Kyle Long to IR

chisoxguy7

For all of the talk our OL is still significantly better with him on the field even playing largely with one arm. If he can be even 90% of what he was 2 years ago after a full offseason to get his shoulder fully healthy then he’s gonna be just fine.

This isn’t a guy who keeps getting hurt - he played the whole season as an interior offensive lineman with a torn labrum, and was highly effective, after not being able to ever get better. People are anxious to toss dirt on his grave without really acknowledging how both noble and impressive that is. This isn’t a guy who’s trying to get paid - this is a guy who JUST got paid. That speaks volumes to his character and drive, and the lack of full recovery should not be the case going into 2018. 

Long's continued issues, and Sitton's age almost make me wonder if Quenton Nelson-OG  doesn't start becoming a very serious consideration for us. The guy has a ton of hype for an OG prospect as a "sure fire pro bowl level guard"....... 

Dude....even experts have kind of given up on Long...he was 25 when we drafted him, 29 now, Sitton 31.....both OG's often injured, essentially Whitehair was was one of their replacements before the move to C. I wouldnt say OG is a huge need this year because I would rather replace one of the OT's but its coming up for sure. Hopefully Long has one more season in him but we drafted an older player....that was always part of the risk when we took him.

17 minutes ago, MonserinNC said:

Dude....even experts have kind of given up on Long...he was 25 when we drafted him, 29 now, Sitton 31.....both OG's often injured, essentially Whitehair was was one of their replacements before the move to C. I wouldnt say OG is a huge need this year because I would rather replace one of the OT's but its coming up for sure. Hopefully Long has one more season in him but we drafted an older player....that was always part of the risk when we took him.

Are you talking about experts meaning scouts, or reporters? Because only one of those is an expert. Regarding reporters I always take everything with a grain of salt - the same guys who have been railing all week that we shouldn’t have cut Gould were calling for his head in the preseason before he was cut and even during the late season the year before. Their job is to drive conversation, sell papers and generate page clicks. Being right or even having half a clue what they’re talking about is very much secondary. 

Age 29 for a guard is like 4-5 years from the typical wall. Top guys play guard into their mid-30s consistently. I’m not saying he isn’t going down hill going forward but it’s certainly not anything close to a given or even necessarily a likelihood. 

1 hour ago, Epyon said:

Long's continued issues, and Sitton's age almost make me wonder if Quenton Nelson-OG  doesn't start becoming a very serious consideration for us. The guy has a ton of hype for an OG prospect as a "sure fire pro bowl level guard"....... 

You can't pick an OG at 2 or 3.

4 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Are you talking about experts meaning scouts, or reporters? Because only one of those is an expert. Regarding reporters I always take everything with a grain of salt - the same guys who have been railing all week that we shouldn’t have cut Gould were calling for his head in the preseason before he was cut and even during the late season the year before. Their job is to drive conversation, sell papers and generate page clicks. Being right or even having half a clue what they’re talking about is very much secondary. 

Age 29 for a guard is like 4-5 years from the typical wall. Top guys play guard into their mid-30s consistently. I’m not saying he isn’t going down hill going forward but it’s certainly not anything close to a given or even necessarily a likelihood. 

Haha dude I actually hope your right....just saying, both OG's are no slam dunks....I actually do trust both for next year which is which is why I want an OT

31 minutes ago, MonserinNC said:

Haha dude I actually hope your right....just saying, both OG's are no slam dunks....I actually do trust both for next year which is which is why I want an OT

I want a developmental OT to replace Massie, because we don’t have that guy on the roster. We have far bigger problems than RT IMO. That’s a second-tier issue. We have almost no skill position players on either side of the ball. That’s my focus at the top of the draft and in FA. 

Archived