Who is the most overrated player in the NFL?

AkronsWitness

On 8/5/2023 at 4:38 PM, Thomas5737 said:

Without looking at other names I'd have him 12-14th overall. If it was based solely on passing it would be much lower but what he brings with his legs elevates him, even over the past few years where he has struggled.

In the media he is still highly overrated where they list him as a top 3-5 QB. Been a long time since he legitimately should be in that conversation.

Let's not get crazy.  There are not 12 QB's better than Lamar in this league.  When he was being hyped as a top 2-3 QB a few years ago he was definitely overrated.  If you rank him in the 5-10 range? That's perfectly fine.  Personally I'd put him at 6.

1. Mahomes (tier all to himself)

2. Burrow (tier all to himself)

Next tier

3. Allen

4. Rodgers (not sure he can carry a team all by himself at this point in his career with last season being exhibit A)

5. Hurts

6. Jackson

Next tier

7. Lawrence

8. Herbert (consistently overrated)

Next tier

9. Prescott

10. Stafford

Next tier bunch of middling  starting caliber guys

11. Cousins

12. Goff

13. Tua

14. Geno

15. Watson

16. Murray

17. Wilson

18. Carr

19. Tannehill

Next tier fringe starters/elite backups

20. Fields

21. Mac Jones

22. Daniel Jones

23. Garrapolo

Next tier rookies/placeholders

24. Young (easily could jump up quickly)

25. Pickett

26. Purdy

27. Howell

28. Love

29. Stroud

30. Ridder

31. Baker

32. Minshew

14 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

How is the rate in which you effectively rush the passer meaningless? When a stat like sacks, wouldn't be? Sacks are incredibly overrated as a stat. I think pressures are the most important stat to look at, but to say pass rush win rate is meaningless is pretty dumb.

You know which stat he does lead the NFL in every year? Double teams/double team win rate--- and he still got 16 sacks the past 2 years.

"Garrett also has faced the highest double-team rate (31.3%) of any edge rusher in the league this season. Despite that, he's second among edge rushers in pass rush win rate (27.8%)"

Myles Garrett is the single most 'gameplanned for' defensive end/Edge in the NFL each season and he is STILL near the top or leading the league in pass rush win rate while averaging 14 sacks a season for the past 5 years. That right there is what makes him special; teams can do everything they want to slow him down or stop him by throwing double teams at him all game but he is always going to win regardless and get his.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

You know which stat he does lead the NFL in every year? Double teams/double team win rate--- and he still got 16 sacks the past 2 years.

"Garrett also has faced the highest double-team rate (31.3%) of any edge rusher in the league this season. Despite that, he's second among edge rushers in pass rush win rate (27.8%)"

Myles Garrett is the single most 'gameplanned for' defensive end/Edge in the NFL each season and he is STILL near the top or leading the league in pass rush win rate while averaging 14 sacks a season for the past 5 years. That right there is what makes him special; teams can do everything they want to slow him down or stop him by throwing double teams at him all game but he is always going to win regardless and get his.

“Nah he sucks.”

• Like 1

On 8/5/2023 at 1:27 PM, BlaqOptic said:

Myles Garrett - He is routinely touted as a DPoTY frontrunner to start each season but has never even received a vote. He's constantly touted as the league's best pass rusher despite never leading the league in any single stat related to edges  - pressures, hits, sacks, stuffs - other than pass rush win rate which is the most meaningless of them all. I also haven't seen him make others around him better like the other 3 guys on Tier 1: Bosa, Watt, and Parsons.

Myles has had 16 sacks each of the past 2 seasons and Parsons has never reached 14, and yet you have him above Garrett. Anyone else see the irony here?

21 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

He’s averaged more sacks per year despite being double teamed more and having fewer pass attempts against than a “Tier 1 guy” Micah Parsons has had in a single year. The overcorrection here is something else.

5 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Myles has had 16 sacks each of the past 2 seasons and Parsons has never reached 14, and yet you have him above Garrett. Anyone else see the irony here?

Parsons is actually a guy I think has gotten a little too much love. He's really, really, really good... But I don't think he's best in the NFL level, and I feel like that is where a lot of NFL and media people see him 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Parsons is actually a guy I think has gotten a little too much love. He's really, really, really good... But I don't think he's best in the NFL level, and I feel like that is where a lot of NFL and media people see him 

Parsons and Trevon Diggs, for that matter. Both are really good. Parsons is on the edge of elite status - but neither ARE elite.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I think he’s absolutely a great young player with a lot of versatility, but if he’s not a Cowboy, I think he gets “great” status instead of elite. That’s just me.

• Like 1

General consensus of both media and fans: "Herbert is a loser who can't put the team on his back and win games. His physical talent overshadows his inabilityto truly be a top QB because he's not a winner"

Also general consensus of both media and fans: "OMG EVRYBODY overrates Herbert"

19 minutes ago, CasperX22 said:

Parsons is definitely an elite player.  Is he the best player in the NFL like some Cowboys fans would like you to believe? No, but he's among the best defensive players in the league.

I agree with this. I can easily see him taking over AD99 because of his age as one of the best defensive players in the NFL in the next 2-3 years behind only Nick Bosa.

Edited by Sad People

14 minutes ago, HerbertGOAT said:

General consensus of both media and fans: "Herbert is a loser who can't put the team on his back and win games. His physical talent overshadows his inabilityto truly be a top QB because he's not a winner"

Also general consensus of both media and fans: "OMG EVRYBODY overrates Herbert"

I mean, your user name is HerbertGOAT.

I think that there are plenty of folks that look at his bulk stats and act like he's done it all.

• Like 4