The 2024 Draft. Tonight's the night...

vike daddy

13 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

3-1=2

3-1+1=3

I can assure you, that if the team trades up to the 4th or 5th pick with 11, 23, and a 1st next year, to draft any player they will have used three first round picks to draft that player.

They give three first round picks up to acquire a higher first round pick.  Then they give that higher first round pick up to draft the player.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

3-1+1=3

I can assure you, that if the team trades up to the 4th or 5th pick with 11, 23, and a 1st next year, to draft any player they will have used three first round picks to draft that player.

They give three first round picks up to acquire a higher first round pick.  Then they give that higher first round pick up to draft the player.

I hope if we do end up paying 3 1sts that we can get something more than just a top 5 pick. 

Ideally that pick would be in 2025. I'm still mad that we could lose that 3rd round comp pick lol

1 hour ago, wcblack34 said:

If "three picks is too much to move up," then they should have just kept Cousins. But they didn't. So you better damn sure make a move that's going to get you a guy that you believe will be better than Cousins at his best. Nix and Penix ain't it. Therefore, three first round picks it is.

I disagree with all of this.

Edited by Worm Guts

If the Vikings manage to find a way to trade up and draft Drake Maye, there needs to be an immediate petition put out for him to wear #4. 

The, hopeful, decade or more of bad puns and ridiculous headlines would be glorious!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, wcblack34 said:

If "three picks is too much to move up," then they should have just kept Cousins. But they didn't. So you better damn sure make a move that's going to get you a guy that you believe will be better than Cousins at his best. Nix and Penix ain't it. Therefore, three first round picks it is.

And aside from that, it's really only 2 first round picks, as we're getting one of them back. 

This is only true if you honestly feel Kirk Cousins is this amazing QB how is a Hall of Fame level talent.  Honestly not sure replacing him is that difficult as long as you have a QB who can complete passes, Dobbs even had success at times and he is extremely limited as a passer and in terms of his field vision and awareness.  So it is not like the Vikings have to have a John Elway level talent at QB to succeed because Kirk Cousins was not that.  So no reason for an absolute home run and if they miss just select another QB one later in the next draft.  Honestly I bet Darnold does just fine if he is the starter and is not that much off of what Kirk Cousins did with the talent around him....

Kirk puts up good stats but has yet to prove he is anything elite that makes teams win when it matters.

They paid him what $230 million and if they would have gave him what Atlanta did for this up coming season that would be what $275 soon to be $300 million+?  I am glad they are out of that cash pit and sure maybe Nix or Penix might not turn out and same can be said for Maye or McCarthy, but so what they do not cost $45 million a year at age 35 coming off a torn achilles.

Trading up makes it a one or done deal and they have no future in 2025 to select a better QB 1st round if this one does not turn out.  Might as well keep that flexibility and work on depth of the entire roster instead of just stacking the QB only.  

And how are we getting a 1st round pick back?  What if the selection trade is a great player?  Yeah sure but it is costing them three potential starters to move up to get one and even that one is most likely not even good enough to start next year.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Trading up makes it a one or done deal and they have no future in 2025 to select a better QB 1st round if this one does not turn out.

Assuming Darnold plays 10+ games or until we're eliminated from the playoffs next year we're going to have ~8 games to evaluate the rookie. Surely you're not going to give up on the 2024 rookie QB after ~8 games and draft one in 2025.

I think the earliest you're looking at the "next" QB would be the 2026 draft. That would give the rookie at least 1 full season (2025) plus whatever number of games they played in 2024, if any. Hopefully that is not a discussion we're having because the 2024 rookie turns into "the guy".

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Assuming Darnold plays 10+ games or until we're eliminated from the playoffs next year we're going to have ~8 games to evaluate the rookie. Surely you're not going to give up on the 2024 rookie QB after ~8 games and draft one in 2025.

I think the earliest you're looking at the "next" QB would be the 2026 draft. That would give the rookie at least 1 full season (2025) plus whatever number of games they played in 2024, if any. Hopefully that is not a discussion we're having because the 2024 rookie turns into "the guy".

Possibly but maybe the Vikings do not select a QB until later in the draft like one of these guys or trade up in the 2nd to get Rattler.  

An option would be to draft one of these OL at #11 and play them at starting LG next year

Troy Fautanu 
Taliese Fuaga 
JC Latham 

Then at #23 get a CB in Arnold, DeJean, Wiggins, Mitchell or McKinstry.  

