Who is the most overrated player in the NFL?

AkronsWitness

12 minutes ago, Soggust said:

I don't think that's really that inconsistent though for an RB, right? 

You can go through almost every RB season and find a sample of a few games that were underwhelming, I think. 

Barry had a YPC of 2.1 and 53 rushing yards total in his first two games of the 1997 season. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DawgX said:

I don't know if he's the most overrated, but definitely overrated. Chubb has been better than Henry for years, yet many believe the opposite. It's only now that most would agree Chubb is better, but he has been for a few years.

I remember saying Chubb was better than Henry 2 years ago and i was getting clowned on in these very forums for having that take. Bout time people finally realize how good of a RB chubb is.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Can you show me your source? This still had a few weeks left last year but had Henry at 1 and Chubb at 2, with Chubb having a stacked box over 35% and Henry at 38%.

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/platform/amp/2022/12/5/23494211/nick-chubb-8-man-boxes-deshaun-watson-qb

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/rushing#percent-eight-defenders

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

For instance just last year in a 2 week stretch against CIN/PHI he combined for 68 rushing yards in 2 games. 2 weeks before that against DEN he rushed for 52 yards on 19 attempts.

Last year in a 2-week stretch against Miami and Buffalo, Nick Chubb had a combined 82 yards at 3.2 YPC.

3 weeks after that, he ran for 34 yards at 2.4 YPC.

It seems Nick Chubb is also inconsistent and easily shut-down.  

Derrick Henry has averaged 109 YPG over the last 4 years.  How are we trying to argue he's inconsistent?  

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 4

Just now, MWil23 said:

Sort by attempts. Those 2 are far and away the top 2 in the league. Crazy.

They are, but Henry is still nearly 10% higher than Chubb.

I'm not trying to take away from Chubb by the way.  I think he has a legit argument for #1 and as of right now I would take him over Henry.  But there's a few posts in here that are really discrediting what Henry has accomplished or the talent that he possesses. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Last year in a 2-week stretch against Miami and Buffalo, Nick Chubb had a combined 82 yards at 3.2 YPC.

3 weeks after that, he ran for 34 yards at 2.4 YPC.

Clearly Nick Chubb is inconsistent and can easily be shut-down.  

What a wild take.  Derrick Henry has averaged 109 YPG over the last 4 years.  How are we trying to argue he's inconsistent?  

Because he got injured I guess?

I would still clown someone for saying Chubb was better than Henry two years ago.  Right now, sure, that's a valid take.  But right after Henry spent two years as the entire Titans offense and also rushed for 2000 yards, lolno.

5 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

They are, but Henry is still nearly 10% higher than Chubb.

I'm not trying to take away from Chubb by the way.  I think he has a legit argument for #1 and as of right now I would take him over Henry.  But there's a few posts in here that are really discrediting what Henry has accomplished or the talent that he possesses. 

Regardless, both are victims of poor quarterback play and extensive periods of poor OL play (Chubb 2019 was bottom of the barrel and 2020 with Covid issues).

And to be fair as well, Henry gets to play in the AFC South as opposed to the infinitely better North.

Baltimore and Pitt and even Cincinnati vs Indy, Houston, and Jax is a x6 multiplier.

16 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Baltimore and Pitt and even Cincinnati vs Indy, Houston, and Jax is a x6 multiplier.

Well luckily, both Chubb and Henry faced the Ravens in 2019 twice, so let's compare:

Henry 1: 28 carries, 133 rush, 1 TD

Chub 1 (home game): 20 carries, 165 yards, 3 TDs, 3 receptions, 18 yards

Henry 2: 30 carries, 195 yards, 1 pass (1 TD), 2 receptions, 7 yards

Chub 2: 15 carries, 45 yards

Overall, Henry did better against the same opponent, and he did it all on the road.

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

Thats not true. When defenses want to shut him down, he can be shut down and he has a good amount of stinkers on the scorecard when teams have loaded the box to stop him. For instance just last year in a 2 week stretch against CIN/PHI he combined for 68 rushing yards in 2 games. 2 weeks before that against DEN he rushed for 52 yards on 19 attempts.

Even in his 2k yard campaign during 2020--CLE held him to 60, BUF to 57 and CHI to 68 yards. All the way back in 2019 he was held below 85 yards 8 times and even had a 44 yard performance in there. This is all with him being the lead back not splitting carries or RZ touches with anybody.

He actually seems to be very inconsistent. Either putting up 130+ yards or 55. Hes just really good at having a lot of those BOOM games that make up for the stinkers in the stats column.

Adrian Peterson only had one 100 yard game in his first 6 in his 2K yard season. CJ2K only had 1 100 yard game in his first 5 in his 2K yard season and had two games in that span under 60 yards. Terrell Davis had 5 games under 100 yards with one performance against Miami where he carried the ball 16 times for 29 yards in his 2K yard season. I can continue going on but you get the gist. 

There is almost no measure to which you can say Henry is overrated. Nothing. He's dominant and has been so for years. Its just a weird player to say is overrated in an age where RB is dying and he's still propped up his teams offense. And I don't particularly care about receiving from the RB. If they add that to their game that's great but that's also scheme-specific. 

11 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Well luckily, both Chubb and Henry faced the Ravens in 2019 twice, so let's compare:

Henry 1: 28 carries, 133 rush, 1 TD

Chub 1 (home game): 20 carries, 165 yards, 3 TDs, 3 receptions, 18 yards

Henry 2: 30 carries, 195 yards, 1 pass (1 TD), 2 receptions, 7 yards

Chub 2: 15 carries, 45 yards

Overall, Henry did better against the same opponent, and he did it all on the road.

Look at the discrepancy in quarterback play and OL. Cleveland was much worse and that was what I mentioned several posts above that. But hey if you want to cherry pick a single game in a single year against one opponent and omit 4 other games and ignore supporting cast context, that’s your prerogative.

Just now, MWil23 said:

Look at the discrepancy in quarterback play and OL. Cleveland was much worse and that was what I mentioned several posts above that. But hey if you want to cherry pick a single game in a single year against one opponent and omit 4 other games and ignore supporting cast context, that’s your prerogative.

I'm actually just debunking your cherry picked argument about AFCS vs. AFCN.  I made no overarching statements from those stats at all.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I'm actually just debunking your cherry picked argument about AFCS vs. AFCN.  I made no overarching statements from those stats at all.

The fact that you can argue AFC South vs AFC North since 2018 is absolutely meme worthy. I love you man but come on…

6/16 (or 17) games is absolutely noteworthy comparing bulk stats and analytics, unless you think Henry vs Houston is actually even close to legitimate.

Just now, MWil23 said:

The fact that you can argue AFC South vs AFC North since 2018 is absolutely meme worthy. I love you man but come on…

6/16 (or 17) games is absolutely noteworthy comparing bulk stats and analytics, unless you think Henry vs Houston is actually even close to legitimate.

https://sports.yahoo.com/derrick-henry-rolls-to-fourth-consecutive-200-yard-rushing-game-vs-texans-231525980.html?guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAN0ethS0EoeACcaVo3f63lWDvaTb31D9O-XXil2fxWHYBk_heEqHW7xTcYfFjk-ljduX0ZBwLp9taeNKb50VIK0zz2TohfFDuI2Es2x-FPIoB3AHnNQKMuCXoF0tkQuno55AgW-ICGQUJzXefMpw1F9Yc1-9SogslpelJoomU4iN

Yeah, no correlation here…