2024 Draft

Ftn49

3 hours ago, oldman9er said:

I don't have any trust in the CBs not named Ward and Lenoir. That will and can only come down to what they're showing week to week for the coaches. 

So on a blinded fan basis, this is why I'd be good with a CB as an early pick. 

Of course for me, early rd OL x2 is a pound the table desire. 

We'll have to see what happens with our DC. I'm not convinced yet that upgrading edge rushers will matter, if we are just allowing easy coverage underneath all day. 

a good TE 2+3 falls in line with the CB philosophy. Only the coaches can judge what they are seeing of the backups week to week. 

We should be good with our top WRs of 11, 19, and 15 as the top 3 next season. Not at all sold on the rest.

I'm good with McCaf and Cajun and Mason. Add in a later rd guy to push. 

Time to find another day 3 gem QB? Need another S in case HUF recovers poorly?

I think our CBs are fine & that's not fan speak.

I like the developmental trend we've seen over the years.

Unhearlded, lowly drafted or undrafted guys E-Man, K-Williams & now Lenoir come here and make a name for themselves

I don't think that has to end. 

I really like Luter's potential on the outside.

Womack has great potential in the slot if he can just up his phayicaiity & willingness in the run game.

Even if you disregard Thomas, who outside of a massive leap in his play next season probably doesn't get re-signed, that's a good core of four imo.

It takes time and development to really hit your stride as a CB in this defense. I don't see a plug and play CB in this current class. 

IMO, it makes more sense to go CB in the middle rounds, where we seem to have a track record of finding gems. 

I want the premium picks to go to the guys who will be responsible for keeping Purdy upright and getting the opposing QB on the ground.

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Forge said:

Man, if Mims can get some more juice in the run game, I dig the profile. Usually tall guys struggle with leverage on the ground in return for pass protection. But Mims has the sheer mass to crunch people on down blocks. And he’s in great shape, so he is hilarious when he picks off dbs and such at the second level. But he’s got the OT version of the Trey Lance problem. He’s barely played football at the level he’s at. And he is really tentative handling some normal run blocking assignments.

Edited by JIllg
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, JIllg said:

Man, if Mims can get some more juice in the run game, I dig the profile. Usually tall guys struggle with leverage on the ground in return for pass protection. But Mims has the sheer mass to crunch people on down blocks. And he’s in great shape, so he is hilarious when he picks off dbs and such at the second level. But he’s got the OT version of the Trey Lance problem. He’s barely played football at the level he’s at. And he is really tentative handling some normal run blocking assignments.

TBF, he's practiced against the toughest team in the land day in day out for his 3 years at UGA. Guys at Bama since Saban and UGA since Kirby have routinely expressed that sentiment. The part I worry about with Mims is the off the field stuff and not legal issues but UGA insiders have expressed the thought that he would fair better with smaller market teams just so he doesn't have all the distractions while he matures.

As far as which OT I'd prefer, give me one of the elite athletically profiled ones and let him learn from the silverback while he is there.

1 minute ago, Ftn49 said:

TBF, he's practiced against the toughest team in the land day in day out for his 3 years at UGA. Guys at Bama since Saban and UGA since Kirby have routinely expressed that sentiment. The part I worry about with Mims is the off the field stuff and not legal issues but UGA insiders have expressed the thought that he would fair better with smaller market teams just so he doesn't have all the distractions while he matures.

As far as which OT I'd prefer, give me one of the elite athletically profiled ones and let him learn from the silverback while he is there.

I mean, I get that the practice helps, but if you are getting that practice and you are a crazy 6'7" 350 pound man mountain that moves, I want to see you go get guys on down blocks and reach blocks on the rare chance that you have them in reality (because, again, you played like 12 actual college football games). You should have everything in your favor in making that happen. I still like Mims better to make those eventually than guys like Guyton or Paul or Suamataia. Those dudes all look to me like pretty good pass protectors with very little running game upside. The sort that most teams like to have as their #2 tackle, but we won't sniff at imo.

