2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

12 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

I PROMISE I have been watching Sheed very. Very. Very closely.

Assignments matter when you get paid. Walker is not getting big boy assignments.

We can only hope we're smart like the eagles and let an overhyped backup go get paid.

If Walker was or is as limited as you suggest why then do opponents send there best edge rushers against Toms? I see the same limitations you describe in early season Walker, I agree he lacks the quick feet of of Bahk or even Toms, but his anticipation and positional aptitude sure have improved, some players take longer to mature, whatever I still think Toms is our LT next season.

10 hours ago, OzPackfan said:

Some very valid calls being made re Walker but at this stage I'm not even sure OT is even in our draft discussion as I dont expect Bahk to be cut as many on here do. I suspect there will be different outcome come March for him.

The Bak situation is a crap shoot at best.  Gute planning on Bak being available would be foolish.

10 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

The safety position is really hard to project in the draft this far out.  There are going to be a huge number of safeties in FA that would be upgrades over what the Packers have, some of those guys are getting franchised, but not all of them will.

It would not surprise me to see the Packers make a run at a safety they like in FA>

me too, the best safety we've had since Collins was a UFA in Amos, seems like that is the best way to do this, for at least 1 safety position

1 hour ago, turf toe said:

simple Because Walker was not ready, it's why they split his learning curve with Nijman, Toms is better able to handle the speed guys, I think if Walker had been more ready it would have happened when you said, this off season is the best time to do this anyway.

people lack confidence it seems with Walker, but he's improved a lot since early season, LT is still considered the most important position because a RH QB doesn't naturally look in that direction, and Tom is our best T, so imo thats where he'll play, well see.

You act like switching sides is like changing your underwear. Walker has played LT his whole life. Moving to the other side is not easy. It ain't broke, don't try and "fix" it. 

10 hours ago, OzPackfan said:

I think everyone can see that draft and develop is the key, but the facts are the Packers have kept Bakhtiari, Tenuta and Jones around for the last 2 years for a reason (especially Jones and Tenuta).

I just can't see us spending a high pick on an OT when Walker has shown enough for us to win with him playing.

Now we could use a 7th rounder like we did with Walker or bring in UDFA's like Tenuta and Jones but IMO it won't be a 1st or 2nd rounder.

You know there is as much evidence they kept those two around because they had no other option as there is they kept them around because they see them developing into NFL starters. 

Nijman is gone. Bak is as good as gone. You have two guys. One, Tom is a stud, another 4th round gem of an OT. The other, Walker has certainly performed admirably the last several weeks and shows promise. It's not a given he's the answer but he could turn out to be. 

I have no desire to go into next season thinking Jones and Tenuta are good enough back up tackles. I want an OT in round 2 and a couple of interior guys in 3-5 range. 

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 2

I don't see GB messing with the Walker/Tom alignment unless something like injury or poor performance forces a change.  I don't expect GB to flip them with the idea that Tom is better, so let's put Tom at LT.  If GB spends a high pick at OT, that would trigger some shuffling. 

13 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

Assignments matter when you get paid. Walker is not getting big boy assignments.

We can only hope we're smart like the eagles and let an overhyped backup go get paid.

Dillard was a FRP, a bust. Walker is a 7th round pick who is improving, whether you want to admit it or not. I was his biggest critic early on. He's been better than just serviceable. I have no idea what his ceiling is but will enjoy watching the journey. 

Today will be a big test for him and also Tom. Sweat plays a lot over the RT. It will be a big test for Rhyan as well. 

13 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

If MLF is game planning around Walker a year from now, I'll agree with this post.

12 hours ago, ChaRisMa said:

Do we like Dejean more than Kinchens? I don’t like Dejean at CB, I think he’s my top S though.

Would we hate the idea of taking Dejean and Kinchens with the first two picks?  It would certainly transform the secondary into something much different.

3 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Would we hate the idea of taking Dejean and Kinchens with the first two picks?  It would certainly transform the secondary into something much different.

I would expect an OL as one of the top 2 picks.

I still would really like them to take an offensive weapon with one of the second round picks. Legette would likely be my target there.

16 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

If things are going south and they intend on dealing Alexander, acquiring that other first, then I like this idea more.

11 minutes ago, spilltray said:

If things are going south and they intend on dealing Alexander, acquiring that other first, then I like this idea more.

Going south in what sense? The Alexander relationship? If we move Alexander, CB is definitely a need at that point. I don't see DeJean as a boundary CB in the NFL. Kinchens is a safety only. 

27 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

My balls would drain untouched. We’d still need 1 corner though at some point. I don’t see Kinchens making it past our Jets pick if he’s available no matter what. Were his floor at that point. I can sort of understand if Dejean falls into the 50s. The best plays are against scrubs, and I’m not positive he’s going to be under a 4.5 guy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

You know there is as much evidence they kept those two around because they had no other option as there is they kept them around because they see them developing into NFL starters. 

Nijman is gone. Bak is as good as gone. You have two guys. One, Tom is a stud, another 4th round gem of an OT. The other, Walker has certainly performed admirably the last several weeks and shows promise. It's not a given he's the answer but he could turn out to be. 

I have no desire to go into next season thinking Jones and Tenuta are good enough back up tackles. I want an OT in round 2 and a couple of interior guys in 3-5 range. 

This interior class seems so weak