CJ95 Contract Situation

Chiefs_5627

5 hours ago, mayanfootball said:

I'm sure there's been a good faith effort to sign Chris. The fact that there's "talk" about sizeable money makes me believe this.

I agree. If not for that weird Donald contract I fully believe the offer would've been more than adequate from the front office.

19 hours ago, mayanfootball said:

Lock him out, I say. If he doesn't like playing in KC (are you kidding me man? You've got it made in the shade as far as places to choose from!!)

Go earn your d^^^ $ elsewhere. You ungrateful #### !!

Dude, we agree on a lot, and I mean this in the nicest possible way, but calm the hell down. If you were one of the top 2 people doing what you do, wouldn’t want to be paid like it?  Now imagine you were part of the reason your bosses made hundreds of millions of dollars and their parent company made BILLIONS.  A little more leverage.  Don’t get me wrong I want CJ95 in there, I want the deal to make sense, but people are acting like he beat his pregnant girlfriend, then his child, then sexually assaulted 26 women, then killed someone’s while drinking and driving, and wants the whole salary cap.  Ask dude has said is he loves KC, wants to finish his career here.  He wants to be paid, yeah it sucks. I’d love if he wanted a million over the current number two contract or less. But things don’t always happen that way.

39 minutes ago, EMAW_KSU said:

Don’t get me wrong I want CJ95 in there, I want the deal to make sense, but people are acting like he beat his pregnant girlfriend, then his child, then sexually assaulted 26 women, then killed someone’s while drinking and driving, and wants the whole salary cap.  

Aren't you playing this a bit "over the top" here? Not at all the context of what I posted..

Edited by mayanfootball

1 hour ago, mayanfootball said:

Aren't you playing this a bit "over the top" here? Not at all the context of what I posted..

Right, and what I’m saying is you’re acting like Chris Jones came to your house and kicked your dog.  Or made some personal attack.  Not a guy playing football that don’t actually affect your life.

Here’s something from Arrowhead Pride that I imagined was only a matter of time before something was leaked.  But shows you it may not be the dollars per say…

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2023/9/2/23856709/chiefs-salary-cap-chris-jones-not-seeking-aaron-donald-money

1 hour ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

Interesting breakdown by a pretty respected reporter: 

Here's another good take, similar points but a little more fleshed out, from someone I think particularly highly of regarding salary cap/contract stuff:

https://overthecap.com/thoughts-on-the-chiefs-offer-to-chris-jones

The numbers reported by Florio are based on the idea that the Chiefs would follow a similar path as the Rams and just assume that this year doesn’t exist when it comes to doing a deal with Jones. I would think it is doubtful the Chiefs are thinking that way and in many ways the offer likely shows that.

The $74.5 million offer works out to $24.8 million a year, but if we value this as new money, it represents an offer from the Chiefs worth $55 million in new money over two new years, an average of $27.5 million. That number is a “cleaner” figure than the $74.5 million which certainly leads me to believe the Chiefs are taking a traditional approach to the contract valuation. The $84.5 million that Florio says is the magic number would lead to a new money total of $65 million, or $32.5 million a season, which would blow away any other extension for a non-QB and fly past Donald’s number.

$27.5 million a season is certainly a fair offer that splits the market between Donald and everyone else. $32.5 million is probably too rich for the Chiefs. For the most part almost all of the past history is on the Chiefs side other than Donald. Contracts are valued using new money. Older pass rushers (Von Miller, Chandler Jones, Cam Jordan) have all signed contracts that averaged anywhere from $13 million to $20 million a season. The Chiefs offer blows those numbers away.

So when it comes to evaluating offers made to Jones it is important to keep in mind the way that typical contracts are valued to see how the offer compares to the market, the majority of which are valued on the basis of new money.

The consensus more and more seems to be, the Chiefs are viewing it in the sense of new money, while Jones's camp wants to pretend this year doesn't exist at all. And this is another Donald versus everyone else kind of thing. Donald's last year got thrown out. That is not the case for any of the other DTs that signed this year, though (Williams, Simmons, Lawrence.)

Regardless, this is still crossing the line of stupidity right now, because no matter the reason or what specifics they're quibbling about, he's going to lose more money at this rate than he stands to gain even if KC did give him exactly what he's asking for (which they won't.)

• Like 1

Isaiah Buggs of the Lions is posting some cryptic stuff and has apparently taken Detroit off of his socials. This seems like a pipe dream, but is there any chance? Is your FO entertaining the idea of trading Jones at all? I don't know what the return would be, but I assume it'd be big. Buggs + 1st and maybe more.

Again, I think it's a pipe dream but... maybe?

19 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

Isaiah Buggs of the Lions is posting some cryptic stuff and has apparently taken Detroit off of his socials. This seems like a pipe dream, but is there any chance? Is your FO entertaining the idea of trading Jones at all? I don't know what the return would be, but I assume it'd be big. Buggs + 1st and maybe more.

John Dorsey did draft Chris Jones and the Lions have more projected cap space than the Chiefs. Plus their window seems to be open(ing) with Rodgers out of the division.

I don't know anything about Buggs so I can't comment on him. But glancing at his stats, I wouldn't think him + a 1st would be enough. Now James Houston + a pick for Jones would interest me. He's young and about to be an ERFA according to Spotrac. That said, I don't see any way you trade Houston.

36 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

Just hard to say. I could see them trading him if it reaches the point they feel they have no other choice. We haven't been shy about moving on from great players if it's the best thing for the overall team build. Won't really know until something happens, though.

I vote to let him play out his contract and take the FA compensation, probably a 3rd round pick. That frees a lot of money and we have a ton of possible extensions coming up.

On the basic subject of 3-4 vs 4-3, not that we will do either exclusively, Keondre Coburn is a two-gap NT from Central Casting. Put him in the middle with GK at one end and Danna or Turk at the other. They would give the OL fits and the LB would feast.

Edited by onejayhawk

I just don’t get all the let him go, Time to move on.  I get fans are upset.  I want the guy to get into camp so he can wreak havoc.  But let’s not mistake, this defense runs through Jones and we are MUCH worse without him. Getting a player like Jones in the first round is rare, the second round incredible, third truly unimaginable.  Not just the stats but what he means to the team. I think the players are still backing him, but they’ve gotta be racing a frustration point too.