2018 Free Agency targets

AZBearsFan

1 hour ago, IronMike84 said:

I feel the exact same way about Fuller as I did with Alshon, in that it would hurt to lose him, drafted talent needs to be retained, but the “just pay him whatever he wants so that he doesn’t leave” mentality sets a horrible precedent and is pretty short-sighted.

I agree to an extent, but we can't keep letting young talent go to other teams.  We are hurting ourselves if we aren't willing to pay slightly above value to get our young corps to stick around.

2 hours ago, G08 said:

For me, I'm going all-in on Sammy Watkins, if that doesn't work then I'm not letting Allen Robinson out of my sight.

Yeah, for the Nagy offense Watkins would be a home run to me. He has far more size than Tyreek too. You’d think that the offer of the role to be that guy in our offense would have a lot of appeal. 

33 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Yeah, for the Nagy offense Watkins would be a home run to me. He has far more size than Tyreek too. You’d think that the offer of the role to be that guy in our offense would have a lot of appeal. 

He would be a nice addition. I would expect a pretty competive market for him.

But any combination of Watkins, Robinson and Wilson would move WR down to a day 3 need in my books.

4 hours ago, Epyon said:

I don't think we're a division contender this year regardless.... The system itself takes time to learn.  I'd rather do that with people I like long term... and while Robinson would easily be the best guy from the roookie-heavy setup I mentioned year one, I find him even less exciting long term than I did Jarvis Landry.

Doesn’t mean I want to see Trubisky struggle all year throwing to unproven rookies and young guys making mistakes.

This year is about Trubisky taking a step, and to do that we need some consistent weapons.

Despite the speed difference Allen Robinson is one of the most efficient deep ball catchers in the NFL. 

Either will do.

But if you look at Trubisky, in college he had a lot of success with big outside guys and killing people in the slot. That might be a vote for Robinson.

My guess is Robinson is more likely to be the guy with all the smoke around LA and SF duelling it out for Watkins.

I just heard Seattle is letting Jimmy Graham go.  It didn't seem like he has done much the last two years but it also seems like it was the OC didn't know how to use the shinny new toy.  Any body else thinking he might be a target for the right price?

It sounds like Robinson and Watkins will both hit the market. This is Big for a number of reasons,

1. It will keep 1 single guy from dominating the market. SF goes all in on Watkins, the Bears can pivot to Robinson.
2. It kills the Dolphins leverage on Landry, they may rescind the tag, as teams have better options.
3. The Bears could have access to a #1 WR which moves the need down in the draft.

Vincent Franks

To be clear, 49ers will make a strong push for Allen Robinson. Probably top-three WR money. But Lynch came away shocked by Sutton's athleticism. 

It makes sense. Sign Robinson (true No. 1), and target another position. 

That's in the Jags' court.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

It sounds like Robinson and Watkins will both hit the market. This is Big for a number of reasons,

1. It will keep 1 single guy from dominating the market. SF goes all in on Watkins, the Bears can pivot to Robinson.
2. It kills the Dolphins leverage on Landry, they may rescind the tag, as teams have better options.
3. The Bears could have access to a #1 WR which moves the need down in the draft.

Knocks on Robinson is he is coming off an ACL and a bad season before.  

Disaster if he is hurt again after Bears sign him or follows pattern of most not being that good in year following an ACL.  Like others have pointed out you would like your young QB to experience some success this year and gain confidence.  

Likely won't be available in early spring/summer to work on stuff and gain timing and knowledge.  Remember Mitch has to learn a new O.  His receivers have to learn a new O.  His offensive coordinator has to learn a new O (weird). Offseason time is at a premium.   2 years of no offensive success might break Mitch mentally as fans are starved for it having waited much konger than that   Pressure will be immense.   

Plusses are Robinson is still young (about same age as Ridley amazingly enough) and has had huge seasons already.   Also worth noting that he hurt his ACL early on in 2017. A healthy Robinson playing like he did early is best option by far.  Those are 'ifs' though.   Still at his best Robinson is a proven high level player in NFL, a no. 1 wide receiver.

Watkins on other hand has been decent, but never more than that at his best.   Never lived up to his potential to date.  Buffalo always thought this is year he breaks out and becomes a star and Rams thought same thing.

Tough calls.  

There is a dark side of me that really wants to see the Dolphins left holding the bag on Landry. They need to clear 30 million in cap space in the next week just to be somewhat functional in free agency.

It would be awesome to see them nuke their roster. 

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Don't tease me Windy... what's the latest you've heard on Watkins?

12 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Watkins on other hand has been decent, but never more than that at his best.   Never lived up to his potential to date.  Buffalo always thought this is year he breaks out and becomes a star and Rams thought same thing.

He's a Ferrari that nobody knows how to take out for a spin -- it's a bloody shame. What he did in Clemson jives PERFECTLY with this WCO/Spread hybrid we will be running next season.

5 years/$65 million/$32 million guaranteed. I don't care if it takes more than that -- get it done!

I think Robinson is more likely.

-I think the Rams have the cap to match a Watkins offer
-Amos and Robinson are close friends from Penn St
-Charles London was the recruiting coordinator when Robinson was recruited to Penn St
-Robinson is from Detroit, which is obviously close top Chicago.

Archived