The Road to 53: The Birds cut the dead weight

EaglesPeteC

4 hours ago, Danger said:

ok maybe someone who knows more of the football X's and O's can push back on this, but really how different are 3-4 (functionally, in the modern NFL) from a 5-2. To me they're basically the same thing, and frankly a 5-2 is just a more accurate name for what the NFL has been doing for almost 2 decades now.

Essentially the same yeah. 

Biggest thing is the slight differences in linemen. But even that has blurred. You think of Richard Seymour as that 3-4 end, in our 5-2 you are going to have Jalen Carter or Fletch at that spot. And there’s a difference but it’s fairly small.

Ideally you do what the Howie & Co did and get guys that can do both. Right now they can play traditional 3-4, go 4-3 or stick in that 5-2…really can do whatever.

But yeah slower, smaller 4-3 ends that don’t have a ton of strength or speed are gonna be a little lost. DB is that.

3 hours ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

I don't know exactly how IR works but he isn't a vested vet so if we want to put him on IR you have to waive him first which means he is subject to waivers(I think not totally sure on this could be wrong). And if we did waive him he would be subject to waivers so he wouldn't be able to pick his landing spot. It would have to be a team that needs outside CB help as he has to go on their 53 if they pick him up. If he cleared waivers he would 100% come back to the PS there would be no reason not to for him.

They can put him on IR now, he’d just be shut down for the year then.

More likely you sign him to the 53 and cut a guy like Lovato, Penny or Boston Scott. Put him on IR, then resign that vet. That allows him to come back this year. 

Otherwise yeah we are opening him up to waivers, of which we are second to last.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

They can put him on IR now, he’d just be shut down for the year then.

More likely you sign him to the 53 and cut a guy like Lovato, Penny or Boston Scott. Put him on IR, then resign that vet. That allows him to come back this year. 

Otherwise yeah we are opening him up to waivers, of which we are second to last.

Well we definitely wouldn't claim him if we did waive him lol but ya I get it. I just don't know the exact rules of IR and how it works. Like does a player have to be injured? Would there be a reason for a player like Ricks to not want to be on IR outside of being unable to play? It would be perfect if the Eagles could just throw him on IR now and stash him there for the year so we don't lose him, but I can't see how that would be allowed by the league lol.

Idk I am just not completely convinced Ricks is getting claimed if he is cut. Sure it is definitely a possibility.... but the guy was still a UDFA. If a team really thought super highly of him they could have drafted him and the only new tape of him is in preseason vs 2s and 3s. A lot of times I feel like teams will stick to their evaluations on guys, but maybe his play turned some heads. Will be interesting to see what happens for sure. Howie has done really well with UDFAs the past couple of years and Ricks is just another example of that.

21 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Slot I think he also returns punts 

Hes the 6th rookie Colt to return a kickoff for TD I think the stat was that I read couple hours ago

"A phenomenal special teams standout, Rodgers became just the sixth rookie in Colts history to return a kickoff for a touchdown, earning PFWA All-Rookie honors last season."

Edited by EaglesFlySBChampsHigh

I don't see how it's so hard to keep Ricks now. Especially, since Zech got injured.

QB - Hurts, Mariota, McKee

RB - Swift, Penny, Gainwell, Scott

WR - Brown, Smith, Watkins, Zacchaeus, Covey

TE - Goedert, Stoll, Calcaterra

LT - Mailata, F. Johnson

LG - Dickerson, Opeta

C - Kelce

RG - Jurgens, Steen

RT - L. Johnson, Driscoll

(24)

Defense

DE - Graham, Sweat, Barnett, T. Jackson

DT - Cox, Carter, Davis, Williams, Tuipulotu, Ojomo

LB - Reddick, Dean, Cunningham, Elliss, Smith, P. Johnson

CB - Slay, Bradberry, Maddox, Jobe, Ringo, Ricks

S - Blankenship, Edmunds, Brown, Wallace 

(26) 

Unless I'm missing somebody obvious, that's about what I expect the team to look like. 

1 hour ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Well we definitely wouldn't claim him if we did waive him lol but ya I get it. I just don't know the exact rules of IR and how it works. Like does a player have to be injured? Would there be a reason for a player like Ricks to not want to be on IR outside of being unable to play? It would be perfect if the Eagles could just throw him on IR now and stash him there for the year so we don't lose him, but I can't see how that would be allowed by the league lol.

Idk I am just not completely convinced Ricks is getting claimed if he is cut. Sure it is definitely a possibility.... but the guy was still a UDFA. If a team really thought super highly of him they could have drafted him and the only new tape of him is in preseason vs 2s and 3s. A lot of times I feel like teams will stick to their evaluations on guys, but maybe his play turned some heads. Will be interesting to see what happens for sure. Howie has done really well with UDFAs the past couple of years and Ricks is just another example of that.

Ricks has graded out, iirc, as the number 1 CB through the preseason. He covered both Pittman and Pierce against the Colts and he was good in coverage against both. I'm not certain if he would get claimed but I personally don't see a reason to chance it. 

• Like 1