2023 Offensive line.

Old Guy

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

Isn't Tom pretty well cemented in at RT? Do you see him as a possibility of being the center? I don't want to move a guy who can be a tackle for 10 years inside. 

I feel like he's RT this year and then maybe LT next year.  I see him as a center only to get us out of game because of injury.  Same for JRJ at center.

I really don't want to move Tom inside either, except in a pinch.  Unsure if he's a long term answer at RT or LT.  But he's certainly one of them.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I feel like he's RT this year and then maybe LT next year.  I see him as a center only to get us out of game because of injury.  Same for JRJ at center.

I really don't want to move Tom inside either, except in a pinch.  Unsure if he's a long term answer at RT or LT.  But he's certainly one of them.

Here is the real question because I don't know if Bak will be healthy all 17 games. Do you flip Tom to LT in that case or only make one move and play Nijman at LT? I assume he is still ahead of Walker on the depth chart, but that certainly could change. 

Edited by Old Guy

2 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Isn't Tom pretty well cemented in at RT? Do you see him as a possibility of being the center? I don't want to move a guy who can be a tackle for 10 years inside. 

Here is how I see it playing out.

Bak - Jenkins - Myers - Runyan - Tom. I don't think there are any surprises. 

I would guess that the sentiment is that Nijman is better at tackle than any of the back-up centers are at center, so you take your pick of Tom, Runyan, or Jenkins moving to center and Nijman comes in at RT while Tom occupies the center or moved guard position.  It still probably leaves us thin at the interior positions.  But you probably keep the overall more talented team by keeping an extra tackle on the roster rather than two interior back-ups (Walker, Jones > Hanson, Newman).  

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

Here is the real question because I don't know if Bak will be healthy all 17 games. Do you flip Tom to LT in that case or only make one move and play Nijman? I assume he is still ahead of Walker on the depth chart, but that certainly could change. 

If it were me?  I'd flip Walker in there without any hesitation.  But you know I really like Walker at LT.

But, it is probably more likely that Nijman steps in.  I've felt like LT is Nijman's best spot, and I'd be hesitant to move Tom out of RT for this year.

Just now, ThatJerkDave said:

I would guess that the sentiment is that Nijman is better at tackle than any of the back-up centers are at center, so you take your pick of Tom, Runyan, or Jenkins moving to center and Nijman comes in at RT while Tom occupies the center or moved guard position.  It still probably leaves us thin at the interior positions.  But you probably keep the overall more talented team by keeping an extra tackle on the roster rather than two interior back-ups (Walker, Jones > Hanson, Newman).  

I'm not a huge fan of making multiple moves on the offensive line in game. I'd sooner roll with the backup center to get us out of that game. 

6 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

If it were me?  I'd flip Walker in there without any hesitation.  But you know I really like Walker at LT.

But, it is probably more likely that Nijman steps in.  I've felt like LT is Nijman's best spot, and I'd be hesitant to move Tom out of RT for this year.

As you can see below, I agree. I'm not a fan of making multiple swaps on the offensive line when one guy goes down during a game. IMO, the back up at that position has to get us out of a game. If you have the week to prepare, it makes sense.

5 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I'm not a huge fan of making multiple moves on the offensive line in game. I'd sooner roll with the backup center to get us out of that game. 

Edited by Old Guy

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

If an injury occurs anywhere on the OL, you want Nijman in the game, not the 7-8th best guy. 

You weaken the line at multiple positions IMO. Also, they started Walker last week over Nijman. Was he injured? Maybe he no longer considered the 6th best guy. I would be shocked if he wasn't though.

I will respectfully disagree with you if it happens in a game. If you have the week to prepare, it makes sense. I'm willing to admit I could be wrong, and they would roll with it as you suggested. 

3 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

You weaken the line at multiple positions IMO. Also, they started Walker last week over Nijman. Was he injured? Maybe he no longer considered the 6th best guy. I would be shocked if he wasn't though.

I will respectfully disagree with you if it happens in a game. If you have the week to prepare, it makes sense. I'm willing to admit I could be wrong, and they would roll with it as you suggested. 

You're only as strong as your weakest link on the OL. Tom to IOL and Nijman to OT is still stronger than keeping Tom at RT and putting Rhyan or Newman in the game. A minor weakening at two positions is less of a hit than a major hit to one position.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

8 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

If an injury occurs anywhere on the OL, you want Nijman in the game, not the 7-8th best guy. 

Hahaha, I agree with both.  Ideally, you make the fewest moves possible.  At the same time, I really believe that Nijman is a starting caliber player, while I also believe that none of the back-up interior players are that level.  Getting Nijman in the game at tackle is not nearly the drop off in skill that playing Hanson, Newman, or Rhyan is on the interior.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Walker wise....

You know I'm a big fan and supporter of his.

But my guess is that he hadn't passed Nijman by game time.  Rather that was his chance to pass Nijman.  Kind of an audition to see if he can lock down that side for extended time in a game.  

Also guessing they knew that about Nijman already.

4 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Here is how I see it playing out.

Bak - Jenkins - Myers - Runyan - Tom. I don't think there are any surprises. 

That 5 seems to be the starting group when you swap Nijman for Bak during the PS games.   Hope that the staff is looking for continuity with as many of the players at their #1 spot going into the season.  

4 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

You're only as strong as your weakest link on the OL. Tom to IOL and Nijman to OT is still stronger than keeping Tom at RT and putting Rhyan or Newman in the game. A minor weakening at two positions is less of a hit than a major hit to one position.

I agree. And I think it can be debated whether Tom replacing Myers is a weakening at all. 

7 hours ago, vegas492 said:

A lot of people are high on Walker. Gives us incredible flexibility going forward. 

• Like 1

Can Caleb Jones play guard ?

We have Bakhtiari, Tom, Walker and Nijman at Tackle, who probably all make the team. So, given that Caleb Jones is such a huge human being, could he play guard ?

The Packers are thin at guard in terms of quality. Jenkins and Runyan are starters, but after that - Rhyan if he keeps improving maybe, Newman I'm not enthusiastic about.

It may well be that at his height, at guard he cannot fully use his 36" arms and that 6'9", 370lb frame, against lower-to-the-ground guys, like Mike Daniels of old was. I guess the Packers don't see it with him at guard, or they would have tried him there.

Keeping Jones on the 53 is attractive if the Packers see further improvement is possible, guys with that size/weight/agility combo are so rare, but the tackle logjam makes it very hard for him to make the team as a tackle prospect this year. If the Packers expect to lose both Bakhtiari and Nijman at the end of 2023, then Jones finds a far easier path with Walker and Tom as starters and him backing up (lots of assumptions there, I know).

Sadly, I think the most likely scenario is that he is gone, but another year on the PS is possible, I guess.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive