2024 NFL Draft

Humble_Beast

Just now, NYRaider said:

I'm assuming Ewers returns to school.

Williams, Maye, McCarthy, Penix go in the first

Nix, Daniels go in the 2nd. 

Probably right on Williams, Maye, McCarthy, and Penix unless one drops a'la Levis. 

Nix and Daniels are the most likely to miss out on the 1st round hype train, so I agree there. 

Ewers though, you really think he'll go back? He was already sort of underwhelming and his stock is shaky. If he transfers again or gets beat out by Manning, that'll be all she wrote for his draft stock. I actually think he absolutely has to come out and come out swinging in the pre-draft process. 

• Like 1

5 games should be enough to where it knocks the Raiders out of the Caleb/Maye running. 

Puts the Raiders in a interesting position where you ride with AOC if he plays well down the stretch or you have to be aggressive in a trade up or be happy with one of the tier 2 guys

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Probably right on Williams, Maye, McCarthy, and Penix unless one drops a'la Levis. 

Nix and Daniels are the most likely to miss out on the 1st round hype train, so I agree there. 

Ewers though, you really think he'll go back? He was already sort of underwhelming and his stock is shaky. If he transfers again or gets beat out by Manning, that'll be all she wrote for his draft stock. I actually think he absolutely has to come out and come out swinging in the pre-draft process. 

I think McCarthy will separate himself as QB3, Penix will be interesting to monitor during the pre-draft process because of his age and injury history but he has played lights out this year. It seems like there will be more QB needy teams this year too.

And that's a good point on Ewers, I could definitely see him just taking his chance in the draft. It'll be risky for him either way due to the lack of production and injuries over the last couple of years but that also could play in his favor a little bit as there won't be as much tape on him as the other tier 2/3 QBs. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

A penetrating DT would be a godsend for this D. Butler has shown some flashes the past couple weeks and our D has looked completely different.

Getting a stud interior guy next to Crosby and Tyree? Good luck OLs.

Yes but the offense has to show that it can be competent with oconnell in order for us to go in that direction. I think we should draft a QB round two even if oconnell plays well 

23 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Yes but the offense has to show that it can be competent with oconnell in order for us to go in that direction. I think we should draft a QB round two even if oconnell plays well 

I don't really see the value in having two journeymen level QB.

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Define great value? Because in my mind, unless a QB can elevate the team out of the middle, I have a hard time getting behind it. I'd rather take a shot at a legit franchise game changer and strike out then a value QB that keeps the team on the outside looking in ala the Carr years. 

I mean I agree but it's also possible we're just unable to do it. Even Nix has huge physical upside and could go higher because of it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I think McCarthy will separate himself as QB3, Penix will be interesting to monitor during the pre-draft process because of his age and injury history but he has played lights out this year. It seems like there will be more QB needy teams this year too.

And that's a good point on Ewers, I could definitely see him just taking his chance in the draft. It'll be risky for him either way due to the lack of production and injuries over the last couple of years but that also could play in his favor a little bit as there won't be as much tape on him as the other tier 2/3 QBs. 

Yeah Ewers' stock will be interesting. I feel like his stock was more results-dependent than stats-dependent as Texas was more of a "Oh, hey, they actually might be good this year" situation than some of the other QBs. 

If Texas falls off, it could help his stock stay higher despite the injury and lack of production. 

It'll be interesting to see what the opinion of him winds up being if Texas finishes out strong and he doesn’t play. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Yeah Ewers' stock will be interesting. I feel like his stock was more results-dependent than stats-dependent as Texas was more of a "Oh, hey, they actually might be good this year" situation than some of the other QBs. 

If Texas falls off, it could help his stock stay higher despite the injury and lack of production. 

It'll be interesting to see what the opinion of him winds up being if Texas finishes out strong and he doesn’t play. 

I liked Ewers a lot coming into the season but I'm meh on him now, I think he can definitely use another year of development. JJ McCarthy's tape has jumped out a lot more to me than his has this season. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

100%.

If we can get just competent QB play, we're ok. Good QB play, we're looking very good, especially with some holes plugged up. 

By 2025, if we still absolutely need a star QB, take some 2026 assets and players and make it happen. 

The time to take a shot on QB is now while you have a solid LT and top end WR talent. Not have some middling years, then plug in a rookie who will need time. Maxx/Adams will be on their home stretch at that phase. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Which is fair. 

That said, aside from Maye and Williams, are we even absolutely sure of who the other 1st round QBs are? I mean, we've all made projections for guys, but it's far from a certain or even consensus at this point. 

Say, for example, none of Nix, McCarthy, Daniels, Penix, or Ewers wind up actually getting much 1st round hype. We can bet that at least 2 of them would get over-drafted by someone reaching. That leaves at least 3 by our 2nd round pick (exact spot TBD). 

If a stud at a different position is available in round 1, I'm not opposed to it depending on how the rankings break down. There's  lot of QBs this year that could be worthb1st rounders who simply won't be drafted in round 1 for a variety of reasons. 

I wouldn't wait beyond round 2 though, for sure. But I think that's where people are saying there's potential value- depending on the order of picks and the board. For now, unless someone is just 100% set on giving up assets to move up for Williams or Maye, we really just have no real clue what we may or may not need to do to land a franchise QB. 

I follow this line of thinking. Basically going to all come down to where the team is picking and who comes out. Put a pin in this debate. 

For me, I would move Mountains for Maye or McCarthy knowing what I know today. I believe they will be franchise level guys. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

The time to take a shot on QB is now while you have a solid LT and top end WR talent. Not have some middling years, then plug in a rookie who will need time. Maxx/Adams will be on their home stretch at that phase. 

We definitely have the infrastructure to support a young stud QB, I think AOC has the potential to be average / a spot starter but not really a franchise level guy. 

• Like 2

Just now, big_palooka said:

I follow this line of thinking. Basically going to all come down to where the team is picking and who comes out. Put a pin in this debate. 

For me, I would move Mountains for Maye or McCarthy knowing what I know today. I believe they will be franchise level guys. 

I'm honestly starting to like McCarthy more than Maye........

3 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I mean I agree but it's also possible we're just unable to do it. Even Nix has huge physical upside and could go higher because of it.

True. And if I could grab Nix, I would be happy with that assuming you fill some holes elsewhere. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

I'm honestly starting to like McCarthy more than Maye........

Bold. Maye is a step above to me. More polished, but on a mediocre team with little skill talent and Mac Brown is a bit of a dud. 

I think McCarthy is who Maye was a year ago. Another year of seasoning, he's a sure fire #1 overall prospect. If he comes out, you're getting him on a budget in the top 10. 

• Like 4