Isaiah Simmons is being traded from the Cardinals to the NY Giants for a seventh-round pick

Steelersfan43

25 minutes ago, y*so*blu said:

This is my concern as well. A weak upper body and stiff hips limit what he can do close to the line, and he gets lost in space when covering downfield.

Many Giants fans are excited about Simmons because they wanted him in the 2020 draft, but it's important to remember we aren't getting that player now. We're getting a project who has struggled for three years and might not be the most motivated guy in the world.

So, I have more of a "wait and see" mentality regarding the trade. But the price is definitely right. If any coaching staff can fix Isaiah Simmons, it's this one.

It is still a good deal for the Giants. At that price you take chances on players like this. I wouldn't expect him to come in and make a massive impact, but that doesn't change the fact that this was a good move.

Just don't think it is fair to compare Simmons to someone like Reddick... their situations were drastically different.

2 hours ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Just don't think it is fair to compare Simmons to someone like Reddick... their situations were drastically different.

Not really. The only real difference is AZ only wasted 2 years playing Hassan out of position. They've spent the past 3 years with Vance Joseph trying to find one for Simmons.

Maybe Isiah sucks as a LB 🤷‍♂️, is to big for a safety 🤷‍♂️ , but this idea he was a Swiss Army knife you could move all over the field on defense obviously wasn't the answer the Cardinals thought they were drafting. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Or mismanagement of resources?

I mean this is the same Franchise who tried to make Hassan Reddick a inside LB, rather then the pass rusher he obviously is. 

Coaching mattters!

Of course.

I thought bust at the time though, so I’m taking a premature victory lap on this one 😏 I’ll double down and say he will be a universal bust (not confirmed yet, I know)

• Like 1

I wanted him bad on draft day for the Raiders. I think he's worth a 7th but wouldn't fit McDaniels type of player. He wants guys to do what he wants not tell him what they want and adapt.  It also sounds like getting a 7th was good for Zona being he'd probably be cut (better safeties) if not for his name and past draft status. This is good for all involved as a fresh start might check his EGO and see he'll wash out like Myles Jack if he doesn't show a desire to be an NFL player. Today's NFL has changed the value of LB and RB. One (LB) has so few who produce at a level you'd want to break the bank to keep and the other (RB) can get production from so many that a stud isn't as necessary as it once was. Fantasy football has also changed the fanbase as it becomes more entertainment than sport. It's still a team game and coaches that can get players to do their jobs have a better chance of long term success than having players that want to build their brand by being noticed more than winning. Now I'll also throw in stupid owners having too many games not on Sunday and abroad. I understand that is a business decision but if player safety is important (lip service) I think they'd scale things back BEFORE they have a day in court that forces more changes. 

• Like 1

On 8/24/2023 at 11:57 PM, Scoundrel said:

Surprise… guy gets traded for nothing and fans of his former team **** on him to try and defend reasoning… nothing new to the FF world 

I remember reading here about how terrible Antrel Rolle was when Arizona cut him. Not a perfect player for us by any means, but good franchises (NE with Kyle Van Noy for instance) occasionally make other teams' terrible players look useful. 90th percentile outcome is that he's another Jaylon Smith or Jabril Peppers, but you never know!