Who is the most overrated player in the NFL?

AkronsWitness

13 minutes ago, drew39k said:

I mean, your user name is HerbertGOAT.

I think that there are plenty of folks that look at his bulk stats and act like he's done it all.

Remember when the general consensus was that Herbert is better than Burrow? Good times.  He's a good player, but that was always a silly narrative and only existed bc the average NFL fan doesn't know much beyond fantasy football. 

52 minutes ago, CasperX22 said:

Parsons is definitely an elite player.  Is he the best player in the NFL like some Cowboys fans would like you to believe? No, but he's among the best defensive players in the league.

I have no problem putting him in that tier with guys like Bosa, Garrett, Crosby and whomever. But i find it weird when he's crowned as the best in the league at the position, tbh. 

• Like 1

What is going on in this thread? People are acting like Herbert is a 10 year vet. This is his 4th year in the league and the guy is only 25 years old. Is he supposed to have all the accolades when his career has only just started? He's a consensus top 10 QB already, give the guy some time.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, StatKing said:

What is going on in this thread? People are acting like Herbert is a 10 year vet. This is his 4th year in the league and the guy is only 25 years old. Is he supposed to have all the accolades when his career has only just started? He's a consensus top 10 QB already, give the guy some time.

I think the problem is that the competition in this generation of QBs is Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, Jackson, Hurts, etc. At 25 and younger, from that group, you're talking about 2 MVP winners, a superbowl winner, 3 superbowl appearances, a bunch of playoff wins and appearances, conference championship appearances and wins, division titles, etc. Even Trevor Lawrence now has him beat on playoff success. It is fine that Herbert doesn't have that stuff yet, he's still obviously a very talented, good QB, but in terms of rankings and where he rates among his peers, not having those things when several other guys do is going to hurt him.

And I imagine anyone saying he's overrated is saying so in response to seeing him listed up there with guys like Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, etc. Part of the problem with these threads is the disagreement often isn't actually about where we think he should be rated, but where we think other people do rate him. I don't think anyone would say saying that Herbert is a top 10 QB would be overrating him. If he's listed top 5, up there with the big 3 in the AFC, then he probably is being overrated. And that's probably more of the disconnect here.

• Like 7

On 8/5/2023 at 8:02 AM, NYRaider said:

Through their first 4 seasons...

DK: 306 receptions, 4,218 yards (13.8 ypc), 35 TD

Deebo: 223 receptions, 3,230 yards (14.5 ypc), 12 TD

+ 782 rushing yards and 14 rushing tds for Deebo 

DK still has him beat but Deebo has played in 15 less games. DK has also had better and more consistent QB play. 

5 hours ago, Forge said:

Parsons is actually a guy I think has gotten a little too much love. He's really, really, really good... But I don't think he's best in the NFL level, and I feel like that is where a lot of NFL and media people see him 

ahhh the Sauce Gardner of EDGE players, yea?

1 hour ago, nagahide13 said:

Justin Herbert is about to have an incredible season. I have a hard time calling him underrated based on who is ahead of him, but he's going to gain some respect.

I think it's going to take the Chargers to actually accomplish something of relevance as a team in order for Herbert to get the respect people want him to get. 

We are going into the 13th consecutive season where the Chargers are the flashy trendy pick to do well. Those projections better start turning into wins in the playoffs and conference championships or else Herbert is just Phillip Rivers reincarnated.

• Like 2

On 8/4/2023 at 8:27 PM, SmittyBacall said:

I’d tend to agree. He’s hyped as one of the NFLs best players, period. But I don’t ever remember being wowed watching him play. Maybe I just haven’t seen enough.

Not sure how you can call a player flashy when the stats back him. Only thing you can complain about with him is his health. He misses games and is still the leader in many categories at his position. When healthy, he is HIM.

6 hours ago, StatKing said:

The problem is that people try to put him in the same class with guys like Burrow and even early in his career was propped up to be better than Burrow when he has more in common with Dak Prescott and Kirk Cousins than an elite QB like Burrow.

11 hours ago, drew39k said:

I mean, your user name is HerbertGOAT.

I think that there are plenty of folks that look at his bulk stats and act like he's done it all.

It's just a username?

Herbert isn't a god but two things are fact: He has statistically had one of the best starts to a career for any QB, and his defense has been the absolute worst out of any QBs up to this point in their career. There's only so much you can do to win, when the half of your team you have no control over is completely incompetent.

3 hours ago, CasperX22 said:

The problem is that people try to put him in the same class with guys like Burrow and even early in his career was propped up to be better than Burrow when he has more in common with Dak Prescott and Kirk Cousins than an elite QB like Burrow.

What makes Burrow more elite than Herbert? A Super Bowl loss? a 16 yard GWD in the playoffs? Having the most dynamic WR corps in the league? Burrow is obviously elite. He's QB2 in the league. But to pretend like Herbert is in the 8-12 range rather than top 5 because he was straddled with some of the worst coaching and defense in the league is absurd.

5 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

I think it's going to take the Chargers to actually accomplish something of relevance as a team in order for Herbert to get the respect people want him to get. 

We are going into the 13th consecutive season where the Chargers are the flashy trendy pick to do well. Those projections better start turning into wins in the playoffs and conference championships or else Herbert is just Phillip Rivers reincarnated.

What's it going to take for people to realize that through multiple HOF caliber QBs spanning 40 years unable to win with the Chargers, that maybe, just maybe, the issue lies with ownership and the front office rather than the QBs? Drew Brees was one of the worst QBs in the league when he was with the Chargers, left for actually good coaching and a favorable playing environment and became possibly a top 3 QB ever.

20 minutes ago, HerbertGOAT said:

What's it going to take for people to realize that through multiple HOF caliber QBs spanning 40 years unable to win with the Chargers, that maybe, just maybe, the issue lies with ownership and the front office rather than the QBs? Drew Brees was one of the worst QBs in the league when he was with the Chargers, left for actually good coaching and a favorable playing environment and became possibly a top 3 QB ever.

Not saying its Herbert's fault, its just the situation he was put into. He has however many years of QBs behind him who failed to win in the playoffs consistently and not win the conference despite pretty darn good Chargers teams. Its not their fault, its the orgs fault that puts perception into peoples minds. Unfortunately Rivers being a career underachiever in the playoffs is going to force Herbert to get hit with some shrapnel until he gets the team to a place they never were with Rivers