Texans RT Tytus Howard signs 3/$56mm extension ($36mm gtd)

ET80

6 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I guess he improved to warrant a contract like this? I remember his early career was said to be... less than stellar, to say the least.

I think the majority of that had to do with Bill O'Brien and his obsession with "versatility" along the OL - Howard was at his best at RT, but there was a strange obsession with playing him at LG or RG for stretches at a time. Howard was a bit of a mess at LG and RG, but when he was able to play exclusively at RT, he was really good (think he posted a 70+ score on PFF the last two seasons - which were the first two seasons where he played majority of snaps at at RT). 

Given the last two times the Texans drafted a QB they both were sacked 70+ times as a rookie, continuity across the OL is huge for CJ Stroud - Laremy Tunsil is about as consistent as you'd want out of the position, and Howard as a genuine RT provides the bookends you need to avoid a 70+ sack season.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Texans potentially going into week 1 @ Baltimore with a backup C and RT is tough. Is the expected starter going into week 1 Stroud or Mills?

I think it’s Stroud - he’s been getting most of the snaps with the 1s, but I’m second guessing that decision as of now.

Calling Juice Scruggs a backup C is a bit of a misnomer; He was drafted with the specific plan of taking the starting C job from Scott Quessenberry (who himself was a backup thrusted into the starting lineup following the sudden retirement of Justin Britt). I feel bad for Scott, but all this means is that Scruggs takes the job he was destined to win.

Even if he’s back, you have to figure he’s going to be rusty. Would still prefer Mills or Keenum out there to take the beatings while CJ is slowly brought in.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ET80 said:

I think it’s Stroud - he’s been getting most of the snaps with the 1s, but I’m second guessing that decision as of now.

Calling Juice Scruggs a backup C is a bit of a misnomer; He was drafted with the specific plan of taking the starting C job from Scott Quessenberry (who himself was a backup thrusted into the starting lineup following the sudden retirement of Justin Britt). I feel bad for Scott, but all this means is that Scruggs takes the job he was destined to win.

Even if he’s back, you have to figure he’s going to be rusty. Would still prefer Mills or Keenum out there to take the beatings while CJ is slowly brought in.

Keenum is a good #2. I'd get whatever value you can for Davis Mills.

13 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Keenum is a good #2. I'd get whatever value you can for Davis Mills.

I doubt Mills has any “trade” value - and even then, cheap QBs are a commodity in themselves, might as well keep ‘em in-house on a rookie deal vs finding a vet at $8-10mm per season. Whatever you’d get in return for Mills wouldn’t equate the value of a QB on a rookie mid-round deal, y’know? 

I’n definitely not a Davis Mills fan, but I see where he DOES have some worth.

12 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:
14 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

I mean, what's the worst that can happen? 🤷😬

They win and screw up their draft position🙀🙈🙉

That’s Arizona’s problem now.

• Like 1