2024 NFL Draft

Humble_Beast

3 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

we Clearly have a trash bottom 5 QB. That really limits the ceiling of the offense. Our defense is actually playing a little better than expected. Moehrig and Koonce have been playing good ball. Spillane has been hit or miss, Epps is a solid starting SS and not horrible like Abram. I still think our LBs and DT units suck but the defense is playing better than I thought. Hopefully Wilson comes around. QB, OL , DT, LB units need to be upgraded

For those of you wondering, Jimmy G. is on pace for 24 TDs and 28 INTs this season.

5 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I tend to agree. The coaching decisions have been egregious in spots. Each week, he has several wtf moments in his playing calling or decision making. And his staff of offensive assistants are duds.

I'll defend the fact he didn't pick Mac Jones, but he had his best year as a rookie under him. Nobody got to see what he could do with Tebow. He also had a hand in Matt Cassel, Jakobi Brissett and Jimmy G who had nice careers considering. 

I also think his offense looks 10x better with the right QB. But he choose the very limited, late model Jimmy G to run it. He's now holding it back. That is on JMD and also something Mark has to consider in his evaluation. 

Yep. Difference between HC and OC. 

The personnel decisions and in-game decisions are what separates coordinators from head coaches. 

The FG, not using Renfrow, not yanking Jimmy though it's clear as day he just doesn't have it, rotating Koonce out the first few weeks, whiffing on the timeout last week- these are just a few things, and individually none of them likely change the outcome of any individual games. Collectively, they speak to the lack of preparedness or vision or talent evaluation, and that falls on the HC. 

During the game, they finally put Munford in and things improved a bit. It's one thing when things aren't great and a coach sticks to his guys, it's another when it's just objectively bad- which our OL is for whatever reason. The lineup we keep going in with clearly doesn't work. Adjust and adapt. Maybe it doesn't pan out, but at least try. 

Koonce is another one. Why he wasn't starting is beyond me. Maybe Wilson sucks, maybe he's a DT and not a DE, maybe he was just hurt and improves over time. Who knows. But he shouldn't have been out there early when he was and shouldn't have stayed out there as long as he did. 

We do lack talent. Nobody (except NYRaider when Jimmy has a rare stroke of brilliance) would say we don't. And so expectations should be tempered to reflect that fact. But when something is clearly broken, HC has to ball up and make some changes, and whether they work or not, at least show an awareness of what's broken and attempt to fix it. That's where Josh falls short to me. He's like the guy who pops in Madden and plays a whole season with the default depth chart lineup as is, never making any adjustments to sub packages or anything. 

If it were just 1 thing, say, Jimmy just sucked and was throwing picks and taking sacks despite good blocking, I could overlook it. I didn't think Jimmy was going to come in and light it up, but I didn't think he was going to be as awful to watch as he's been either. But Jimmy sucking, the pass game remaining pretty 1-dimensional, the blocking sucking while sticking with the same lineup holding the run game down.....it's the entire set up. Fix the OL, Jimmy probably still sucks. Jimmy balls, the run game is still probably stuck. Get the run game going, Jimmy probably forgets how to hand off the ball. So on, so forth. And that, I can't overlook. 

The fact our offense is as big a mess as it is top to bottom is seriously troubling. Jimmy isn't helping the WRs, the RBs aren't helping take a load off Jimmy, the OL can't help themselves much less anyone else. Yet, personnel wise, the OL is basically the same that brought the league rushing leader last year, WR depth is greatly improved (Meyers looks like a WR1 stuck as a WR2, not just a WR2), our TEs are actually available....it just shouldn't be as bad as it is, and though fun to pile on Jimmy to pick at NYRaider, it's clearly not just Jimmy. We see the horrible blocking that would get virtually any QB crushed. We see the run game being almost nonexistent. We see, or rather don't see the WRs on the field (seriously, where was Adams the first 3 Q's? Why does Renfrow get pulled after every catch he makes?) And even for those of us who preferred Carr to Jimmy, Carr wasn't so much better than Jimmy in all facets of the game to justify saying he masked a lot of the issues we see now. He wasn't that level. So the regression on offense is just....wow. I thought they looked janky and a bit out of sorts last year, but this year they look like a Warhol gone wild. 

