Raider Team Activity Talk (Minicamps, OTAs, Training Camp)

RaidersAreOne

58 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

That’s a lot to dream for, especially for the Raiders.  My boss has a saying “He‘d F-up a wet dream” to describe someone who can’t get out of their own way.  While it’s very plausible that we end up losing our way to drafting Williams or Maye to be our QBoF and we fire JMD to then hire a new HC whose system compliments the QB we draft…. It’s just more likely we end up worse off then we are right now and JMD is still the HC.  I’m convinced we just can’t have nice things as Raiders fans.

This team is going nowhere next season therefor I hope we suck so bad we can land the 1st pick and hopefully draft an elite QB.  Since this regime like so many others can't properly address the D, our only chance at righting this ship is to land a stud QB.  

You're right though, as Raider fans we can never have anything nice so I'm sure we will suck but not bad enough to land an elite QB.  

My biggest fear is that we miss out on the elite guys and reach for a QB who turns out to be a bust.  If that happens it will be at least three years of miserable football.

21 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Shanahan record with Jimmy G: 38-17 (69%)

Shanahan record without Jimmy G: 14-29 (32%)

Why has the great Shanahan been one of the best coaches in the league with Jimmy and one of the worst without him if he's so bad? We have a 6 year sample size too, I'll take that over a 6 game sample size of Purdy playing well with CMC/Deebo/Ayiuk/Kittle all healthy something Jimmy never really had.

This is a good point and interesting to ponder……..

Maybe, even though Garoppolo isn’t a very good QB he is decent and much better than his backups at those times - I simply can’t recall who the backups were so please enlighten me if you know - maybe he had easier opponents or maybe he has specific skills that cater to the offence that Shanahan wants to run that the backups didn’t? Maybe other players were injured at the same time Garoppolo was? There are a myriad of variables so I really don’t know.

Of course you have the counter point too;

If Garoppolo is ‘just a winner’ and a ‘Superbowl QB’ then coming here to a team who was in the playoff hunt last year until late and made the playoffs the year before he should simply ‘just win baby’ should he? We should definitely make the playoffs with him shouldn’t we? 

Assuming he’s fit of course, then we should find out if he’s ‘just a winner’ as he’ll win here too……….

12 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Bro… if we cut Jimmy G the seasons over literally before it begins.  There’s no trading for a new QB to try and resurrect the little hope we have for this season.

you don’t trade for a QB… you trade Adams immediately and salvage his value.

But in this scenario, we’ll be drafting a new QB next year won’t we? And likely very high, so wouldn't Adams be a great crutch for a rookie QB? He’s the type of receiver who doesn’t win with overwhelming athleticism so he should age well and be a major asset for a young QB over a couple years.

40 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

But in this scenario, we’ll be drafting a new QB next year won’t we? And likely very high, so wouldn't Adams be a great crutch for a rookie QB? He’s the type of receiver who doesn’t win with overwhelming athleticism so he should age well and be a major asset for a young QB over a couple years.

Of course Adams would be clutch for a rookie QB.  That’s not even debatable.  He’s the best WR to pair with a rookie QB.  The question is will Adams be willing to suffer thru this season and then play with a rookie QB.  I don’t see how that’s advantageous to Adams though.  I just see him wanting out.  If i was him I would.

8 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

At least Carpenter was critical of the Jimmy G signing.  I’ll give him that.  And his Memorial Day message at the end was very sincere and kind.  

However, if he KNEW Jimmy G about the injury and not likely to be at OTAs and some TC, why didn’t he report it?  He’s a reporter right, they report stories as they learn about them.  There are only 2 possibilities here:  1) he’s lying about knowing about the injury story 2) he held back on the story to protect the team.

So “Mr Hold ME Accountable” can’t have it both ways.  I think he knew about the injury and didn’t report it. The delay in the Press Conference to report the signing was hyper-suspect.  I’m sure there were rumblings in the building that he heard.  I just think it’s ridiculous he didn’t report it once he substantiated the rumor/news.

Edited by jimkelly02
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Of course Adams would be clutch for a rookie QB.  That’s not even debatable.  He’s the best WR to pair with a rookie QB.  The question is will Adams be willing to suffer thru this season and then play with a rookie QB.  I don’t see how that’s advantageous to Adams though.  I just see him wanting out.  If i was him I would.

I guess it’s a personal thing. If he is a genuine fan of the team and grew up a fan he may want to have a hand in helping the turnaround and development of a new QB, trying to get his favourite team into contention again, I can see the draw of that but he’d have to believe in the coaches and FO. Then again, if he’s purely interested in trying to win no matter what, or if he wants to spend his last couple years on a contender then I guess he might want a trade.

There’s probably a deal to be had with the Saints……….

1 hour ago, jimkelly02 said:

At least Carpenter was critical of the Jimmy G signing.  I’ll give him that.  And his Memorial Day message at the end was very sincere and kind.  

However, if he KNEW Jimmy G about the injury and not likely to be at OTAs and some TC, why didn’t he report it?  He’s a reporter right, they report stories as they learn about them.  There are only 2 possibilities here:  1) he’s lying about knowing about the injury story 2) he held back on the story to protect the team.

So “Mr Hold ME Accountable” can’t have it both ways.  I think he knew about the injury and didn’t report it. The delay in the Press Conference to report the signing was hyper-suspect.  I’m sure there were rumblings in the building that he heard.  I just think it’s ridiculous he didn’t report it once he substantiated the rumor/news.

OTAs can important but they aren’t mandatory. In years past many veterans would completely skip all together including QBs. 

6 hours ago, Darbsk said:

This is a good point and interesting to ponder……..

