Jordan Love Appreciation Thread

vegas492

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I honestly think that depends on the play of the OL.  It took a while for them to get things right.  Love looked real good week 1, with David Bakhtiari kicking all of the *** that there was to kick.  Then he struggled while the OL was working thorough some things.  Love also seemed to turn a corner at around the same time, so it is perhaps a chicken and egg riddle.

If you look at the very limited sample size, Love's floor has been average to slightly below average, while his height has been pushing all-time levels.  And part of the lows of his career were with other very young players also trying to find their way in the league.  The Packers look to be in good hands at the QB position.

This:  "I honestly think that depends on the play of the OL"

To which I'll add: health. We've gotta stay healthy.

What we saw grow in the 2nd half of last season was a multi-tiered and faceted offense clicking on all cylinders. An offense that could take on all comers.

Well....with a few changes (Improvements? Hope so...) here and there...that offense is gonna be back and loaded for bear.

Ask me....the defense is the wild card. I'm hoping our new DC and coaching staff present a new / more effective D.

We get that this year....I like our chances against anybody.

Edited by Leader

The improvement against the blitz might have had as much to do with the improved coordination between Love and his receivers as it did with the play of the OL. Understanding who the hot read is in a blitz situation is essential. 

• Like 1

Early last year we were playing behind the sticks so much because of penalties and tfl. 

This narrowed our available playbook and made it easy to defend.

Love got better when the OL stopped doing those thing.

Then they tried to blitz love and he demonstrated he can read it and set the OL accordingly, then find the hole in the defense. Thats when the chunk plays came. 

On 5/20/2024 at 3:12 PM, skibrett15 said:

My point is more that Jordan Love just had a really good season for a first year starting QB.  One of the best ever.

And if he plays like he did vs SF after signing a market extension he will have played as bad or worse than most of Aaron Rodgers' disappointing playoff exits.

It's hard to hold both of these things in your mind at the same time.  They seem to interact like matter/antimatter.  But both are true and just 2 neutrino ships passing in the night.

I always try to look past the QB for team losses, as with losses with Rodgers, Love did enough for us to win that game, but since the QB has the ball on every offensive play, they tend to garner the most angst when we lose, pressure was intense that 4th quarter, he was scrambling on every pass play, have to give creed to the Niners they dialed up there best late in that game, it was the same with Rodgers

On 5/24/2024 at 5:07 PM, Brat&Beer said:

The improvement against the blitz might have had as much to do with the improved coordination between Love and his receivers as it did with the play of the OL. Understanding who the hot read is in a blitz situation is essential. 

Reporters I really respect (or at least people who grind film vs the pundit class) seemed to all feel that Love was actually doing well during his slump, it was that his receivers weren't quite where they were supposed to be. 

I said this in the Vikes threat too, but I feel like I see it frequently and its really not true. I know this is kind of nit-picking because there was definitely a period in the first part of the season where Love didn't play well. However, I always see people split it up as if he played terribly the entire first half of the season. That's not accurate. He played well vs the bears, falcons and led a great comeback vs New Orleans. To start the season and was leading the league in TDs super early after those games IIRC. He also played pretty well vs the Rams in the "first half" of the season. So really it was more like he played poorly in the 2nd quarter of the season and played pretty impressive for a first-year starter for nearly 3/4 of the season.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2024 at 2:37 PM, Mr Bad Example said:

Reporters I really respect (or at least people who grind film vs the pundit class) seemed to all feel that Love was actually doing well during his slump, it was that his receivers weren't quite where they were supposed to be. 

I don't know, he was short arming a lot of passes.  And turning the ball over quite a bit.  I am willing to chalk some of that up to the young pass catchers and an OL that took some lumps.  But we can't absolve the QB either.  In weeks 4-8 he threw for less than 250 yards, and less than 200 against the Raiders and Broncos.  Looking at the stat sheet, he was not great against the Giants or Panthers either.  

• Like 1

The offense in general was out of sync early in the season.  Independent of anything Love was doing, Jones was injured, the OL also had early injuries, the TE's and WR's doing all sorts of crazy stuff early on.  Most of that was sorted out later in the season.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I don't know, he was short arming a lot of passes.  And turning the ball over quite a bit.  I am willing to chalk some of that up to the young pass catchers and an OL that took some lumps.  But we can't absolve the QB either.  In weeks 4-8 he threw for less than 250 yards, and less than 200 against the Raiders and Broncos.  Looking at the stat sheet, he was not great against the Giants or Panthers either.  

It was a "he is better than his numbers" sort of talk. 

But the O was fearsome when things started clicking. 

4 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

It was a "he is better than his numbers" sort of talk. 

But the O was fearsome when things started clicking. 

If they came out of the gate firing on all cylinders this season they are going to win a hell of a lot of games.  Our O was great down the stretch .. guys wide open all over the field. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

If they came out of the gate firing on all cylinders this season they are going to win a hell of a lot of games.  Our O was great down the stretch .. guys wide open all over the field. 

Even last year with the offense struggling for the first half of the season, GB was 9-8 with a stunning playoff win (and a white-knuckle loss vs the franchise's personal bete noir). 

I honestly think the missing piece is a good or better DC. Here's hoping Hafley is that guy. 

"We're in those conversations right now. The nice part about this is none of these things are always easy or fast, but both parties want the same thing. We'd like to get this done before training camp for sure." — Packers GM Brian Gutekunst on extension talks with Jordan Love
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Brat&Beer said:
"We're in those conversations right now. The nice part about this is none of these things are always easy or fast, but both parties want the same thing. We'd like to get this done before training camp for sure." — Packers GM Brian Gutekunst on extension talks with Jordan Love

Gotta think it's done now and they're just waiting to announce it. 

11 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Gotta think it's done now and they're just waiting to announce it. 

Whenever it happens and whatever the number, there’s obviously going to be some sticker shock. I just hope it gives us some flexibility where he can restructure a bit when it’s time to resign some weapons. Can’t keep ‘em all but if we keep drafting well that’s a good problem to have. Love should have generational life changing money soon and from everything I’ve seen, he seems like a guy who will keep his head screwed on tight when it happens. Still, that much money and pressure can affect anyone, hope he embraces it. 

• 2 weeks later...