuel

2012: Luck | Griffin | Tannehill 

2011: Newton | Locker | Gabbert | Ponder

2010: Bradford | Tebow

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Looking back to 2010 the hit rate on QB's is so damn low.

Bold = Hit | Italic = Jury Still Out | Red = Bust

2023: Young | Stroud | Richardson

2022: Pickett

2021: Lawrence | Wilson | Lance | Fields | Jones

2020: Burrow | Tua | Herbert | Love

2019: Kyler | Jones | Haskins

2018: Mayfield | Darnold | Allen | Rosen | Lamar

2017: Trubisky | Mahomes | Watson

2016: Goff | Wentz | Lynch

2015: Winston | Mariota

2014: Bortles | Manziel | Bridgewater

2013: Manuel

2012: Luck | Griffin | Tannehill 

2011: Newton | Locker | Gabbert | Ponder

2010: Bradford | Tebow

Honest questios:

1. Why is Tannehill a "jury still out"? We're 12 years in with him lol. 

2. Is the jury honestly still out on Goff, and if he's not a hit, why is Newton? Goff made a Superbowl once as well and numerous years of sustained success including multiple conference championship games with 2 teams. Trading him helped the Rams get the final ingredient that may or may not have been 100% neccesary to get over the hump, trading FOR him has helped Detroit become one of the hottest teams in the league. Newton has the 1 MVP, but outside of that season, his resume pales Goff's. 

3. Love is a hit after 1 season but the jury remains out on Tannehill and Goff? 

Not saying I disagree with the premise, just trying to make sense of those 3 things that don't really change the idea which.....

Yeah, let's talk about this:

The hit rate on QBs is low. Even lower when you look at who traded to get there. 

There's a few guys currently playing we can safely say are "it" and a couple more likely to make that category, but the 2021 class is BRUTAL. 

No sense in trading a ton for someone. A deal will be a good deal or I wouldn't deal. Picks simply can't be seen as hostage negotiations when it comes to QBs anymore for us. Stick at 13 and see what happens or target someone later unless we do some sort of straight swap of picks to move from 13 to 10 or something. 

This notion that a 1st round QB is absolutely necessary for success is, obviously, garbage. From this list, 1 has actually won a ring amd appears to be the new Brady-like outlier while only 4 total have made a Superbowl at all (Mahomes, Burrow, Goff, Newton). *I am leaving Wentz off the list because not only was he a clear bust, but Nick Foles played too big of a role for me to heap credit on Wentz at all, but for those who want to use him, hooray for 1 extra. 

Taking Brady entirely out of the equation, the number of rings won by non-1st rounders is practically the same. Coaching, roster, and momentum matter just as much. The right TEAM and decent QB play instead of trash, and it can 100% be done. 

27 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Honest questios:

This notion that a 1st round QB is absolutely necessary for success is, obviously, garbage. From this list, 1 has actually won a ring amd appears to be the new Brady-like outlier while only 4 total have made a Superbowl at all (Mahomes, Burrow, Goff, Newton). *I am leaving Wentz off the list because not only was he a clear bust, but Nick Foles played too big of a role for me to heap credit on Wentz at all, but for those who want to use him, hooray for 1 extra. 

Taking Brady entirely out of the equation, the number of rings won by non-1st rounders is practically the same. Coaching, roster, and momentum matter just as much. The right TEAM and decent QB play instead of trash, and it can 100% be done. 

Um, I'm pretty sure the number of super bowls won by first round QBs is like...32 or 33 ish. And without Brady, the number of non first rounders to win is like, 17 ish?

And I would vehemently disagree. Finding success outside of first round QBs is very rare, and certainly anything but "obvious". 

https://theathletic.com/5256546/2024/02/08/super-bowl-quarterbacks-history-free-agency-draft?source=user-shared-article