2023-24 College Football Prospect Watch

KingTitan

3 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Some are saying that there are still great OTs outside of those 2. 

Be nice to get a really good OT still by trading down to about 9-10. Picking up a 3rd. 

I've been thinking lately about a scenario in which Saints, from 14th, I think, might wanna jump in front of Atlanta and pick one of the top 3-4 QBs. Presumably Daniels, if he falls, according to where he's being mocked now, or who knows, maybe McCarthy. 

I'm comfortable we'd be adding more than a 3rd, and still be in range for a solid player. I've said it before I love Mims. Even if it's not going to be him, and both Fashanu and Alt are off the board by then, I wouldn't rule out one of the top pass rushers who, for some reason, people seem to completely overlook. Luatu, Verse and Turner are all intriguing prospects.

1 hour ago, Andrei01 said:

I've been thinking lately about a scenario in which Saints, from 14th, I think, might wanna jump in front of Atlanta and pick one of the top 3-4 QBs. Presumably Daniels, if he falls, according to where he's being mocked now, or who knows, maybe McCarthy. 

I'm comfortable we'd be adding more than a 3rd, and still be in range for a solid player. I've said it before I love Mims. Even if it's not going to be him, and both Fashanu and Alt are off the board by then, I wouldn't rule out one of the top pass rushers who, for some reason, people seem to completely overlook. Luatu, Verse and Turner are all intriguing prospects.

Honestly a trade down to still be in range of a tackle is ideal. I’d rather have, say, Mims, Legette, and Van Pran than Alt and like, Burton.

A decent trade down should give us the capital to move back up for a receiver as well, if one is close and we need to move up a bit.

But also, just having more picks in the first three rounds to add another weapon, OL, or even CB before we are in the depth section of the draft would be huge.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2024 at 11:36 AM, Andrei01 said:

The 5th year option could match the franchise tag value, and if not, it's likely still closer than the difference in contract value between late 1st round pick and early 2nd round. I'd argue Justin Jefferson is pretty happy making close to 20M next year, having already made roughly 5 million more than the 33rd overall pick that year, Tee Higgins.

Justin Jefferson MUCH rather be would rather be going to the open market this year than have to see the 5th year option THEN two potential seasons of the franchise tag. Tee might get the franchise tag too, but he's still a step closer to the open market and a long term than JJ is. The 1st round contract give the team more contractual control over the player.  

This is also why AJ Brown got traded when he did. If AJ was a 1st rounder, they would have just picked up his option and pushed the issue to the next year. Instead they had to deal with AJ going into a contract year and chose to trade him.

Also the franchise tag will continue to rise in value. The 5th year option is stagnant. 

11 hours ago, Chocolateman78 said:

Justin Jefferson MUCH rather be would rather be going to the open market this year than have to see the 5th year option THEN two potential seasons of the franchise tag. Tee might get the franchise tag too, but he's still a step closer to the open market and a long term than JJ is. The 1st round contract give the team more contractual control over the player.  

This is also why AJ Brown got traded when he did. If AJ was a 1st rounder, they would have just picked up his option and pushed the issue to the next year. Instead they had to deal with AJ going into a contract year and chose to trade him.

Also the franchise tag will continue to rise in value. The 5th year option is stagnant. 

For players making Pro Bowls, that option is worth franchise tag money, as is the case for Jefferson. So as tags continue to rise in value, so do 5th year options, by default.

Brown got traded because he virtually requested so, star players hold that card if they are unhappy with their situation or contract negotiations.

I doubt any player, ever, would prefer not to be drafted in the 1st round.

2 hours ago, Andrei01 said:

For players making Pro Bowls, that option is worth franchise tag money, as is the case for Jefferson. So as tags continue to rise in value, so do 5th year options, by default.

Brown got traded because he virtually requested so, star players hold that card if they are unhappy with their situation or contract negotiations.

I doubt any player, ever, would prefer not to be drafted in the 1st round.

They all want to be first rounders.

Remember last year Porter Jr. was crying because he didn’t get picked in the first and his dad had to give him that pep talk and tell him he wasn’t disappointing anyone?

Being a first round pick is a big point of pride.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Remember last year Porter Jr. was crying because he didn’t get picked in the first and his dad had to give him that pep talk and tell him he wasn’t disappointing anyone?

you don’t even have to go to the Steelers. just look at will levis! lol

On 1/20/2024 at 11:53 AM, Daniel said:

Pride is one thing... I'm talking about finances

Being a 1st rounder has its benefits for sure, but the situation I'm talking about is being the 28th-32nd pick vs being the 33rd to 40th pick. The money is better in the first round, but the ability for good players to get to the open market as fast as possible should be a priority. Look owners put the 5th year option in the CBA for a reason, they want more contractual control over the premium players in the draft. 

If Egbuka becomes a top 10 pick next year then awesome, but if he was gonna be a top 50 pick this year (no guarantee of that) and he improves his stock to say the late 1st. All he's done is delayed a chance at the open market by two years if he's really good in the NFL.

• Like 1

Just now, 615finest said:

With Callahan I wonder if our draft strategy changes. We saw Cincy take Chase over Sewell when they desperately needed line help. I wonder if we could do something similar if Nabers is available or even Odunze

I think FA will give us that answer.

1 hour ago, 615finest said:

With Callahan I wonder if our draft strategy changes. We saw Cincy take Chase over Sewell when they desperately needed line help. I wonder if we could do something similar if Nabers is available or even Odunze

And now with Burrow injured and Sewell dominating for the Lions, it's looking like maybe conventional wisdom was the right answer there.

I don't know if we know Ran's draft strategy yet.  He's just had the one, and it certainly appears that Vrabel had some say in it.

10 minutes ago, Daniel said:

And now with Burrow injured and Sewell dominating for the Lions, it's looking like maybe conventional wisdom was the right answer there.

I don't know if we know Ran's draft strategy yet.  He's just had the one, and it certainly appears that Vrabel had some say in it.

If we came out of this draft with Alt and Van Pran or Jackson PJ I would be out of this world happy.

4 minutes ago, twotonebluenation said:

If we came out of this draft with Alt and Van Pran or Jackson PJ I would be out of this world happy.

That'd be great and all, but I would really hate to not spend that second pick on a weapon.

14 minutes ago, Daniel said:

knowing MHJ will be gone, nabers is really the only guy where if he's available next to the OTs i'd reeeeally think about what i wanted to do. i like odunze, but he's not in that truly special, game-changing type tier for me and i'd take alt/olu over him without question. but nabers....man. one of the results of this team steadfastly refusing to enter the 21st century is that we've quite literally never had anyone like him. i'd be so tempted.

Just now, -Hope- said:

knowing MHJ will be gone, nabers is really the only guy where if he's available next to the OTs i'd reeeeally think about what i wanted to do. i like odunze, but he's not in that truly special, game-changing type tier for me and i'd take alt/olu over him without question. but nabers....man. one of the results of this team steadfastly refusing to enter the 21st century is that we've quite literally never had anyone like him. i'd be so tempted.

We sign Onwenu, then maybe, but man, I just think taking Nabers without a tackle is just preparing us to see Levis clobbered and injured again.  Sucks to maybe miss out on such a talent, but Levis can't throw to anyone with a broken ankle.

The way I see it, I'd rather have Alt/Mitchell than Nabers/Morgan as the two we get out of those rounds.  But, hopefully Nabers never gets to us so we don't have to make the decision.  Tackle is boring, but I think it's infinitely more important to the short and long term benefit of this team.

I also think Alt is pretty close to Nabers in terms of prospect quality, but I've been on Alt since 22.

• Like 1