And hey, I'll be the first to say Josh probably has some gift as an OC. He wouldn't be awful at getting a QBOTF ready- to your point on Cassel, Brisset, Mac, Jimmy, etc.- if that was his only job. But no matter how good at that one thing he might indeed be (I said last year his ability to squeeze blood from a turnip with RBs was impressive, fwiw) the rest of how he seems to operate in other areas would just negate that and we'd see a shell-shocked rookie QB by mid season. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Jerry said:

For those of you wondering, Jimmy G. is on pace for 24 TDs and 28 INTs this season.

Oof, and we haven't even hit the hardest part of the schedule yet. 

Detroit, Miami, KC (x2) are 4 games that could be absolute slaughters, and I don't think Minnestota, Indianapolis, or LA are going to be cakewalks when the points star pouring on. Shootouts would be awful for us. 

No seeing the hype outside arm talent with Michael Penix

• Funky offensive scheme
  • 2 future NFL WRs who out man their competition giving him easy throws
  • Not as accurate as stats would lead you to think
  • Rarely face pressure or is forced to make plays off platform

Looks like a third round guy who will get pushed to round 2. Hard to project his NFL capabilities out of that offense honestly. Everything is entirely to easy for him. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

No seeing the hype outside arm talent with Michael Penix

• Funky offensive scheme
  • 2 future NFL WRs who out man their competition giving him easy throws
  • Not as accurate as stats would lead you to think
  • Rarely face pressure or is forced to make plays off platform

Looks like a third round guy who will get pushed to round 2. Hard to project his NFL capabilities out of that offense honestly. Everything is entirely to easy for him. 

I'm not convinced that there's another QB worth a FRP after Caleb/Maye as things currently stand.

MPJ injury history is also extremely concerning.

Edited by NYRaider

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

Oof, and we haven't even hit the hardest part of the schedule yet. 

Detroit, Miami, KC (x2) are 4 games that could be absolute slaughters, and I don't think Minnestota, Indianapolis, or LA are going to be cakewalks when the points star pouring on. Shootouts would be awful for us. 

We can't score.  I told my son if a team puts up 21 against us, we lost.  It's that simple.

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I'm not convinced that there's another QB worth a FRP after Caleb/Maye as things currently stand.

MPJ injury history is also extremely concerning.

McCarthy, Nix for sure are first round talents.

Ewers if he comes out will make a case with his raw potential. 

2025's class has potential to be solid too given the guys who might go back to school.

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Jimmy is on pace for 20/24

Give me Jimmy all day, Carr proving to be a bum even with elite weapons, an elite OL, and an elite OC 

Jimmy G has 6 TDs and 7 INTs in 4 games.  If he plays 16 games, then he is on pace for 24/28.  If you're factoring in concussions then yeah sure, it's probably closer to 20/24 and 3-4 concussions.  Lol.

Jimmy also has a better WR corps, and supposedly, an offensive guru/genius at HC.  You crack me up man.  Jimmy G's arm has gone limp and you're still taking him.  Only way D. Adams is getting the ball is if he's in the slot.  Jimmy can't even throw it out of bounds any more.  He just doesn't have the arm.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Jimmy is on pace for 20/24

Give me Jimmy all day, Carr proving to be a bum even with elite weapons, an elite OL, and an elite OC 

You're not familiar with Pete Carmichael I take it. 

Regardless, give me neither. Moving on from Carr was fine. Replacing him with Jimmy was the equivalent of turning your dirty underwear inside out.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

You're not familiar with Pete Carmichael I take it. 

Regardless, give me neither. Moving on from Carr was fine. Replacing him with Jimmy was the equivalent of turning your dirty underwear inside out.

Or just leaving them on.  Lol.