Who is the most overrated player in the NFL?

AkronsWitness

2 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I agree. I saw someone post on a thread "if the Chargers offered Herbert straight up for 1.1 would you make that trade?"

In a crackhead heartbeat. **** yes I would. If Lawrence or Luck was in the draft I'd still take that trade and not hesitate.

Herbert with Moore, Kmet, and whoever I'd draft at 1.9? Moore has been an absolute stud with trash QBs already, his stats with a stud like Herbert?

I don't know if I'd take Herbert over draft pick Luck. Colts were willing to cut Peyton Manning for him after all.

1 hour ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

I don't know if I'd take Herbert over draft pick Luck. Colts were willing to cut Peyton Manning for him after all.

Peyton also had a major injury and was at the end of his career they thought. Three significant neck surgeries in less than two years and the window already being closed for them to contend made it a pretty simple move imo. They needed a rebuild and having his massive contract wasn't going to help that. We aren't talking about Luck being picked over healthy Manning with 10 years left in the tank.

Also I do want to stress I mean proven stud QB Herbert over prospect Luck. As prospects Luck was way ahead of Herbert for me. I actually missed on Herbert pretty bad.

How can Herbert be at the same time overrated, and constantly attacked for all the Chargers' failings (and his owns)?

Just the fact that an overrated conversation, someone brings him up, proves he's not overrated. Unless you think he's trash, but then that's an whole other conversation.

Haven't read this thread, and my take will probably get some major heat, but that's why I'm here...

Patrick Mahomes is the most overrated player in the NFL right now - why? Is he the best QB in the NFL? absolutely - is he Brady level GOAT? Not yet, but too many people are saying he's there or he's about to pass Brady.  

Patrick has won 3 Rings in 5 years - Brady won 3 Rings in 4 years.... then he went and won 3 in 5 years... then went and won 1 more with a completely different team.

Patrick has led the league in Passing Yards 1x, TD's 2x, and lowest INT% 1x - Brady led the league in Passing Yards 4x, TD's 5x, lowest INT% 4x and PSR 2x

Patrick has 1 league MVP, Brady had 3

So again - Patrick is building a HOF career, he may go down as the GOAT or second-GOAT, but when people are already putting him there after 6 years, I think that makes you overrated.  I don't recall Adrian Peterson getting this treatment during his prime.  Maybe Randy Moss during his peak started to get mentioned in Rice's category.  Other than that, Brady wasn't even given GOAT status over Joe Cool till he won his 5th? ring IIRC and for most of his career he was always 1a/1b with Peyton for Current Best QB until he started to pull away towards the end of their careers.

35 minutes ago, MaddHatter said:

Haven't read this thread, and my take will probably get some major heat, but that's why I'm here...

Patrick Mahomes is the most overrated player in the NFL right now - why? Is he the best QB in the NFL? absolutely - is he Brady level GOAT? Not yet, but too many people are saying he's there or he's about to pass Brady.  

Patrick has won 3 Rings in 5 years - Brady won 3 Rings in 4 years.... then he went and won 3 in 5 years... then went and won 1 more with a completely different team.

Patrick has led the league in Passing Yards 1x, TD's 2x, and lowest INT% 1x - Brady led the league in Passing Yards 4x, TD's 5x, lowest INT% 4x and PSR 2x

Patrick has 1 league MVP, Brady had 3

So again - Patrick is building a HOF career, he may go down as the GOAT or second-GOAT, but when people are already putting him there after 6 years, I think that makes you overrated.  I don't recall Adrian Peterson getting this treatment during his prime.  Maybe Randy Moss during his peak started to get mentioned in Rice's category.  Other than that, Brady wasn't even given GOAT status over Joe Cool till he won his 5th? ring IIRC and for most of his career he was always 1a/1b with Peyton for Current Best QB until he started to pull away towards the end of their careers.

Brady rode the defense to his first 2(?) rings. Mahomes has rode his defense for this one and basically Tim Tebow'd his way to a ring this year.

However, we regard Brady as the GOAT mostly for longevity and how successful they were during those like 15 years. Mahomes is already close to matching that success in not even half the amount of time.

Edited by AFlaccoSeagulls

4 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Brady rode the defense to his first 2(?) rings. Mahomes has rode his defense for this one and basically Tim Tebow'd his way to a ring this year.

However, we regard Brady as the GOAT mostly for longevity and how successful they were during those like 15 years. Mahomes is already close to matching that success in not even half the amount of time.

What do you mean when you say he has " already come close to matching that success"?   And sure you can claim Brady "rode his D" for the first 2 but the dude went to 10 Super Bowls and won 7... Mahomes has been to 4 and won 3 - he's not even halfway there... Nobody was calling Brady the "GOAT" when he won 3 in 4 years to start his career, so why would we call Mahomes the GOAT when he's won 3 in 6 years?

Edited by MaddHatter

Just now, MaddHatter said:

What do you mean when you say he has " already come close to matching that success"?   And sure you can claim Brady "rode his D" for the first 2 but the dude went to 10 Super Bowls and won 7... Mahomes has been to 4 and won 3 - he's not even halfway there...

I guess what I mean to say is that what Mahomes has done in his first 3 Superbowls is already better than what Brady did in his first 3, or maybe even 5 Superbowls. 

The only thing left to review about Mahomes is the longevity vs. success aspect. 

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I guess what I mean to say is that what Mahomes has done in his first 3 Superbowls is already better than what Brady did in his first 3, or maybe even 5 Superbowls. 

The only thing left to review about Mahomes is the longevity vs. success aspect. 

So if Mahomes plays another 10 years but never wins another ring, has some good production, maybe even wins another MVP, you're still calling him GOAT?

1 minute ago, MaddHatter said:

So if Mahomes plays another 10 years but never wins another ring, has some good production, maybe even wins another MVP, you're still calling him GOAT?

Brady didn't win another ring until 10 years after his 3rd.

It depends on his production during that time frame because until Brady won that 4th ring I don't think anyone had him over Montana, so it really just remains to be seen.

Mahomes' success so far is the most success we've ever seen in this time frame from a team + individual perspective and it's not even close, though.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Brady didn't win another ring until 10 years after his 3rd.

It depends on his production during that time frame because until Brady won that 4th ring I don't think anyone had him over Montana, so it really just remains to be seen.

Mahomes' success so far is the most success we've ever seen in this time frame from a team + individual perspective and it's not even close, though.

Brady won his 4th in his 14th year starting, so if Mahomes is in his 16th year starting and still has 3, is he still the GOAT?

Mahomes success so far is not the most success we've ever seen in this time frame... especially with the addition of "it's not even close" which again reinforces why he's the most overrated player in the NFL right now.