CJ95 Contract Situation

Chiefs_5627

13 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

This is based on what the FO is saying, which is basically that they made the best offer that they could afford. The Rams showed that even with someone as good as Aaron Donald it's possible to overpay. 

Jones is at the top of his game and will command elite money as a FA. He's going to be 30 years old which is a red flag age at the position. A smart GM gets prepared to part on friendly terms.

The front office said is in everyone’s best interest for Chris to finish his career in KC.  Don’t sound quite like waving the white flag on trying to get a deal done to me.

10 hours ago, EMAW_KSU said:

The front office said is in everyone’s best interest for Chris to finish his career in KC.  Don’t sound quite like waving the white flag on trying to get a deal done to me.

that sounds exactly like waving the flag. It says that the next move is up CJ and his agent.

That said, if anything happens we will have bland statements like this literally up to the announcement of the deal. It could happen fast. Both sides know the other position wella dn most likely there are only a couple of key points in play.

I just don't get what Jones gains at that point. Week 8 is an interesting point to specify, because that would be the trade deadline. Though I feel like if there was actual effort to shop him around, that would've leaked by now. But, if he genuinely were to hold out to that point, he'd be losing a little over $10M, for....what? Like, they would have to be drastically far apart, and he and his agent would have to be very, very confident that they can get what they want elsewhere, and force that to happen, for that to be worth it. Even to Jones, that's a lot of money to just give away for not showing up.

I also almost feel like that would be a great scenario for KC though, weirdly? Maybe this is too over-confident, but the regular season is almost a formality at this point. Like the jokes above about Spags defense sucking half the year, it's not that huge of a deal as long as it's figured out by post-season. Like, if he holds out, reports in week 9, and still actually plays at his normal level? We would just save cap space at that point...

I don't know, I don't get the angle here, from his side. Kind of just want the sage to be done, though.

• Like 2

I do wonder if the parting of Frank Clark changed things.    They were always together,  and it does seem like it went south quickly after we made it known Clark wouldn't be back.     At the end of the day,   it will hurt us this year.. if it doesn't happen.   But it's probably better for the long term if he isn't back.     I do hope he returns though.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2023 at 7:59 AM, RedGold said:

I do wonder if the parting of Frank Clark changed things.    They were always together,  and it does seem like it went south quickly after we made it known Clark wouldn't be back.     At the end of the day,   it will hurt us this year.. if it doesn't happen.   But it's probably better for the long term if he isn't back.     I do hope he returns though.

I’ve thought about that, but when you’re wanting big money I think you have to understand that things are not always going to work out for everyone.

I do t care if he’s in Miami, no reason for him to be in KC, it’s not like he is talking to KC in person.  His agents are doing the talking.

The week 8 thing is interesting because doesn’t a player have to report by a certain date for it to count as a year in terms of contract and being vested?  I know that used to be the case.  I am still hoping this is more snapping back at that poster than anything.

Until he requests a trade I’m holding out hope we’re not that far apart.