The Road to 53: The Birds cut the dead weight

EaglesPeteC

1 minute ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

This is interesting. If they do this I could maybe see them keeping an extra CB. Would free up a roster spot and move a guy I am sure fans are not excited to see even as a 4th/5th DE.

If we do trade Barnett, to me it signals more of a move to a more focused 3-4 defense. Barnett doesn't really fit in there and it's allow Reddick and Nolan to play more on the EDGE, less of a need to take LB aspects into consideration, and of course Carter, Cox, and Davis can all be on the field at the same time. 

Don't feel comfortable with our traditional 4-3 EDGE depth to make a move like that personally.

2 minutes ago, Danger said:

If we do trade Barnett, to me it signals more of a move to a more focused 3-4 defense. Barnett doesn't really fit in there and it's allow Reddick and Nolan to play more on the EDGE, less of a need to take LB aspects into consideration, and of course Carter, Cox, and Davis can all be on the field at the same time. 

Don't feel comfortable with our traditional 4-3 EDGE depth to make a move like that personally.

We are going to be using a lot of 5-2 looks same as last year. The defense isn't going to change dramatically from last years in terms of how they lineup. It seems like Desai will be more willing to be more aggressive though based on preseason but we will have to wait and see.

I don't think our DE depth is a massive issue if we move Barnett. We have plenty of pass rushers and the team likes Tarron Jackson. Also Milton fills in at DE and I think they will give Carter some snaps there as well in some packages.

2 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

We are going to be using a lot of 5-2 looks same as last year. The defense isn't going to change dramatically from last years in terms of how they lineup. It seems like Desai will be more willing to be more aggressive though based on preseason but we will have to wait and see.

I don't think our DE depth is a massive issue if we move Barnett. We have plenty of pass rushers and the team likes Tarron Jackson. Also Milton fills in at DE and I think they will give Carter some snaps there as well in some packages.

ok maybe someone who knows more of the football X's and O's can push back on this, but really how different are 3-4 (functionally, in the modern NFL) from a 5-2. To me they're basically the same thing, and frankly a 5-2 is just a more accurate name for what the NFL has been doing for almost 2 decades now.

14 minutes ago, EaglesFlySBChampsHigh said:

Rather make a cut somewhere else to keep Ricks

I would love to keep Ricks but there is a numbers game to play here and only so many guys can make the team. The reality is Ricks is likely not going to be a big contributor this year if he does make the team and in order to keep him they will have to cut someone who likely would play more. That doesn't mean they won't keep him, but they will have to elevate people from the PS to fill specific holes which you can only do 3 times...

We just have a lot of good CB's. But we also have a lot of good DT's and DE's. One thing I could see them doing is trading Barnett and then maybe stashing Covey on the PS for 3 weeks and elevating him like they did last year. But again that only works a few times so eventually the rubber is going to have to meet the road. It is just hard to keep two CB's on your roster who likely won't contribute or even be active.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Danger said:

ok maybe someone who knows more of the football X's and O's can push back on this, but really how different are 3-4 (functionally, in the modern NFL) from a 5-2. To me they're basically the same thing, and frankly a 5-2 is just a more accurate name for what the NFL has been doing for almost 2 decades now.

I mean in terms of the personnel used yes a 5-2 is similar to a 3-4 lol. But this is what we ran all of last year. Hence why we brought in Davis/Joseph to play NT for us.

Edited by AZ_Eaglesfan

11 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Who would trade for Derrick Barnett? Best I think we could hope for is a player swap maybe for a 5th WR or 4th LB for someone else barely rosterable 

Not sure, any team that needs DE depth would be reasonable though. I obviously wouldn't expect a haul for him, but I do think they would move him if the compensation was right.

Edited by AZ_Eaglesfan

39 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

I would love to keep Ricks but there is a numbers game to play here and only so many guys can make the team. The reality is Ricks is likely not going to be a big contributor this year if he does make the team and in order to keep him they will have to cut someone who likely would play more. That doesn't mean they won't keep him, but they will have to elevate people from the PS to fill specific holes which you can only do 3 times...

We just have a lot of good CB's. But we also have a lot of good DT's and DE's. One thing I could see them doing is trading Barnett and then maybe stashing Covey on the PS for 3 weeks and elevating him like they did last year. But again that only works a few times so eventually the rubber is going to have to meet the road. It is just hard to keep two CB's on your roster who likely won't contribute or even be active.

Can we keep him and bs an IR injury? It's really gonna suck to cut him and watch him shine on someone's team. Hopefully he's not spiteful in this scenario and leaves the nfce completely lol

3 minutes ago, EaglesFlySBChampsHigh said:

Can we keep him and bs an IR injury? It's really gonna suck to cut him and watch him shine on someone's team. Hopefully he's not spiteful in this scenario and leaves the nfce completely lol

I saw on Twitter that might be a possibility since he missed a little time due to an injury he sustained in preseason 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EaglesFlySBChampsHigh said:

I don't know exactly how IR works but he isn't a vested vet so if we want to put him on IR you have to waive him first which means he is subject to waivers(I think not totally sure on this could be wrong). And if we did waive him he would be subject to waivers so he wouldn't be able to pick his landing spot. It would have to be a team that needs outside CB help as he has to go on their 53 if they pick him up. If he cleared waivers he would 100% come back to the PS there would be no reason not to for him.

1 hour ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

I don't know exactly how IR works but he isn't a vested vet so if we want to put him on IR you have to waive him first which means he is subject to waivers(I think not totally sure on this could be wrong). And if we did waive him he would be subject to waivers so he wouldn't be able to pick his landing spot. It would have to be a team that needs outside CB help as he has to go on their 53 if they pick him up. If he cleared waivers he would 100% come back to the PS there would be no reason not to for him.

Yeah I'm not 100% either but in that scenario yeah he's gone again :(