Isaiah Simmons is being traded from the Cardinals to the NY Giants for a seventh-round pick

Steelersfan43

Surprising he didn't pan out at all. This is a good, low-risk move for the Giants. I remember the Rams converting Mark Barron into a LB, and he became a pretty solid player. I feel like Simmons would benefit a lot from a creative DC and a clear role in a defense.

13 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Surprising he didn't pan out at all. This is a good, low-risk move for the Giants. I remember the Rams converting Mark Barron into a LB, and he became a pretty solid player. I feel like Simmons would benefit a lot from a creative DC and a clear role in a defense.

I feel the same. I dont think ARI really had a actual plan for him and using him 'all over' not sticking to 1 thing probably killed his confidence. He has too much physical talent to not have a role, and for that I blame coaching.

You get him with the right DC with the right role defined for him--I bet he will become a really splashy player.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Jrry viewing the news forum where two of the top stories are the Cardinals trading a top 10 bust and the 49ers top 3 bust being relegated to qb3

Grinch GIFs | Tenor

• Like 3

Guys can laugh it up but the freaking dude played 50 games started 37 of those, had 4 INTs, 16 passes deflected, 7 forced fumbles, 7.5 sacks, 258 tackles, 181 solo tackles, 13 TFLs and 11 QB Hits in three years.

That is an awful player worth a 7th round pick?  Sure the Cardinals either did not know how to use him or did not want to try anymore on figuring it out.  But the guy can play and in the right system would be just fine.  3/4 defense is probably not the fit for him.  

7th round pick for a guy that physically gifted is a steal!  Curious the Giants took him but they might try him out as a SS type, where really in a 4/3 he could be a fine OLB or could be more of a coverage ILB.  Either way the kid is not nearly as awful as people are making him out to be here.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

But the guy can play and in the right system would be just fine.  3/4 defense is probably not the fit for him. *

7th round pick for a guy that physically gifted is a steal!  Curious the Giants took him but they might try him out as a SS type**, where really in a 4/3 he could be a fine OLB or could be more of a coverage ILB***. 

Cardinals switched to a 4-3 this year with the new regime. They are moving on from him. 

** that's where he was playing this off-season. Got outplayed in training camp and preseason by someone named JuJu Hughes. And Andre Chachere. And Kendall Brooks. And Sean Chandler. And of course Budda Baker and Jalen Thompson.

*** that's what he did the last three seasons. He can't cover. Too stiff. He just can't keep up with NFL talent and has trouble finding the football. And in run defense, he either gets absolutely obliterated or runs looping paths to the football because he's afraid of contact. 

14 minutes ago, HoboRocket said:

Cardinals switched to a 4-3 this year with the new regime. They are moving on from him. 

** that's where he was playing this off-season. Got outplayed in training camp and preseason by someone named JuJu Hughes. And Andre Chachere. And Kendall Brooks. And Sean Chandler. And of course Budda Baker and Jalen Thompson.

*** that's what he did the last three seasons. He can't cover. Too stiff. He just can't keep up with NFL talent and has trouble finding the football. And in run defense, he either gets absolutely obliterated or runs looping paths to the football because he's afraid of contact. 

I have not watched a ton of Arizona Cardinals football, and sure he might not fit the scheme they are trying to play currently but not sure I would call him some lock 3/4 LB either.  But no reason he cannot go back to linebacker if safety/DB did not work out.  

Not sure the Arizona Cardinals are in position to cut guys that are athletically gifted.  They have easily the absolute worst group of CBs in the NFL and their LB group is a mix of guys who could easily play in a 4/3 or 3/4 OLBs trying to transition to be more of a 4/3 DE.  Not sure they are so loaded at LB Simmons could not just go back to that.  So clearly there is more to this than he is some awful player I think....

Did he have some problems with the coaching staff or management?  Was he forced to switch to DB and he did not like that or something?  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Did he have some problems with the coaching staff or management?  Was he forced to switch to DB and he did not like that or something?  

He went to our new coaching staff and asked to play free safety. He genuinely lost this job. He would've been a backup. Thompson and Baker are both very good safeties. Then he didn't play well enough for us to say Thompson should be in the slot. Kei'trel Clark and Antonio Hamilton beat him for jobs in the secondary. He just simply doesn't work hard enough. 

He also does not strike me as a good locker room guy. He thinks he's the ****

Edited by LuckyNumber11
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Forge said:

Jrry viewing the news forum where two of the top stories are the Cardinals trading a top 10 bust and the 49ers top 3 bust being relegated to qb3

Grinch GIFs | Tenor

Yes, we're about to dominate the NFC West with our roster full of well-known stars, like Jake Hummel, Marquise Copeland, Michael Hoecht, and Alaric Jackson.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HoboRocket said:

Don't scoff at JuJu Hughes. He flashed quite a bit when he was with the Rams. Guy at minimum will bring it on special teams.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LuckyNumber11 said:

He went to our new coaching staff and asked to play free safety. He genuinely lost this job. He would've been a backup. Thompson and Baker are both very good safeties. Then he didn't play well enough for us to say Thompson should be in the slot. Kei'trel Clark and Antonio Hamilton beat him for jobs in the secondary. He just simply doesn't work hard enough. 

He also does not strike me as a good locker room guy. He thinks he's the ****

It just seems very odd to me that a team so lacking in DB talent outside of two players literally is willing to get rid of him for almost nothing.  The dude can run, is versatile and the fact he is willing to switch to safety is interesting and he is probably right, he would be better there but I would not say he would be a FS he would be more of a SS that plays around the line of scrimmage or in the box.

Just is odd also that Gannon cannot think of ways to use a talented guy like especially blitzing a guy like that in sub packages or nickel defenses where he plays more the slot or a third safety.  Clearly they clashed and he did not like his attitude or something etc.  

Maybe Kei'Trel Clark can be a solid corner for them opposite Wilson but still they are really lacking in CB talent.  

Just is funny to get rid of a productive player on the last year of his contract and get a 7th rounder for him, much less get rid of him on a team that is arguably one of the least talented rosters in the NFL top to bottom.  Maybe the owner/GM just wanted to save $4.5 mil or whatever.  

4 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Just is funny to get rid of a productive player on the last year of his contract and get a 7th rounder for him, much less get rid of him on a team that is arguably one of the least talented rosters in the NFL top to bottom.  Maybe the owner/GM just wanted to save $4.5 mil or whatever.  

That's where I think the disconnect is here for you. His stats are empty calories. Gannon has watched guys on his defenses the last few years who are UDFAs or JAGs put up the stats. He wanted to play safety here, and he was not going to see the field, especially at safety. Again, probably the two best players on the whole team are safeties. Jalen Thompson is an incredibly underrated player. Clark in the slot, with Hamilton outside, when they also are going to get 3rd rounder Garrett Williams back from injury soon, is more appealing than having Isaiah pout on social media while he sits on the bench. 

We don't have a very talented roster, then what does that say that Isaiah Simmons couldn't win a starting spot on this team? 

Seems like an okay gamble on an athlete if you've got a plan for him.  Just playing him in some sort of weird quasi-LBer role, designated blitzer or something, who knows.  But it's a 7th round pick.  He doesn't have a real position and lacks too many of the things that would make him effective in any conventional role, but he wasn't drafted so highly because he's completely lacking intriguing tools.  Just a matter of figuring out how to let him actually use those tools constructively, while minimizing all the things he's shown he can't do effectively.