Isaiah Simmons is being traded from the Cardinals to the NY Giants for a seventh-round pick

Steelersfan43

1 hour ago, Scoundrel said:

Yeah because you got more for him… my post literally speaks of the condition

Yeah but I said it was a bad trade for AZ. Even worse that they essentially traded both players for Josh Dobbs. I think ppl say bad things about Simmons cause he has been a liability on the field his entire carer. Also said his best position is LB where NYG plan to play him. 

10 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

Yeah but I said it was a bad trade for AZ. Even worse that they essentially traded both players for Josh Dobbs. I think ppl say bad things about Simmons cause he has been a liability on the field his entire carer. Also said his best position is LB where NYG plan to play him. 

That’s fair. You and I would both be a liability too with garbage coaching from a franchise such as Arizona. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Another lesson in hype 

Or mismanagement of resources?

I mean this is the same Franchise who tried to make Hassan Reddick a inside LB, rather then the pass rusher he obviously is. 

Coaching mattters!

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 3

People are actually in here defending this guy’s play? He was either a LBer that sucks vs the run because he’s not physical and has no instincts, or he’s a DB that can’t cover. He’s a great athlete but great athletes fail at the NFL level more often than they succeed. 

Not defending the Cardinals’ coaching or crapping on the Giants for taking a flier, fwiw. I think people are too stuck on their prospect opinions here, no one was talking about how grossly Kevin White or Dion Jordan or John Ross or Greg Robinson were miscoached. Simmons was (is) an elite athletes that never had an NFL skillset, he was just so big and explosive that you hoped he could develop some. Maybe he still can, who knows. Hasn’t shown it, though. 

Why does an undersized Hufanga thrive playing near the LOS? Because he’s physical as hell and has great instincts. Same with Bob Sanders. Same with Patrick Chung. Why does Fred Warner play coverage so well as a LBer? Because he’s super instinctive, knows how to read offenses, and yes, is a great athlete. He’s physical. You kinda can’t be a box player nowadays and be soft and afraid of contact. DBs can get by on that, but they’re DBs, they can cover. Simmons can’t cover either. He’s got the worst of both worlds without being great at either, he’s just big and fast. 

Edited by Soko
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

I mean this is the same Franchise who tried to make Hassan Reddick a inside LB, rather then the pass rusher he obviously is. 

Coaching mattters!

Difference is Reddick was awesome for the Cardinals as a pass rusher his last year. Simmons has been terrible at every position he has played. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Coaching mattters!

Massive difference between Reddick and Simmons lol. Reddick was played completely out of position for sure, but he had success in AZ once they found where to put him. He was a good player who was miscast. Simmons is an LB who wants to play Safety but isn't good at either position. Could he have more success with better coaching and being put into a spot where he can lean on his strengths? Sure. But that doesn't all of a sudden make him a much better player, it just means he is a limited player who is being cast in a better role.

Simmons is just not good at football. He is a very good athlete who has very few strengths and a lot of weaknesses when actually playing football.

• Like 2

On 8/24/2023 at 1:59 PM, minutemancl said:

How could both of those things be true?

Because he has crazy potential still. He could easily have a late career surge. He was misused in ARI too, which didn’t help. He was bad, thus the 7th round pick value.

Simmons is struggling because he should be a 4-3 SLB. That position doesn’t really exist anymore ever since the nickel player became such a staple/necessity. 

@Soko @AZ_Eaglesfan

Thank you for having watched the Cardinals and seeing the Isaiah Simmons sucks. Casuals just look at that stat line and think he must be great lol. This is not a Reddick situation. We have put this guy in lots of different roles, whether it be LB, Nickel, or safety and he has failed each time. Maybe Wink can make him okay, but the days of him being a premier prospect are gone. He just does not have good effort/toughness or good football instincts. 

2 hours ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Massive difference between Reddick and Simmons lol. Reddick was played completely out of position for sure, but he had success in AZ once they found where to put him. He was a good player who was miscast. Simmons is an LB who wants to play Safety but isn't good at either position. Could he have more success with better coaching and being put into a spot where he can lean on his strengths? Sure. But that doesn't all of a sudden make him a much better player, it just means he is a limited player who is being cast in a better role.

Simmons is just not good at football. He is a very good athlete who has very few strengths and a lot of weaknesses when actually playing football.

This is my concern as well. A weak upper body and stiff hips limit what he can do close to the line, and he gets lost in space when covering downfield.

Many Giants fans are excited about Simmons because they wanted him in the 2020 draft, but it's important to remember we aren't getting that player now. We're getting a project who has struggled for three years and might not be the most motivated guy in the world.

So, I have more of a "wait and see" mentality regarding the trade. But the price is definitely right. If any coaching staff can fix Isaiah Simmons, it's this one.

Edited by y*so*blu