2024 NFL Draft

Humble_Beast

8 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

I get that Michigan's D and run game have been pretty dominant and people who box score scout will be turned off by him, but I'm certainly not holding his team being good against him as a prospect. 

We've seen QBs that don't have "it" during Harbough's tenure, and McCarthy isn't one of them or he'd be gone. He controls the offense, takes what's given, and knows when to rely on the run game. He doesn't play hero ball, which I definitely appreciate. I don't need a hero, I need a QB that can run an offense efficiently and isn't going to pout about not putting up gawdy stats. Herbert puts up gawdy stats, it hasn't done ish for LA. 

We snag McCarthy, we probably low key have the highest floor 1st round QB. I don't know why, but he sort of reminds me of Alex Smith (if anyone can pinpoint why, go for it), and my admiration for Alex Smith and his entire career path is pretty damn high. Personally, I think Harbaugh giving him the football IQ label, him being deceptively mobile, a bit understated, ridiculously comfortable throwing onnthe move, and just being the guy without the frills is it. 

And, hey, I always thought Smith got the rawest of raw deals early on in SF and proved himself plenty worthy later on. If we get Alex Smith 2.0 and don't blow him up with crap coaching and turmoil for 7 years before giving him some stability, I consider that a huge win. 

I see your point but Mccarthy has a way bigger arm and more physical/athletic runner.

Stylistically there is a lot of Josh Allen in his game. I know he's not as much of a bruiser or as big, but it's there. His pocket presence and escapability are huge pluses for me. His legs are a weapon in the redzone and will be even in the NFL. The dude is a tough SOB as well.

I'm not saying it will happen, but he has all the physical tools to be a top 5 passer in the NFL. That is what you want in terms of upside. Plus he'll be a 21 year old rookie unlike a lot of the top guys in this draft.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Tank4Drake said:

He's def my #3 above Jayden. I think McCarthy has crazy potential. Might look like the worst rookie his rookie year out of those four, but he can develop into an elite guy. 

I think Daniels has a higher floor and has been red hot this year. I think McCarthy's upside is higher and I prefer him though I imagine Daniels could go higher.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I think Daniels has a higher floor and has been red hot this year. I think McCarthy's upside is higher and I prefer him though I imagine Daniels could go higher.

I'm actually on the opposite end, I think McCarthy has a higher floor, ceiling is hard to really say.

52 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Why do you think Daniels has a lower upside? Isn't his upside pretty close to Lamar Jackson?

Just now, NYRaider said:

Does Daniels have the arm or speed of Lamar? I think he's a little worse in both categories.

He's taller, and I think he has a stronger arm. He's probably not as quick as early-career Lamar, but I think he might have similar long speed.

12 minutes ago, jpaulthe1st said:

Lamar Jackson is known for a lot of things but I’ve never heard anyone posit that he has crazy arm talent. I would slot him in as above average. 

25 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

I disagree. I think Lamar has around a league-average arm.

Really, I've always thought he had a pretty damn good arm just wasn't super accurate.

16 minutes ago, jpaulthe1st said:

Lamar Jackson is known for a lot of things but I’ve never heard anyone posit that he has crazy arm talent. I would slot him in as above average. 

Above-average is fair.

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Really, I've always thought he had a pretty damn good arm just wasn't super accurate.

I view it reverse. He's become a very accurate passer.

• Like 1

Just now, NYRaider said:

At this point I'd be happy with Williams, Maye, McCarthy, or Daniels. This is the year to go get a QB.

yup. id also be completely fine and pulling a washington and doubling down if someone fell into the 3rd or 4th, though with so many qb needy teams i dont see it happening. 

• Like 2