2024 Draft

Ftn49

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Don't rate him that highly? 

He's just tall and thin and struggles with power and pushing people on down blocks. He's a jumbo TE, basically. Watching Jared Verse go Hulk mode and toss him around was instructive (tbf, Verse just kind of does that to folks). So, Barton's super fluid in the open field getting guys (thus I like him at center). But I struggle to see a center convert in the first round (that hasn't played center in a while). Barton has played guard, center, and tackle in college - the versatility is nice. He does have a lot of experience. But I just want more sure things that project to more important positions. But I guess some folks like him more at tackle than I do.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JIllg said:

He's just tall and thin and struggles with power and pushing people on down blocks. He's a jumbo TE, basically. Watching Jared Verse go Hulk mode and toss him around was instructive (tbf, Verse just kind of does that to folks). So, Barton's super fluid in the open field getting guys (thus I like him at center). But I struggle to see a center convert in the first round (that hasn't played center in a while). Barton has played guard, center, and tackle in college - the versatility is nice. He does have a lot of experience. But I just want more sure things that project to more important positions. But I guess some folks like him more at tackle than I do.

Think Daniel Brunskill with a bit more physicality and maybe more upside at center. Useful player. I'm not interested in the first round and am not excited in the second.

I feel that Kyle prefers a top Center over Guard play, which makes me think if we can’t get JPJ (Oregon) we will go OT or DLine. 

Not saying we won’t get a Guard but not in the first. 

2 minutes ago, StevenK said:

I feel that Kyle prefers a top Center over Guard play, which makes me think if we can’t get JPJ (Oregon) we will go OT or DLine. 

Barton is seen as a Center / Guard at the next level. 

Center may actually be his best fit. 

• Like 1

If you're going to give me a choice between taking Barton in the first or Haynes in the second, think I'll just take the latter. Haynes doesn't really come with the versatility, but ton of experience at RG and I think there's a good chance that he would just be a better guard than Barton. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

If you're going to give me a choice between taking Barton in the first or Haynes in the second, think I'll just take the latter. Haynes doesn't really come with the versatility, but ton of experience at RG and I think there's a good chance that he would just be a better guard than Barton. 

Both do some really fun stuff in space, but Haynes is the a shorter guy with longer arms (another reason Barton isn't a tackle IMO - he's got <33 in arms). Because of this, Haynes is more dense, has better leverage, and can handle long-arms better (again, because Haynes has 34 in arms). Haynes has looked like one of the best potential pass protectors at the Senior Bowl and stones power well for a lighter guy. I think he's going to test like the more impressive athlete (although both guys can move). My only concern with Hayes is handling stunts and blitzes and such because I don't have much tape of that for him. I think that he'll need a little seasoning having come from a really simplistic and lower level offense in Connecticut. But I reiterate that he's the guy I like the best as a pure guard in the draft.

Edited by JIllg
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, StevenK said:

I think we go the FA route for center and grab someone like Cushenberry. Shanny wants to win and win now. He's always been shy at playing rookies early so I think a FA makes sense and then grab a Tackle that will a long-term play.

https://theathletic.com/5264352/2024/02/19/kiran-amegadjie-yale-nfl-draft-2024/?campaign=5888993&source=dailyemail&userId=5224790

Anyone have opinions on this guy? Could he switch to RT? I know nothing other than this nice article about him

From a scouting report..

His strengths, notably his raw power and elite athleticism, are foundational traits that can be further honed with NFL-level coaching. However, concerns about his technical refinement, particularly in pass protection, must be addressed to fully unlock his potential. As teams evaluate Amegadjie, the balance between his immediate impact and long-term development will be crucial. Given his proven adaptability and physical upside, he presents a risk-reward scenario that could pay significant dividends.

Edited by adamq

4 hours ago, Forge said:

If you were to trade Deebo, reaching on Corley makes a ton of sense lol 

Corley is the most Deebo guy around. It would be quite sensible, especially given that you need a RayRay roster spot replacement in the short term. 

4 hours ago, Forge said:

Also, Malik got thrown a ton of screens behind UVA blocking. Guy broke a crazy amount of tackles per reception. Sometimes YAC v ADoT don't cover the difficulty of the YAC imo

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Forge said:

I will say that if the niners aren't out on lighter receivers after Danny Gray and Dante Pettis, Tahj Washington is interesting as the vertical threat guy they've chased in the past to be the Taylor Gabriel type. Could take that RayRay spot and be a real asset. I like Tahj a lot, he's just very light and I worry about that for us specifically. We kind of like guys to be physically strong and tough outside, even from the slot. I talk about Malik Washington a ton, but he's jacked and mean and can go fight some folks a bit as a blocker if necessary. Tahj ain't doing that.

18 hours ago, JIllg said:

Also, Malik got thrown a ton of screens behind UVA blocking. Guy broke a crazy amount of tackles per reception. Sometimes YAC v ADoT don't cover the difficulty of the YAC imo

Malik > Corley for me.

Homerism aside, Malik's tape is just more impressive to me.

And he did it in an offense with a more pro-like route tree/passing concepts.

He had a 5'11 true freshman throwing him the ball for a majority of the year (kid's going to be Brock 2.0, remember the name Anthony Colandrea). His numbers would have been even better with an established QB behind center.

I don't think he'll time all that great and I really don't care.

In space, he looks and plays with a more Deeob-like temperament than Corley, for my money.

Edited by 757-NINER

8 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Malik > Corley for me.

Homerism aside, Malik's tape is just more impressive to me.

And he did in an offensive with a pro-style route tree/passing concepts.

He had 5'11 true freshman throwing him the ball for a majority of the year (kid's going to be Brock 2.0, remember the name Anthony Colandrea). His numbers would have been even better with an established QB behind center.

I don't think he'll time all that great and I really don't care.

In space, he looks and plays with a more Deeob-like temperament than Corley, for my money.

Malik's a better receiver than Corley. Feels zone holes well. Is good at the catch point for anyone, much less a 5'9" guy. Tough over the middle of the field. Very fluid route runner. I think right away, he can contribute as a receiver. Corley's going to need to just do gadget things for a while. Malik might be more of an Aiyuk replacement than a Deebo one? I think he's going to run ~4.45, which is fine for what you are doing with him. He's going to have a crazy shuttle and 3 cone and probably 10 yd split. And he's strong as hell for anyone. The size+density thing makes him freaking annoying to go down and get. It's like trying to tackle a bowling ball.

Now, Corley can handle a couple of things Malik can't. Shanahan likes to use Deebo as a thumping finisher on man blocking power plays and sweeps. Malik can play some running back for you, but he just isn't big enough for that. Corley is.

I'm much higher on Malik, though, overall. I think he can be more useful right away and I think that the upside is that he could be one of these 3rd and 4th round guys that floats around the all pro list some years that some folks are confused by when he literally had over a 100 receptions and 1400 yards at UVA, where life ain't easy for receivers.

Edited by JIllg
  • Like 1