JuJu Smith-Schuster, George Illoka Suspended 1 game

TheVillain112

19 minutes ago, JLambert58 said:

JuJu suspension for that hit is nonsense.  But standing over Burfict was a bad look and probably didn't earn him any sympathy with the league office.  

I did like that Decastro pushed JuJu away. Decastro has been in the scrum with Cinci before and even he thought it was a bad look.

I think it is fair to say that in this case Gronk got away with too light a penalty compared to Juju and Illoka. 

The NFL really should set some criteria that would standardize the penalty system for players a bit. Did the hit take place after the play? Was there a clear intend to injure the other player? Which part of the body was targeted? Prior offenses? etc should all be clearly taken into account and weighted. Now it seems very random to me as a fan, and I doubt it's different for a player. 

AJ Green tackles a guy down by his head twice and continues to punch him AFTER the play, no suspension

George Iloka makes a bang-bang football play and hits a guy who jumped up high, and gets a game? 

I'm sorry, I truly don't understand the logic here. 

40 minutes ago, JLambert58 said:

JuJu suspension for that hit is nonsense.  But standing over Burfict was a bad look and probably didn't earn him any sympathy with the league office.  

Don't act like the Iloka suspension isn't nonsense as well. Two terrible suspensions, IMO. This league has no consistency whatsoever. 

If the NFL doesn’t like how the game got out of hand and how it looks to the public  2 far more effective solutions: 

1.  Eject guys sooner in this type of grudge match.  Context matters.  

2.  More importantly stop scheduling it in prime time.  

I’d say if it wasn’t in prime time no way JuJu gets suspended.  Illoka hit was actually way worse but a suspension for taunting is ridiculous.  Even Illoka was in the heat of action.  SMH both don’t get suspensions IMO if it isn’t seen in prime time with the known background.  

In a league that’s seen multiple stomping incidents, twisting guys at the neck, eye gouging, ankle twisting, body slams, fist fights, crotch shots, and illegal hits to the head - some flagged, some not, some suspended, some not - we have went absolutely nowhere in terms of figuring out what is actually a suspendable offense at this point.

Precedent is virtually non existent because there’s probably an incident of a guy doing something worse or equally as flagrant, but not being punished in the same way. And the same can be said in the other direction. 

I am sorry but this is why people are no longer taking the NFL seriously. On Sunday Night on the NFL Network's flagship program, Hall of Famer Deion Sanders put it best. The league has been inconsistent and given little to repercussions for things like this all season. He pointed out how there have been three incidents that clearly should've resulted in suspension and yet, at the time, only one did so he didn't think Gronk would be suspended...

He pointed out how NFL Refs allowed AJ Green to assault Jalen Ramsey and there were no suspensions from the altercation. He then pointed out how Michael Crabtree and Aqib Talib got into an altercation and were ultimately given one game. So he concluded that Gronk wouldn't get suspended though ultimately wrong. However, his point was ultimately correct and these suspensions prove it...

JuJu Smith-Schuster should not have stood over Burfict. It was classless and though he apologized it wasn't necessary. Especially since he has no history in the battle between these two teams. That said, as someone pointed out, Smith-Schuster's block was 6 inches away from being legal. Even with it being illegal it's his first penalty of this nature. And to be honest, I'm not mad that Iloka hit Brown in the head because the game was essentially on the line. I don't think there was anything "cheap" or "dirty" about it. Just a frustration play trying to save the game for his team. That said, neither play should've been possible because a precedent in making sure these games weren't so agressive should have been set. But it never was. Because the NFL wanted to sell this rivalry to the 4 Networks. They could've nipped this in the bud when Burfict kicked Nix in the facemask during the first game and set a precedent that the extra and cheap stuff wouldn't be tolerated... But they refused to... and they let it keep going because controvery sells. Now the league wants to get on it's high horse and suspend two guys without history?

What a joke..

6 minutes ago, renndawg37 said:

Don't act like the Iloka suspension isn't nonsense as well. Two terrible suspensions, IMO. This league has no consistency whatsoever. 

Wasn't acting like that.  In fact, didn't mention it at all.  

Saw the play live, but due to the Shazier and JuJu situations, wasn't really focused on it.  Went back and looked at it again.  Iloka hit was much worse than the JuJu hit imo.  Iloka suspension I understand more than the JuJu suspension, but I'd be in favor of a fine rather than suspension for the Iloka hit.  He speared him with the crown of his helmet, so he gets what he gets.  

2 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I do agree with @TheVillain112 here. I think both suspensions are weak but like he said, these games are getting out of hand between these teams. The NFL needs to take care of it because people are getting legitimately hurt. 

The problem is that, if you go back to the Game Discussion Topics for both teams over the last two years, you will see the fans saying this. Yet the refs did nothing! Every single time. But now we care? If Shazier didn't get injured I even wonder if we freakin' get either suspension. What a joke.

Just now, JLambert58 said:

Wasn't acting like that.  In fact, didn't mention it at all.  

Saw the play live, but due to the Shazier and JuJu situations, wasn't really focused on it.  Went back and looked at it again.  Iloka hit was much worse than the JuJu hit imo.  Iloka suspension I understand more than the JuJu suspension, but I'd be in favor of a fine rather than suspension for the Iloka hit.  He speared him with the crown of his helmet, so he gets what he gets.  

Fair enough. 

Maybe I have to watch it again, but that Iloka play to me happens in the NFL fairly often, and I don't really remember any other guys getting suspended for it. But it is what it is. I'm still kinda mad that AJ Green was even allowed to play against us after what he did though lol. 

2 minutes ago, renndawg37 said:

Fair enough. 

Maybe I have to watch it again, but that Iloka play to me happens in the NFL fairly often, and I don't really remember any other guys getting suspended for it. But it is what it is. I'm still kinda mad that AJ Green was even allowed to play against us after what he did though lol. 

Definitely inconsistent policing of dirty / dangerous plays.  Intent should be a major factor in handing out suspensions.  

39 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I did like that Decastro pushed JuJu away. Decastro has been in the scrum with Cinci before and even he thought it was a bad look.

Yes I noticed that right away. DD came right in and pushed him away from standing over him.

42 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

17 minutes ago, JLambert58 said:

Yeah, I saw that.  Vet keeping a rook in line.  

2 minutes ago, 1BackInBlackFan said:

Yes I noticed that right away. DD came right in and pushed him away from standing over him.

DHB after the game actually made sure that JuJu didn't go over the Bengals sideline.  Nothing nefarious on JuJu's part but I think DHB was just worried about 'retaliation' and thought it was probably smarter for JuJu to just go to the locker room.  Although honestly with Pacman and Burfict out, I don't see any other player on the Bengals team that would do anything like that.  Respect to the Vets tho (DeCastro and DHB) for ensuring things didn't get any worse:

Archived