CJ95 Contract Situation

Chiefs_5627

What's your thoughts about the current hold out? I would love for him to stroll into camp yesterday but I'm not sure when he's rolling in. Fines are up over a mill now and can't be waved per the last CBA. I personally think he would've faired better with a "hold-in", at least then he'd still be on the same page as the guys when he does take the field.

Just not sure how to feel about it. If he wants 30+ we may as well kiss Creed, Willie and Sneed goodbye. CJ is 29 so that's gotta factor in on a longer contract. I'm all for dudes getting their cash but the salary cap is still part of the game. I'm no cap guru but what can the team realistically pay the man and not destroy the future?

Since Reek got traded I wouldn't be absolutely shocked if just about anyone else got traded as well. Maybe that's an option for CJ but I digress. 

Maybe he plays out his last year and we either recoup the compensatory pick or we tag and trade then? 

These are the times I don't envy Veach's job

Edited by Chiefs_5627

Yeah super tough.  I don’t see many scenarios he’s not in KC long term,    But a 30 Mil per year deal for 4/5 years… for an almost 30 year old player.   Just the percentages say that deal is going to backfire big time(if it’s not a QB).

I hope he stays in KC and love watching him play.   I think we pay him,  but idk that the deal he’s wanting is smart from a team building perspective.    If it doesn’t,   That starts looking like you can lock up all Creed, T. Smith, Bolton, and Sneed long term.   

• Like 1

Good news is that our dead cap is near 0 next year; at least it is before this year's cuts. The salary cap is estimated to be around 240.5mil next year by Spotrac. We've got 45 players under contract for a total of nearly 204mil leaving us with ~36mil in cap space before making any moves.

2024+ needs at a glance: backup QB, RB depth, WR depth, TE 3, OL depth, starting DT, DE depth, LB, DB depth, P, and LS.

We could cut 32 year old Thuney and save 9mil, cut 30 year old MVS and save 12mil, and/or cut 27 year old Justin Reid and save 10.75mil -- all would total an additional ~31.75mil.

Personally, I wouldn't mind a small Thuney extension to lower his cap hit(s), a cut/paycut for MVS, and a small Reid extension. Those moves along with the ~36mil would give plenty of room to extend Jones, even semi-front heavy, while still adding new talent and extending some guys.

• Like 1

Until we have an actual counts-in-the-standings game, I'm not worried. CJ can pay the fines out of whatever bonus he negotiates. In the meantime, he gets out of camp.

That said, he does seem willing to play out his contract. While he is at the height of what might be a Hall of Fame career, this season is worth a lot. For the rest of his career, not so much.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

. While he is at the height of what might be a Hall of Fame career, this season is worth a lot. For the rest of his career, not so much.

That's where I feel weird about it, he might be one of those players that's awesome til he's 38 but he could also start his decline within the next couple years and he'd be on the hook for 30+ mil per and we'd have to kiss a lot of young guys goodbye.

Guess we'll see what happens.

On 8/11/2023 at 1:33 PM, Chiefs_5627 said:

I Know he's pals with Lev Bell but.... nahhh

It’s all about the media hoping there’s drama.  People tune in, they make money.  I don’t like Chris’ cryptic stuff but whatever.  Key to me is this, he’s under contract, he hasn’t demanded a trade he’s said he’s going to play this year because he’s under contract.  I don’t feel like anything is at an impasse.  There’s been no bad blood or hurt feelings this far.  Which to me means we’re likely close.  But if Rapp sheet doesn’t have info on how close or far that means neither side is leaking it out.  My guess is we’re balancing guarantees/bonuses maybe a buyout year to spread the bonus.  One other thing I’ve thought about that could be causing an issue is THIS years number.  Are we dropping it more than he wants?  Remember he already took the team friendly contact once with a back loaded during COVID.

CJ isn't the Defense. He's good. He's very good. But I look for CJ to make the Chiefs competitive if he's willing to stay. I don't want any attempt to "break the bank", whether it's a short term or long term contract. The defense has some up and coming players. Another draft next year too. Trades and free agency to come. All this is to say, be careful Chris Jones. Everyone is expendable (except the QB on most teams).

7 hours ago, mayanfootball said:

CJ isn't the Defense. He's good. He's very good. But I look for CJ to make the Chiefs competitive if he's willing to stay. I don't want any attempt to "break the bank", whether it's a short term or long term contract. The defense has some up and coming players. Another draft next year too. Trades and free agency to come. All this is to say, be careful Chris Jones. Everyone is expendable (except the QB on most teams).

I would argue that CJ is as important to our defense as Mahomes is to our offense.  Against the starters, without Jones we got zero pressure.  In the first 6 weeks we won’t have Omenihu.  I still think it’s really about wording and this deal ultimately gets done.  But without CJ we would absolutely need to go DT round 1 next year, and then hope we continue to develop and get more pressure from other areas.

1 hour ago, onejayhawk said:

CJ is under contract for 2023. The team appears ready to let him play out the contract and get the big payoff from someone else.

No one, including Mahomes, is the highest-paid player at his position. It appears that will continue. 

You’re saying this based off of what? That they haven’t come to an agreement yet?  Still time, can negotiate all year long too if necessary.  I think if the tan was really at a that’s what we’re offering, deal with it.  Somebody would have leaked more than that it was a “substantial offer”.

7 hours ago, EMAW_KSU said:

You’re saying this based off of what? That they haven’t come to an agreement yet?  Still time, can negotiate all year long too if necessary.  I think if the tan was really at a that’s what we’re offering, deal with it.  Somebody would have leaked more than that it was a “substantial offer”.

This is based on what the FO is saying, which is basically that they made the best offer that they could afford. The Rams showed that even with someone as good as Aaron Donald it's possible to overpay. 

Jones is at the top of his game and will command elite money as a FA. He's going to be 30 years old which is a red flag age at the position. A smart GM gets prepared to part on friendly terms.