JuJu Smith-Schuster, George Illoka Suspended 1 game

TheVillain112

23 hours ago, TXsteeler said:

It's because the NFL just suspends people for PR reasons. A player can be known to beat the hell out of his kids or dogs and nothing happens until a video or something comes out and the public gets enraged.

Gronk decided to be a pos which put the league on edge and the Shazier went and almost tackled himself into a wheelchair in the beginning of the game which makes the game look very dangerous. Then JuJu gets a clean hit that just happens to destroy a guy and he forgets himself and stands over the man making him look like some kind of monster (even though every single one of us over 20 would have loved that hit 10 years ago) when Burfict has to get carted off the field (even though he jumped off the gd cart apparently and walked into the locker room moments later).

It is 100% PR off the backs of a bunch of hypocrites  -- Yep!  Just 3-4 short years ago, the photo 'stills' would be for sale on NFL.com within hours after the game!

virtue signalling after the Gronk hit and Shazier injury and applying emotions to a situation that don't need them.

I bet you $100 if Shazier hadn't gone down like that and Gronk hadn't done what he did, nobody would be pretending to care about the JuJu hit, although he would have still be flagged, and it would have ended up just being a fine. Same thing with the hit on AB. Flag and a fine are standard fair for those hits until today. 

Also note that most people getting upset at JuJu or Iloka are mentioning Shazier but not Mixon. I wonder why that is seeing as how he was the only other player who appeared to actually suffer a serious injury apart from Shazier? Actually I don't have to wonder because I know that it's because there was no big hit where it happened to flash on highlights all day for TV ratings or to put gifs of for clicks. That and I'm sure some of these virtue signalers don't know how to feel about feeling sympathy for Mixon.

I 100% hate to see anybody get hurt, even Burfict who I think should be thrown out of the league. And I hate the injuries on both sides that have been happening in all these Steelers Bengals games the last few years, I want it to stop and I blame Marvin Lewis and Mike Tomlin for allowing it to continue. I would be 100% for the NFL letting it be known before the next game that any hits even like JuJu's or Iloka's will lead to instant ejection to try and stop this crap as long as it's established before hand that they aren't going to tolerate that stuff, but right now it's just PR suspensions to try and make the NFL look better.

Always remember that the NFL doesn't actually care about player safety though, and they love the big hits during Bengals Steelers  -- See Above  

...and that's why they keep scheduling late season prime time games between the two teams, because big hits and rivalry bring ratings. I bet they have another prime time game next year -- And what do we have on tap this Sunday night...Oh, that's right, the Steelers and Ravens, another 'powder puff' matchup...

...where they will sit there and lead up to the game talking about all these hits and crap between the teams while they show replays and talk about how "bad" it is.

Yep. It is pretty pitiful how the League Office decides to issue out Fines and Suspensions. It's completely arbitrary; based on zero precedence and changes like the wind. Like has been said multiple times in this thread already...any other players in any other game and they would've been flagged and fined; end of story. The league office is making a mockery of itself by handing out the same suspension that it gave Gronk.

Can we please have Juju and Iloka produce the same hits on Goodell that they did in the game, then once he goes down, have Gronk come over and flatten him like he did White? I'll even be willing allow Goodell to put on pads and a Helmet! :D

3 hours ago, theJ said:

I used to hate these kind of comments.  Now i recognize that the NFL just has no idea what they're doing when it comes to this crap.  The suspensions don't make sense, a lot of the rules don't make sense, etc.  

The NFL used to be the golden goose.  They could just print money.  It's going to go the way of boxing because of this stuff.

It's rather satisfying to see everyone making the same argument I was making in 2007. When defending, of all people, Chris Henry (yes, I defended a Bengal before any Steeler was targeted).

I still dont understand the JuJu hit. Was totally clean. Thats what you are supposed to do if a defender is not paying attention. I played RT in high school and would do that. On one play my QB threw an INT and I didnt pay attention and a defender cleared me out! While it was a violent play it was part of the game

The reality of the Juju play was that Burfict and he were running in the same direction. And the language of the rule itself is written so that north/south is what matters, but this was horizontal. Burfict's simply not looking, but running the same direction as the blocker. It's not a crackback block at all.

It seems more like a "if you want to play like Hines Ward, we're going to enforce the Hines Ward rule on you" type ruling. It was a clean hit. I don't even want to hear about helmet to helmet because there really wasn't much of it. There was definite intent to deliver a blow because of who it was, in my view, but that's football.

9 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

The reality of the Juju play was that Burfict and he were running in the same direction. And the language of the rule itself is written so that north/south is what matters, but this was horizontal. Burfict's simply not looking, but running the same direction as the blocker. It's not a crackback block at all.

It seems more like a "if you want to play like Hines Ward, we're going to enforce the Hines Ward rule on you" type ruling. It was a clean hit. I don't even want to hear about helmet to helmet because there really wasn't much of it. There was definite intent to deliver a blow because of who it was, in my view, but that's football.

Why the hell should that matter? What idiot decided to word it that way instead of just talking about the direction of the players.

12 hours ago, BlaqOptic said:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-fantasy/0ap1000000063427/Golden-Tate-s-block-on-Sean-Lee

No suspension....

Former VP of Officiating...

Not a good look for the NFL right now.

Neither this, nor the JuJu hit, should have been a suspension. While I understand the flag in either case, both times the player being blocked seemed pretty squared up to the offender to my eyes.

The reason JuJu was suspended and Landry wasn't? Landry's hit didn't occur in primetime.

Archived