Maybe, even though Garoppolo isn’t a very good QB he is decent and much better than his backups at those times - I simply can’t recall who the backups were so please enlighten me if you know - maybe he had easier opponents or maybe he has specific skills that cater to the offence that Shanahan wants to run that the backups didn’t? Maybe other players were injured at the same time Garoppolo was? There are a myriad of variables so I really don’t know.

Of course you have the counter point too;

If Garoppolo is ‘just a winner’ and a ‘Superbowl QB’ then coming here to a team who was in the playoff hunt last year until late and made the playoffs the year before he should simply ‘just win baby’ should he? We should definitely make the playoffs with him shouldn’t we? 

Assuming he’s fit of course, then we should find out if he’s ‘just a winner’ as he’ll win here too……….

You selling Jimmy short he arrived in SF after they came off a brutal year and immediately went 5-0 as the starter  before injury. Nick Mullen and CJ Beathard two young QBs who were hyped up at one point or another won 1 game the rest of the way, but Shanahan makes QB'S look good right. Even in the seasons cut short by injury Garappolo has had a winning record before injury. Enter Mullens, Beathard and Hoyer seasons lost without Jimmy G. First full healthy season 13-3. Completion percentage and Qbr up there with the best of them.. Health is the main issue obviously, but on field play he does alot of things better than the former guy with a less talented arm.

Now you can't tell me that a healthy Jimmy G can't run an offense that has arguably the best wr in football, a solid #2 wr. Two speedy slot receivers assuming Renfrow is gone even better if he's not, an A plus draft pick baby Gronk, Kittle type TE and another solid vet pass catching TE. Top 5 running back in the backfield.

You want to argue OL, I have faith in Bricillo. Even just moving Elu to guard and starting Munford at RT should be an upgrade keep Bars far away. I can argue the offense is solid enough for a young QB to enjoy lots of weapons, however I don't want to see that this year and prefer a healthy Jimmy G. So the usual suspects saying the entire team is trash are just making noise because the offense has potential to be top 10 and it's a fallacy to think that Jimmy won't be feeding Adams.

Edited by raidr4life
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

If We’re picking that high JMD can’t come back… we simply can’t waste the rookie year with JMD, you gotta bring in a new coach and not leave such a high pick in purgatory.

Absolutely agree. At that point we are obviously picking QB and we have to match that QB with a new coach that will be in the same timeline. 

22 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I think it just depends on how the season goes but I'm assuming he'll get at least until mid year 3 before he gets fired. The real question for me is if JMD/DZ are let go together or if DZ gets more time here. 

I lean more towards giving DZ more time than McDaniels. That just me though. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I think that anything below a 7 win season and JM should be canned.  I expected to see much more in terms of progress/ talent and one can argue that the current roster is weaker overall than the one they had to start their first season.  A regression from year one to year two with the FA cash we had and a full compliment of draft capital is unacceptable in my eyes.  

We had nearly 50M to spend this offseason and walked away with zero impact players.  Our D is in shambles and not much capital was allocated to address this which is quite concerning.  It tells me one of two things about JM/DZ.  One, they purposely neglected addressing the many holes on D or two, players and agents want nothing to do with this regime.  Ether way it is not a good look.   

A bottom tier D, a porous Oline, a below average QB who is made of glass, a RB who is holding out, a HC that with .378 winning percentage for his career and a stud WR who I feel is not going to react well once this team starts to stack losses and he is not getting the rock like he is accustomed to.  

There is not much to look forward to this year other than dreaming about us being so bad we can land the next elite, stud Qb whoever that may be.  

The big question is if we are picking top 5 next year will JM survive that type of season?  My guess is no. 

I’m in the frame of thought that if we pick in the top ten again it’s time to take a stern look at the HC position and really consider moving on. I would not do it without knowing who is available and what the alternatives are though. 

3 minutes ago, FloydFan said:

I’m in the frame of thought that if we pick in the top ten again it’s time to take a stern look at the HC position and really consider moving on. I would not do it without knowing who is available and what the alternatives are though. 

if we end up with a top 10 pick then JM needs to be toast.  Two full off seasons and such a significant regression is unacceptable especially with the terrible contracts/ contract extensions they have handed out over the last two years. 

The sad part is that I have little confidence in Davis to hire a great HC.  Old man Davis and Lloyd Christmas have an abysmal HC track record over the last 30 years.  

4 hours ago, raidr4life said:

You selling Jimmy short he arrived in SF after they came off a brutal year and immediately went 5-0 as the starter  before injury.

I’m not ‘selling’ Garoppolo at all, I said ‘I really don’t know’ and that it was a good point and interesting discussion to be had!

I genuinely don’t know why he has such a stark record compared to the backups, we did have Mullens here mind and he was terrible.

I’m genuinely fascinated to see what he will do with a very decent supporting cast. McDaniels has a hand picked guy who he trusts to run his system, his way, so I guess there’s little excuse to be made. Obviously I want him to win as much as possible here, by that I mean the whole team of course but I don’t see t he makings of a contender really. I’d be very impressed if he came in and contended straight away. 

18 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

I’m not ‘selling’ Garoppolo at all, I said ‘I really don’t know’ and that it was a good point and interesting discussion to be had!

I genuinely don’t know why he has such a stark record compared to the backups, we did have Mullens here mind and he was terrible.

I’m genuinely fascinated to see what he will do with a very decent supporting cast. McDaniels has a hand picked guy who he trusts to run his system, his way, so I guess there’s little excuse to be made. Obviously I want him to win as much as possible here, by that I mean the whole team of course but I don’t see t he makings of a contender really. I’d be very impressed if he came in and contended straight away. 

Well you literally said he isn't very good. Then saying maybe he had easier opponents than his backups or good players could have been hurt at the same time as Jimmy is a huge stretch over the course of that many games. The answer you are looking for is he's actually a good QB when healthy.

Edited by raidr4life