Jordan Love Appreciation Thread

vegas492

22 minutes ago, squire12 said:

see below

looking for a 1st/2nd year WR to step in and be an alpha WR is a big ask.  yes it can happen with a top tier prospect like Chase, Jefferson, but those players are first round type players and early in the case of Chase.  

That's not the post I was responding to.

1 hour ago, KFP7 said:

did you know that very few animals have the patience to store food?  Most just gobble what they have down as quickly as their throats will allow.  Not the field mouse though.  Not only will it create stores of food, but it will do so in multiple places, providing a buffer for them to survive winter. 

Yes I just spent 15 minutes googling field mice to try and find something about them that shows patience. 

I have been told of a certain sea snake which has a very unusual method of attracting its prey... It will lie at the bottom of the ocean as if wounded. Then its enemies will approach, and yet it will lie quite still. And then its enemies will take little bites of it, and yet it remains still.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Laces Out said:

I have been told of a certain sea snake which has a very unusual method of attracting its prey... It will lie at the bottom of the ocean as if wounded. Then its enemies will approach, and yet it will lie quite still. And then its enemies will take little bites of it, and yet it remains still.

I know I've heard this quote from a movie but can't place it...

edit: Gladiator, great movie

Edited by KFP7
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Mox said:

That's not the post I was responding to.

OK.  in the context of the situation, yes Jennings and Nelson became elite/alpha WR.  GB would benefit from having that type of WR.  Expecting a rookie/2nd year WR to be that player is asking a lot.  

6 hours ago, packfanfb said:

I don't think it's a patience issue. I think it's talent, especially for guys like Watson and Doubs. They are decent players, I don't expect them to really ever be anything more. Musgrave - there I'm with you, I see a more talented player who needs time. Reed falls in between. 

So decent young players, but Love needs his alpha. He needs his Jennings, Nelson, Adams. That guy isn't on this team. 

I put it more on the coaching. Catching the ball is about as fundamental as it gets and judging by this season (especially last week), the receivers (WR/TE/RB) are dropping balls too frequently. Vrable, Dunn and Sirmans need to emphasise this more. Everything looks much better when you are catching the ball with a high frequency.

Maybe the Packers break the mould and draft a receiver high in round one (Marvin Harrison Jr) - but somehow I doubt it and fully expect an OT with their first pick.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

8 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I put it more on the coaching. Catching the ball is about as fundamental as it gets and judging by this season (especially last week), the receivers (WR/TE/RB) are dropping balls too frequently. Vrable, Dunn and Sirmans need to emphasise this more. Everything looks much better when you are catching the ball with a high frequency.

Maybe the Packers break the mould and draft a receiver high in round one (Marvin Harrison Jr) - but somehow I doubt it and full expect an OT with their first pick.

We are taking a QB if we end up with a top 3 pick. No way around it.

7 minutes ago, StatKing said:

Only Maye...he may go 1st overall.  Otherwise no trade back.  Have to rebuild the O-line first and foremost.  A lot of other needs as well.  They should take a QB but probably in middle rounds. This is going to be a multi-year process.  Gute better be studying up on QB's.  Not only the draft but also around the league.  Leave no stone unturned until we find the guy.  They gave lip service about how they believe in Love.  He hasn't proven himself yet.  Dude better pick it up...

6 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

we could trade the pick

We need blue chip talent at too many positions and we might not have a pick this high in a deep QB draft for awhile. I wouldn't be surprised if we trade down because of how inept our front office is but it would be a mistake to not strongly consider taking a QB. We don't owe Love anything, the Niners traded 3 firsts for Trey Lance and he didn't even get a real shot to play. Its time we catch up with the rest of the league on how things are run.

5 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Only Maye...he may go 1st overall.  Otherwise no trade back.  Have to rebuild the O-line first and foremost.  A lot of other needs as well.  They should take a QB but probably in middle rounds. This is going to be a multi-year process.  Gute better be studying up on QB's.  Not only the draft but also around the league.  Leave no stone unturned until we find the guy.  They gave lip service about how they believe in Love.  He hasn't proven himself yet.  Dude better pick it up...

The OL is not nearly as bad as you guys think it is. Love can't read a defense.

12 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Well there is that too.  But no the O-line is horrid.  Tom and Jenkins are the only decent starters. 

Does he have to have the 90s Cowboys OL to look competent? The OL has absolutely nothing to do with his inability to throw basic NFL passes. This guy is in year 4, he should be able to throw swing passes and 5 yard outs on the money every single time, there should be no "well it was a catchable ball", he doesn't get the benefit of doubt when he hasn't shown he can be consistently accurate whatsoever.

1 hour ago, StatKing said:

I agree.  I think if Love doesn't flip the switch this year to a point where he's clearly the guy we are taking a QB somewhere in the first two rounds.  If it's not a Caleb or Drake then it's going to be a McCarthy, Nix or Penix.  Lot of pressure on Love after today's comments from Gute, in my opinion. 

Edited by {Family Ghost}

22 minutes ago, StatKing said:

Does he have to have the 90s Cowboys OL to look competent? The OL has absolutely nothing to do with his inability to throw basic NFL passes. This guy is in year 4, he should be able to throw swing passes and 5 yard outs on the money every single time, there should be no "well it was a catchable ball", he doesn't get the benefit of doubt when he hasn't shown he can be consistently accurate whatsoever.

Pretty soon there's going to be a point where there are no more excuses. It's just that last week was a microcosm of how little help the receivers are giving him.  Six to eight drops on balls that were catchable.  They probably dropped 100 yards worth of footballs out there. It was embarrassing.  

Edited by {Family Ghost}