2024 NBA Draft Discussion: Hawks, Wizards, Rockets and Spurs are 1-4.

Texansfan713

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

If you’re picking in the top 5 there’s no way that you’re contending with LeBron. The one year retirement tour with Bron/Bronny would definitely be must see TV. Does passing on a guy that can be an All-Star level guy for a decade for an average prospect help the GM’s job security long term? 

Never said they'd contend, but they'd make a **** ton of money. That's my point. If Bronny is in a cluster of prospects, even towards the bottom of the cluster, it's absolutely worth overdrafting him to get LeBron. Not so you can contend, but so you can make lots and lots of money. Maybe you hit and he turns into Jrue Holiday. I mean, it's the draft. It's all a ******* crap shoot anyways.

I'm not advocating for anyone to draft him top 5 if he's a 2nd round prospect or anything. But if you rate him top 20, even if it's 19 or 20, and you don't have a strong feeling towards someone in the consensus 4-10 range, then overdraft him to get him and LeBron. It's worth it at that point to me.

3 hours ago, beekay414 said:

If you're willing to go top 5, why not #1 or #2? The difference at the top is marginal to say the least.

Typically, even in relatively weak years, a prospect or 2 will or 3 will separate themselves. Not always, but usually. I'm assuming that would happen here as well. If literally no one does, then yeah, go for Bronny.

2 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I also think you are a little too high on Bronny. There is not a single source out there that has Bronny ranked in the top 20 of high school players.  Throw in Soph's - Sr's and foreign players and he isnt in anyone's top 30 rankings for the draft next year.  He has some tools, but those tools compared to his peers (peers you call a weak draft class) they aren't worthy of being in the top 30 draft eligible players.  Can he get there, maybe.  Is it likely, not really.  I am open to seeing if it can happen, but for now, he isn't a top prospect and should have zero consideration for the lottery as a player. 

-ESPN had him as the 20th ranked high schooler, but almost. As @beekay414 stated, they have him going #17.

-Sports Illustrated has him ranked as a top 10 prospect teams are excited about. They also have him going #16 in their mock draft and have him #17 on their big board

-NBADraft Room has him going #28

-Yahoo Sports has him at #24

-247 projects him as a prospect in the 20-30 range for 2024

22 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Never said they'd contend, but they'd make a **** ton of money. That's my point. If Bronny is in a cluster of prospects, even towards the bottom of the cluster, it's absolutely worth overdrafting him to get LeBron. Not so you can contend, but so you can make lots and lots of money. Maybe you hit and he turns into Jrue Holiday. I mean, it's the draft. It's all a ******* crap shoot anyways.

I'm not advocating for anyone to draft him top 5 if he's a 2nd round prospect or anything. But if you rate him top 20, even if it's 19 or 20, and you don't have a strong feeling towards someone in the consensus 4-10 range, then overdraft him to get him and LeBron. It's worth it at that point to me.

So if you rank him 20th it's worth it but at 30-35th it isn't? Doesn't seem like a huge gap to me.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

So is this class supposed to be 2013 bad?

I am guessing this class will be the same where there isn't a benefit to being at the top and likely any of about 6 guys will be in the running for the top pick. We will see a bunch of solid guys emerge in the NBA but sad when looking at the draft. Not sure we see a Giannis type from it but even the bad classes on paper create stars.  

I remember everyone saying the 2020 draft was bad leading into it and nobody knew who would go #1 with Wiseman sitting out, Ball playing overseas and Ant being athletic but meh on the court.  Now we have a top 10 player in Ant, Ball and Haliburton as top 15-20 players, Maxey and Bane as top 30-40 players, and some solid role players. More positives have come from that draft than the 2021 draft which everyone seemed higher on with that class having maybe one top 30 player in Barnes and a couple top 50-60 players in Mobley, Cade, and Wagner.  Of course one more year and Cam Thomas, Jalen Green, Trey Murphy, Herb Jones and others could make a leap but not as much as guys in the 2020 class.  Similarly that 13 class looked rough but gave us Giannis, Gobert, and McCollum along with some solid role players that are still in the league which is pretty solid for a bad draft. 

23 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I am guessing this class will be the same where there isn't a benefit to being at the top and likely any of about 6 guys will be in the running for the top pick. We will see a bunch of solid guys emerge in the NBA but sad when looking at the draft. Not sure we see a Giannis type from it but even the bad classes on paper create stars.  

I remember everyone saying the 2020 draft was bad leading into it and nobody knew who would go #1 with Wiseman sitting out, Ball playing overseas and Ant being athletic but meh on the court.  Now we have a top 10 player in Ant, Ball and Haliburton as top 15-20 players, Maxey and Bane as top 30-40 players, and some solid role players. More positives have come from that draft than the 2021 draft which everyone seemed higher on with that class having maybe one top 30 player in Barnes and a couple top 50-60 players in Mobley, Cade, and Wagner.  Of course one more year and Cam Thomas, Jalen Green, Trey Murphy, Herb Jones and others could make a leap but not as much as guys in the 2020 class.  Similarly that 13 class looked rough but gave us Giannis, Gobert, and McCollum along with some solid role players that are still in the league which is pretty solid for a bad draft. 

I barely remember how Giannis was viewed at the time. Maybe similar to big unknowns like Poku, Maker, or even Sekou? Far from an obvious superstar lol.

40 minutes ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

I barely remember how Giannis was viewed at the time. Maybe similar to big unknowns like Poku, Maker, or even Sekou? Far from an obvious superstar lol.

He definitely wasn't expected to be one of the best players in the game.  Poku, Sekou, Coullibaly etc I think are good comps from what I remember.  Like Luca was a star and known before coming, like Rubio (even though that didnt work out, lol MN) where Giannis was a tiny teen who had tools but needed to develop them.  Even Hendrickson was sort of that kind of prospect this year.