Jordan Love Appreciation Thread

vegas492

11 minutes ago, TVScout said:

Was Favre's misbehaviors worse than Rodgers' ?

Are we talking "during their careers" or are we counting Brett Favre conspiring to defraud the state of Mississippi?

Like addiction, **** pics, and conspiratorial podcasts are a different sort of thing than "welfare fraud" which is an actual crime.

12 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Are we talking "during their careers" or are we counting Brett Favre conspiring to defraud the state of Mississippi?

Like addiction, **** pics, and conspiratorial podcasts are a different sort of thing than "welfare fraud" which is an actual crime.

Either way the answer is yes. Being a sex pest is worse than being a conspiracy theorist.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, TVScout said:

I probably should have asked a slightly different question.  Would the Packers management have traded Rodgers if Love was a bust?

Probably.  When they made the Love selection, Rodgers had just come off of an injured 2017, then 18 and 19 campaigns of impressive TD:INT seasons but looking like he was playing more to not throw INTs than scoring points. Add to that, that he was turning 37 in 2020, you can see the thinking behind the Love pick.  Picking Love started a timer.  Love would have had to have been catastrophically bad to not get a chance.

Just for an exercise, let's say that Love was bad last season.  Do we really think that he would be so bad that we wouldn't have still been better than Carolina, Arizona, Washington, or New England? If we snuck out just 5 wins, we pick 5th or 6th. So we are looking at Penix, Nix, McCarthy as QB options with a returning bad version of Love and Clifford.  

I still think that the timing of drafting Love was wrong.  But, the Packers have not been in the position to draft anyone that I would entertain trading him for since the selection.  With one part foresight and one part luck, it worked out for the Packers.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TVScout said:

I probably should have asked a slightly different question.  Would the Packers management have traded Rodgers if Love was a bust?

Trading Rodgers was more about Rodgers than Love.  Rodgers was clearly on the decline, was unhappy, and was creating a problem for the team with the stuff he did to stay in the news.  They were going to trade him anyway just to find out what they had with Love.  If Love fell on his face, they would have just moved on to the next option, whoever that was.

4 hours ago, TVScout said:

Where have you been for the last 30 years? The Packers do not fail at quarterback. 

4 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I still think that the timing of drafting Love was wrong.  But, the Packers have not been in the position to draft anyone that I would entertain trading him for since the selection.  With one part foresight and one part luck, it worked out for the Packers.

The timing was just about right. Sure a year later would have been sweet but if they believed Love could be the guy, you can’t hope someone you like as much will be available next year. 2020 set the timeline back a solid year.  If we had everything with camp and preseason going on schedule, maybe we believe in Love enough to make that trade to Denver.  In hindsight that would have been an insane haul but I’m glad we got some compensation, cleared a huge contract and of course got to see Love develop. He has plenty to prove this year but “can he play?” is not In question. How good can he be,  can he sustain elite level play and make everybody around him better is the question at hand.

It's obvious the Packers FO had an incredibly high grade on Jordan Love.  What I'd be curious about his what other QBs in the past that the Packers scouts have really liked, but just didn't take for other reasons (e.g. he was gone, they had an entrenched HoF and other needs, etc.)  They were linked to Drew Lock the year before, but he went between the Packers 2nd FRP (Savage) and 1st SRP (Jenkins).

Like a thing that people forget about the Love pick is that Rodgers was coming off one of his worst seasons as a Packer so there was reason to believe time was running out.  The pick made him mad enough that he won two more MVPs, but he was previously on the decline.

16 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

It's obvious the Packers FO had an incredibly high grade on Jordan Love.  What I'd be curious about his what other QBs in the past that the Packers scouts have really liked, but just didn't take for other reasons (e.g. he was gone, they had an entrenched HoF and other needs, etc.)  They were linked to Drew Lock the year before, but he went between the Packers 2nd FRP (Savage) and 1st SRP (Jenkins).

Like a thing that people forget about the Love pick is that Rodgers was coming off one of his worst seasons as a Packer so there was reason to believe time was running out.  The pick made him mad enough that he won two more MVPs, but he was previously on the decline.

I kind of see what you are getting at with, "what other quarterbacks the Packers were interested in."

I don't think the hindsight will work in this situation. The reality is teams ruin what could be really good quarterbacks by throwing them into the fire when can't possibly succeed. 

Patience is the best thing you can have with a young quarterback, resisting the urge to get them on the field. It ruins so many quarterbacks, yet teams still do it. 

19 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I remember once upon a time that they supposedly really liked Charlie Frye.  I also read some stuff that they really liked Jason Campbell the year they drafted Rodgers.  I can't really offer any concrete proof of either connection, so who knows.  

Despite only really having 2 starters for the last 30 or so years, they really have churned through the back-up QBs.  Only Doug Pederson and Matt Flynn really had any lengthy tenure as back-up.

21 hours ago, TVScout said:

Was Favre's misbehaviors worse than Rodgers' ?

Favre abused pharmaceuticals, went to a rival to spite the packers after using retirement as a weird threat, pocketed money from a poor state and maybe committed fraud, reportedly cheated on his wife, and even dipped his pen in the company ink. He was also kind of an A hole to the Packers and Rodgers when they drafted him

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I don't think the hindsight will work in this situation. The reality is teams ruin what could be really good quarterbacks by throwing them into the fire when can't possibly succeed. 

For every player, the most important thing for "will he succeed or not" is generally "the match between the player and the program."   This is something teams put a lot of emphasis on that the draft media simply cannot even begin to consider.  Like it's not hard to see that Patrick Mahomes might not have become Patrick Mahomes if he went to the Bears and he was roped into playing in week 5.  But while there are some things you can really only learn when you're not getting ready to play a game, there are likewise things you can only learn by getting live reps.  It's possible that Josh Allen would have never became Josh Allen if you sat him.

But I think the reason for this (and the reason for a lot of problems in the NFL in general) is that every decision maker is making decisions specifically to avoid losing their job.  The argument a coach or GM might make a la "you can't fire me until we find out if this guy is good enough" doesn't really hold water if you're not putting the guy in the game.

2 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

Favre abused pharmaceuticals, went to a rival to spite the packers after using retirement as a weird threat, pocketed money from a poor state and maybe committed fraud, reportedly cheated on his wife, and even dipped his pen in the company ink. He was also kind of an A hole to the Packers and Rodgers when they drafted him

Which QB was more of a cancer in the locker room?

3 hours ago, Old Guy said:

I kind of see what you are getting at with, "what other quarterbacks the Packers were interested in."

Patience is the best thing you can have with a young quarterback, resisting the urge to get them on the field. It ruins so many quarterbacks, yet teams still do it. 

That depends on each individual QB prospect. Natural QBs like Elway, Montana, Marino, Brady, and some others can be thrown to the wolves because they already know how to shoot. The guys that don't go on the regular season field usually have major flaws with mechanics. That was the biggest obstacle for Romo and now Trey Lance. Garoppolo and many others had to travel the same path. Dak might have been a better QB if the plan to let him sit for a year or 2 wasn't ruined by Romo's back.