Jordan Love Appreciation Thread

vegas492

7 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

The failure to hit the layups early really killed us.  Not sure what was up on the INT?  I think his arm might have been grazed as he released it.  If not it's duck of the year candidate.  He showed some grit late, but the damage was done.  Not good enough tonight. 

Sorry, for all that didn't go right for Love in this game .. he fought back, put them ahead and their jack wagon D coordinator lost it for him.  Kudos to Love for fighting through the issues and daggers/get rid of Barry for pissing it away.

• Like 1

Looked to me like the G-Men were blitzing Jordan often and he was quite rattled in the first half.  His play caller didn't do him many favors, either.

But...as the game went on, he seemed to identify the blitzes better and he seemed to be checking to different protections to give him time to get the ball out.

All signs of growth if you ask me.

And really, what I saw last night was a defense who was not scared of the deep ball at all.  No Watson?  Bring those corners and safeties up.  Play games.  I'll bet that defense would have changed if Watson had played.

But...he didn't and they got the best of us.

• Like 1

Just now, vegas492 said:

Looked to me like the G-Men were blitzing Jordan often and he was quite rattled in the first half.  His play caller didn't do him many favors, either.

But...as the game went on, he seemed to identify the blitzes better and he seemed to be checking to different protections to give him time to get the ball out.

All signs of growth if you ask me.

And really, what I saw last night was a defense who was not scared of the deep ball at all.  No Watson?  Bring those corners and safeties up.  Play games.  I'll bet that defense would have changed if Watson had played.

But...he didn't and they got the best of us.

We did a ****load too much running around - flipping the ball back and forth between players - behind the LOS.

Why be afraid of the long ball when our WRs logged more miles running laterally behind the LOS than stretching the defense vertically...and not to rub a sore point, but Love's not exactly a shining example of how to throw and complete the long ball yet. More often, they're all over the place.

51 minutes ago, Leader said:

We did a ****load too much running around - flipping the ball back and forth between players - behind the LOS.

Why be afraid of the long ball when our WRs logged more miles running laterally behind the LOS than stretching the defense vertically...and not to rub a sore point, but Love's not exactly a shining example of how to throw and complete the long ball yet. More often, they're all over the place.

I liked the motion sets.  I didn't like it on the 2 point conversion when we had more or less exhausted the play, but I like those sets.

What we lacked was a deep shot.  We needed something to pull defenders deep to open up the underneath stuff.  

And that was really lacking last night.

I also felt like MLF called a "meh" game.  It wasn't horrible, but it also wasn't good.

What I did like is how Love seemed to figure out the blitz later in the game and set the protections better.

That is a huge development for me concerning Love.  The ability to see it and counter it.  I wish it would have happened sooner, but I have to remember...he's still in his first year as a starter.  So I'll take that as a nice little win and hope that he counters those blitzes earlier in the future.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I liked the motion sets.

Motion sets are fine....strategic even....but we were actually giving the ball up to run laterally way too often IMO.

Hell...I think we ran at least two double reverses....maybe with a flea flicker added in there!

Give it a break Coach.

As for deep vertical patterns....I cant say how often somebody was run deep given how I tend to follow the ball, but we certainly didnt complete anything along those lines - and while it may not be optimal, Toure, Heath etc....these guys are capable of running fly or post patterns. Now...whether #10's gonna get the ball there with any semblance of depth and accuracy? A different thing. He needs to get better.

11 minutes ago, Bumski said:

Love is getting the full GB QB treatment. 

Poor defense and worse ST play. 

Love's getting an honest assessment of his play....which has been up and down...or inconsistent.

I came into last night game with the following thoughts as it pertains to Love...

Okay....we shredded DET's secondary. Not too tough when you consider it. I was more concerned about their DL. (Btw....CHI just finished doing the same thing).

We shredded the LAC's secondary. Again, not a tall task.

I was actually more impressed by his effort against KC. Not because their secondary is a demon....but their overall defense exceeds either DET or the LAC IMO.

Last night was a step back. Not till the very end - when he did make some seriously nice passes - his passes were all over the place. WR's were jumping left / right / up & down trying to bring them in. Now....MetLife has a history of wind gusts causing problems in the passing game...but I didnt get the sense that was an issue last night...certainly not to the degree it's happened in the past. 

I want Love to succeed. No question about that, but that starts with achieving a level of consistency necessary to win (consistently) at this level. He's young (certainly in terms of games played...) so I'm not going overboard or burying the guy.

Edited by Leader

Will Levis is defying all odds.

Defensive coordinator.

Low talent at skills (Hopkins is not the same).

Rookie year, no time to sit.

Close to 60% and above 7.1 YPA.

He’s in a worse situation than people accused Love of being in and he’s performing better.

After last night, Love fell below 7 YPA again on the season. He had a DREADFUL 5.6 YPA.

CJ Stroud is the top of this class and there’s no doubt about that. The Texans are devoid of offensive talent and they have a first year DEFENSIVE head coach. If Stroud doesn’t retire with a Super Bowl win, he got hurt (bad), or the Texans fail him.

Will Levis is second though.

2 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Someone (on another site) called Love a game manager at best. He isn't that, quite the opposite.

At worst he is a streaky QB where you are not sure what you will get, week to week. At best he steadily becomes more reliable and turns into a top tier QB. I don't know which of those is the future, not yet.

This is not the worst thing.

I mentioned a while back (while I was my hardest on Love), you can win a Super Bowl with a streaky QB. Eli Manning was a streaky QB. Probably the best example of that type. Same with Flacco. Same with Foles.

You can win Super Bowls with streaky quarterbacks, but not if they’re paid like franchise quarterbacks.

Anybody perfectly in the middle on Love love and Love criticism can see that Love should not be paid like a franchise QB. He should be paid a tier under that and reset the QB market in the other way. Until a team takes a stand and trades their QB demanding too much or until a QB relents and signs a mid-tier QB contract, the myth of the franchise QB is dead.

6 minutes ago, MacReady said:

Will Levis is defying all odds.

Defensive coordinator.

Low talent at skills (Hopkins is not the same).

Rookie year, no time to sit.

Close to 60% and above 7.1 YPA.

He’s in a worse situation than people accused Love of being in and he’s performing better.

After last night, Love fell below 7 YPA again on the season. He had a DREADFUL 5.6 YPA.

CJ Stroud is the top of this class and there’s no doubt about that. The Texans are devoid of offensive talent and they have a first year DEFENSIVE head coach. If Stroud doesn’t retire with a Super Bowl win, he got hurt (bad), or the Texans fail him.

Will Levis is second though.

Box score scouting.

Recently, Levis is living off a 150 QBR game where 100% of his TDs, 46% of his completions and 67% of his yards were when his team was down 27-0. None of his games other than ATL have been impressive. 

Hopkins has double the yardage of any receiver Love is working with. He's been excellent. 

You don't watch Titans games, this much is clear. 

• Like 5