Who is the most overrated player in the NFL?

AkronsWitness

12 minutes ago, StatKing said:

Football is the ultimate team sport. Almost all of those accolades you listed are from one guy, Patrick Mahomes. Take him off the list and it's pick your poison in my opinion.

I don't think the gap is significant enough between Burrow and Herbert to justify one being considered overrated and the other a consensus top 3 QB. Would Cincinnati make that Super Bowl if their defense didn't force a million turnovers during that run? I doubt it. It's not Herbert's fault ownership won't fire their clown of a head coach.

No? Without Mahomes, you still have 1 MVP, 2 superbowl appearances, a bunch of playoff wins (12) and appearances (11), conference championship appearances (4) and wins (2), division titles (I think 7, roughly), etc. Mahomes does bump the numbers up, but Herbert has zero of all of the above except for the one playoff appearance (and that doesn't exactly help his resume, the way that game went), so Hurts, Jackson, Burrow, and Allen all do have plenty of accolades and hardware over him. And nothing on that list was Mahomes exclusive.

And yes, football is a team sport, but it's become very clear especially in the current version of the league, that QB holds more weight on team success than any other player on the field. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

He was at one point, but he has fallen off each of the past 2ish years. Problem is people still think he is the same player but I think his decline started after that Rams superbowl a few years back.

Few years back? That was one year ago lol.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

And yes, football is a team sport, but it's become very clear especially in the current version of the league, that QB holds more weight on team success than any other player on the field. 

Meanwhile the niners are 2 seasons away from putting Uncle Rico under center with a rookie contract

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Forge said:

Meanwhile the niners are 2 seasons away from putting Uncle Rico under center with a rookie contract

And they'd probably still knock the Cowboys and Packers out of the postseason with him. But, my point generally still holds up.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nex_Gen said:

Agreed with this take.

I'll add Kyle Pitts.

Dude was the most over hyped prospect I could remember.

Yeah...the problem with Pitts is he is going to live off draft hype and his potential for a long time. Its not going to go away. Even if he played a full season last year, he was pacing for 750 yards and 3 TDs. Not to say that's horrible, but you think with the way people talk about him he should be averaging 1,200 and 10 TDs.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Soggust said:

Trevor Lawrence, imo.

Not that he isn't good, just think he's still rated mostly on projection as opposed to his actual production.

He was really good the second half of the season. Turned a bunch of journeymen and slot receivers into a legit WR corp, got one of the worst teams in NFL history into the playoffs, won a playoff game. 

I always think once-elite players who go to a new team once their old one has used them up tend to get overrated. Mostly by casuals though (so, not us nerds).

players like Julio Jones when he joined Tampa, or Peterson at his latter clubs. Possibly D-Hop now would be one, we’ll see. They are seen as saviours (if you read social media) but these fans are not using logic. 

as for players overrated now, not sure. Always thought Ramsey got too much love. 

Herbert has a lot of detractors now that I actually think he’s swinging back round close to underrated territory.

I don’t think he’s top 5 or anything, but people seem to bring up team deficiencies to negate him. He has the third most offensive production over the past 3 seasons (for QBs) and his defense is among the most leaky (for points). 

Edited by Hunter2_1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Nex_Gen said:

I'll add Kyle Pitts.

Nah. Pitts will be a great player. TEs are notoriously slow transitioning to the pros.

Also, he wasn’t even bad last year. His QB and offensive situation is not a recipe for great production. That’s not on Pitts.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

He was really good the second half of the season. Turned a bunch of journeymen and slot receivers into a legit WR corp, got one of the worst teams in NFL history into the playoffs, won a playoff game. 

I actually agree.

In fact, I think his second half was SO good, that it will be hard to replicate. Now granted, his first half arguably will improve, but IJS it wouldn't shock me if he took a slight step back next year in a "sophomore" slump (if we are ignoring his rookie year).

7 hours ago, Nex_Gen said:

Agreed with this take.

I'll add Kyle Pitts.

Dude put up 1000 yards as a rookie with a competent QB throwing him the ball. He and Ridder seem to actually have chemistry in training camp this year too. Mariota never developed any chemistry with Pitts in 2022. He'll bounce back this year.