Then if they want a developmental QB get one of the guys below 4th round or later and see who falls.  If that happens and they are not pleased with the developmental pick yes or totally sold they could easily address it again in 2025 but all would depend on how Darnold looks and if they resign him.

Michael Pratt
Jordan Travis 
Sam Hartman 
Joe Milton III 
Taulia Tagovailoa

Would that be the end of the world?  No I do not think so, but sure would be nice to get a QB ideally at #23 if one of the top 6 fall that far.  But it is not a must and I would not mind helping the OL, unless they feel Brandel or Feeney could become the starting LG.  Not sure they can but who knows, but I know for certain neither one is nearly as talented as those other top OL who are elite level talents especially Fautanu and Fuaga.  

Troy Fautanu OL
Cooper DeJean CB/S

2025 1st round pick.

I would not mind this haul above at all if things fall that way.  And Darnold they must like, they did give him $10 million for one year.  But have to see what happens first.  I do feel if they went OL and CB both could be starter quality players at those selections, same with edge if Turner or Verse falls but not sure they will, even Latu could be a hell of a edge player as well but depending on how they like Carter they might not need it since technically both starting spots are filled.  DT with Newton at that 23rd pick is interesting as well even with the veteran additions of Tillery, Ward and Williams.  But it is less likely DT is the pick since they did bring those three guys in.

10 minutes ago, swede700 said:

A young QB needs at least 25 starts before we generally know what he is.

True but they did not even allow that to Kellen Mond before they moved on from him, Jaren Hall they seem already wanting to move on from him.  Did not allow that to Joe Webb either or Taylor Heinicke or Todd Bouman.  

Did not even allow that to Tarvaris Jackson.  But sure many of those guys were lower picks or UDFA

9 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

True but they did not even allow that to Kellen Mond before they moved on from him, Jaren Hall they seem already wanting to move on from him.  Did not allow that to Joe Webb either or Taylor Heinicke or Todd Bouman.  

Did not even allow that to Tarvaris Jackson.  But sure many of those guys were lower picks or UDFA

Only Tarvaris was ever a starting QB, and while he didn't start 25 games, he played in 25 games (with 20 starts) before the Favre opportunity arose.  The others were all ever going to be backup QBs at best.  They weren't drafted to be starters, or in Heinicke's and Bouman's cases drafted at all.  The Tom Bradys, Rich Gannons and Brad Johnsons are exceptions to the rules. 

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Only Tarvaris was ever a starting QB, and while he didn't start 25 games, he played in 25 games (with 20 starts) before the Favre opportunity arose.  The others were all ever going to be backup QBs at best.  They weren't drafted to be starters, or in Heinicke's and Bouman's cases drafted at all. 

Well I was speaking to the concept that no way the Vikings address QB until 2026 if they take one in 2024, I am saying they could if they pass on an early selection of 1st round QBs and wait and get one later in this 2024 draft as a developmental guy.  Teams see them and move on from them quickly if they do not think there is a future.

But yes Jackson was the only one considered a starter but Webb they absolutely had hopes and absolutely did for Kellen Mond as well and the hope was he was the future starter so they could move on from Kirk.  

Neither worked out but they also did not invest a ton in either one so it was fine.  Vikings could go that route if the board does not fall and if they get a starting OG and CB instead of a QB 1st round I would be fine with it.  Sam Darnold gives them that flexibility no question about it, and I am sure they hope Darnold is a legit starter just like Mayfield was last year for the Bucs.  

@Ozzy in the post I quoted you specifically said "trading up" your response clearly moves the goal posts.

20 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Possibly but maybe the Vikings do not select a QB until later in the draft like one of these guys or trade up in the 2nd to get Rattler.  

If they don't draft a QB in the first round this year, I doubt they'd draft one at all, since they'd still have Darnold, Mullens and Hall.  They potentially could bring in a UDFA to compete with Hall, but I don't see them spending a late pick on a QB when they have so many other depth issues on the team. 

If they draft a 1st rd QB this year, I potentially see them drafting a late-round guy in 2025 solely to develop into backup, but they wouldn't spend a Day 1 or 2 pick on a QB until 2026 at the very earliest, and even then I'd think that's unlikely. 

Edited by swede700
  • Like 3