Side note unrelated to this line of reasoning, but it matters to the context for the rest of the team - a huge reason that we are seeing more problems for Brock as the season goes on is that this offensive line is our worst at both pass protection and run blocking since like Kyle's third season. The run blocking would force teams out of lighter more versatile personnel and 2 deep more fluid defensive schematics. It would punish complicated blitzes with simplicity. This offensive line has seen the best looks for running since Kyle's gotten here because of the pressure Brock puts on down the field. And they've done pretty well. They do grade out by just about everyone as top ten run blocking unit. But they ain't the competitive advantage we're used to having. And they aren't even at the bottom end of playoff standards for pass protection.

In the regular season, this would lead to some mild mismatches in pass protection that we would kill with our monster advantages in the routes + qb versus coverage game. And it would lead to mild mismatches our way in run blocking.

In the postseason and against quality defenses, it leads to very bad mismatches in pass protection and an even or slightly worse matchup in the running game while we have a solid mismatch (to a draw in the case of Baltimore) in terms of routes + qb versus coverage. So the passing game looks super volatile - either we escape the crazy pressure and get kills or we get stomped up front and have Brock try to make a wacky play or get sacked.

Long story short - get a better offensive line. And focus on run blocking with average pass protection if you are going to do Kyle things.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Forge said:

Dear Lord, Lance Zierlein had us taking Ja'tavion Sanders in the first round

I mean first of all, I’d rather just have Braden Willis try to learn to block. I guess some folks have said they liked Sanders’ blocking tape more than they expected, so I don’t know. Haven’t watched early TE tape because obviously we have important issues in areas of depth in the draft.

• Like 1

Mike Renner just compared Luke McCaffery to Jauan Jennings on the podcast, giving someone else with eyes that sees things like I do.

Do it, 49ers. You know you want to. This fits both valuewise and skillset-wise more than Rice does.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, JIllg said:

Mike Renner just compared Luke McCaffery to Jauan Jennings on the podcast, giving someone else with eyes that sees things like I do.

Do it, 49ers. You know you want to. This fits both valuewise and skillset-wise more than Rice does.

What podcast is Mike Renner on now? That dude has had an absolutely rough go of it for like the last year. 

Just now, Forge said:

What podcast is Mike Renner on now? That dude has had an absolutely rough go of it for like the last year. 

I honestly like his takes and draft board better than most - folks without as much care for college performance data often overrate the traits guys (for my eyes) and Trevor and Connor that took over the PFF stuff just sort of lack the eye for critical details that I think Mike has. Anyhow, Mike was with the Messenger and now he is unemployed according to the latest podcast. Someone's ponying up. He's too valuable.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JIllg said:

His Senior Bowl showing was a small sample size (2 catches, 1 punt return) but I certainly noticed and was impressed. 

1 minute ago, JIllg said:

I honestly like his takes and draft board better than most - folks without as much care for college performance data often overrate the traits guys (for my eyes) and Trevor and Connor that took over the PFF stuff just sort of lack the eye for critical details that I think Mike has. Anyhow, Mike was with the Messenger and now he is unemployed according to the latest podcast. Someone's ponying up. He's too valuable.

Yeah, the messenger closed down last week after running out of money. And that was after losing his job at PFF last year (I'm assuming that it was due to PFF's own cratering market share) 

• Like 1

Now, Luke could stand to gain 5-10 pounds of muscle for the full Jauan role. He's got the want to and the eye for YAC, but he just doesn't have the density to go through as many guys as you'd like. And the mass would help him with the perimeter blocking, which is the other main role of the bigger WR on the roster. And he's pretty quick and could give up (many) steps and still perform Jauan's role given that Jauan and Nick Bosa have similar 40s lol.

• Like 1

Trevor Sikkema had us go Jordan Morgan in round 1 and Jarvis Brownlee in round 2. That man just can't quit on giving us a corner lol 

Random cardinals SI writer mock had us taking Morgan in round 1, Javon Bullard in round 2. 

I'll be honest, wouldn't completely hate the Bullard pick even though that's a growth year pick imo. 

That's the kind of pick you make because you know that Huf is going to leave and you're going to move Brown into that spot and then start Bullard. But Bullard is pretty small and I'm not sure I would want to chance him holding up over entire seasons either.