2024 NFL Draft

Humble_Beast

The tank is back on boys! 

Panthers, Cards, Pats, Broncos, Chargers, Titans, Giants, Packers, Bears, Vikings all have 2 or less wins. We're going to get obliterated by the Lions so will be 3-5 before playing the Giants.

Let's hope some of the other bad teams get some useless W's too.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

The tank is back on boys! 

Panthers, Cards, Pats, Broncos, Chargers, Titans, Giants, Packers, Bears, Vikings all have 2 or less wins. We're going to get obliterated by the Lions so will be 3-5 before playing the Giants.

Let's hope some of the other bad teams get some useless W's too.

And we play 4 of them- there's some useless wins for them. 

I honestly can't see us doing better than 7-10 at the very best. We'll probably wind up 5-12 or 6-11. 

Should be good enough for a top 7 pick. Biggest thing for me is I hope hope hope the Cardinals, Bears, and Panthers manage to finish better than us. At least 2 of them. Their records really dictate the draft posts and trade market. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ronjon1990 said:

And we play 4 of them- there's some useless wins for them. 

I honestly can't see us doing better than 7-10 at the very best. We'll probably wind up 5-12 or 6-11. 

Should be good enough for a top 7 pick. Biggest thing for me is I hope hope hope the Cardinals, Bears, and Panthers manage to finish better than us. At least 2 of them. Their records really dictate the draft posts and trade market. 

Obviously I just want a high pick to take Williams or Maye, but the second thing I am praying for is the Broncos do not land one of the blue-chips.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Obviously I just want a high pick to take Williams or Maye, but the second thing I am praying for is the Broncos do not land one of the blue-chips.

They will trade up and get one. The Raiders are a dumbass organization that think draft picks matter more than a Top QB prospect. 

Most of the blue chip prospects I've seen are not at positions of need. TE, edge, WR are not positions of need. OT and DT definitely could be in play, but I'd take the best QB available where we pick. I think there will be a very very good QB prospect in the top 10 that we can develop into a franchise guy with the right coach. However, if there are none, I think someone like Ewers/Nix in Rd 2 would be great for upside.

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Most of the blue chip prospects I've seen are not at positions of need. TE, edge, WR are not positions of need. OT and DT definitely could be in play, but I'd take the best QB available where we pick. I think there will be a very very good QB prospect in the top 10 that we can develop into a franchise guy with the right coach. However, if there are none, I think someone like Ewers/Nix in Rd 2 would be great for upside.

I hardly care about need anymore. We pass on better talent all the time for need and get burnt bad.

If Verse or whatever pass-rusher is the best available then absolutely draft the dude. The Eagles are demolishing teams with deep, elite D lineman. Let's get a nice rotation going for once!

Bowers would be a tough one to pass on but with Mayer this is the lone exception of passing on a blue-chipper I would make. I'd certainly draft Fashanu and figure out the whole LT/RT crap after. He is elite.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Obvious name, Ben Johnson. 

Shane Waldron is worth looking at. Slowik's work in Houston has been impressive. Frank Smith in Miami and has history with the Raiders. Leave no stone unturned.

I like Ben Johnson but something to look at with him: he inherited a veteran quarterback, who had already had success in the NFL. We haven't necessarily seen him develop a young QB in that regard.

Shane Waldron, on the other hand, inherited a quarterback, who was almost a career back up, and had him playing the best football of his career at 32. That's pretty impressive. 

Frank Smith could work but isn't he more of a running back guy? 

11 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

I like Ben Johnson but something to look at with him: he inherited a veteran quarterback, who had already had success in the NFL. We haven't necessarily seen him develop a young QB in that regard.

Shane Waldron, on the other hand, inherited a quarterback, who was almost a career back up, and had him playing the best football of his career at 32. That's pretty impressive. 

Frank Smith could work but isn't he more of a running back guy? 

Agree on Johnson, but he calls a really good offense. Waldron, you said it. Frank Smith is big in the blocking schemes and run game in Miami. Was a TE coach here when Waller was playing his best ball. 

It's hard honestly. Finding a quality HC is hard. The guys who seems to have sustained success are guys who are charismatic, good with players and well connected. Guys that can build a staff and are not afraid to look outside their own people to do it. 

My favorite coaches - Pete, Shanahan, McVey, Reid. These guys are personable. They are always evolving their and promoting their staffs. When they make a hire, it's intentional. How many times have these guys turned over their entire staff and not missed a beat for the most part. Just smart, intentional progressive leadership. 

But these are rare guys. Hard to find. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

Lions offense was super meh and BJ took it to elite with the same pieces.

8 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Agree on Johnson, but he calls a really good offense. Waldron, you said it. Frank Smith is big in the blocking schemes and run game in Miami. Was a TE coach here when Waller was playing his best ball. 

It's hard honestly. Finding a quality HC is hard. The guys who seems to have sustained success are guys who are charismatic, good with players and well connected. Guys that can build a staff and are not afraid to look outside their own people to do it. 

My favorite coaches - Pete, Shanahan, McVey, Reid. These guys are personable. They are always evolving their and promoting their staffs. When they make a hire, it's intentional. How many times have these guys turned over their entire staff and not missed a beat for the most part. Just smart, intentional progressive leadership. 

But these are rare guys. Hard to find. 

100% agree. It's why...

1. I'm usually quick to pick out the flaws when it comes to coaching candidates. I try to look someone shouldn't succeed instead of why they can. 

2. Its why I look at coaching tree track record of success. It's the trait that seems to translate. Take the guys you mentioned all of their coaching trees seem to have a track record of success. Getting one of them might be a good idea(besides any retreads with no previous record of HC success like Matt Nagy).

3. I think that "leader of men" quality of head coaching is vastly underrated. Being able to lead and relate to grown men in a way that makes them want to play their best ball for you week in and week out simply can't be quantified. We need one of those guys. 

• Like 4