2024 Draft

Ftn49

8 minutes ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

I am going to start to watch college guys this week.  Anyone have any good guide to the Offensive linemen.  I am going to start there. 

So, if you are asking for a list of guys to look at to get an idea of how you feel about them, the folks I'd expect us to be choosing between depending on availability are Guyton, Morgan, Suamataia, Barton, and Latham and if I was a betting man I'd put my money on Morgan for all of availability, meeting the 9ers theoretical requirements, and known points of contact.

If you are looking for scouting reports, I'm sure folks around here can arrange that too, lol.

5 minutes ago, JIllg said:

So, if you are asking for a list of guys to look at to get an idea of how you feel about them, the folks I'd expect us to be choosing between depending on availability are Guyton, Morgan, Suamataia, Barton, and Latham and if I was a betting man I'd put my money on Morgan for all of availability, meeting the 9ers theoretical requirements, and known points of contact.

If you are looking for scouting reports, I'm sure folks around here can arrange that too, lol.

I like to get as much of an independent feel for the player, then read the scouting reports.  I generally work by position group, starting with the top guys and working my way down. I think I am going to write down my notes this year.  

• Like 1

Just now, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

I like to get as much of an independent feel for the player, then read the scouting reports.  I generally work by position group, starting with the top guys and working my way down. I think I am going to write down my notes this year.  

Well, I'd say the first round to early tiers are:

Joe Alt is the consensus best guy.

Then pick your poison on Taliese Fuaga/JC Latham/Olu Fashanu/Troy Fautanu as the most productive players after Alt with upside.

Then Darius Mims/Tyler Guyton/Kingsley Suamataia as pure upside plays - these could climb higher than the previous 3 depending on how you see the upside.

And Graham Barton/Jordan Morgan as the most experienced guys.

• Like 2

I just did a full 7-round mock on PFF here's how I did:

2.35 (via AZ): Mike Sanristil, NCB

2.63: Christian Haynes, G

3.84 (via PIT): Malik Washington, WR

3.94: Mason McCormick, C

4.132: Will Shipley, RB

5.176: Erick All, TE

6.211: Luke McCaffrey, WR

6.215: Brandon Coleman, T

7.251: Kaden Slovis, QB

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

I just did a full 7-round mock on PFF here's how I did:

2.35 (via AZ): Mike Sanristil, NCB

2.63: Christian Haynes, G

3.84 (via PIT): Malik Washington, WR

3.94: Mason McCormick, C

4.132: Will Shipley, RB

5.176: Erick All, TE

6.211: Luke McCaffrey, WR

6.215: Brandon Coleman, T

7.251: Kaden Slovis, QB

I like the cut of your jib.

10 minutes ago, JIllg said:

I like the cut of your jib.

The bottom of the draft really fell out from under me. I didn't want to take a second WR and had no intentions of only taking one defensive player, but dang lol. There's just nothing there that interested me. 

Hey, I'm sold by the first 6 picks. I dig Will Shipley, for one guy that I haven't talked about a lot yet. Of the receiving back guys, he's one of the few with the toughness to threaten as a runner and (mostly) hold up in pass protection. Could do a fine CMC-lite imitation. Several of the others are among my favorite players in the class. And I could definitely see them taking Slovis and Coleman, even though I don't care for them, lol.

I think I don't like cornerback in the first couple of rounds. I pushed back on it hard for a while, then became more amenable to it, but after doing this forum draft I just don't like the result. I also think that corners is a very hard position to transition to, so I think I'd rather gamble on a need position I feel more comfortable being able to make an impact immediately, even in a rotational role. 

I'm going to do another forum draft and I think this time I'm going to go another direction other than corner early on.  

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think I don't like cornerback in the first couple of rounds. I pushed back on it hard for a while, then became more amenable to it, but after doing this forum draft I just don't like the result. I also think that corners is a very hard position to transition to, so I think I'd rather gamble on a need position I feel more comfortable being able to make an impact immediately, even in a rotational role. 

I'm going to do another forum draft and I think this time I'm going to go another direction other than corner early on.  

I also think that for players that aren't #1 corner guys that can mirror with anyone in man, the value just isn't super different between the more highly drafted players and those taken early on. I actually think that our roster construction with Charvarius and a bunch of inexpensive guys is just about exactly how you want to build that room for maximum resource efficiency.

2 hours ago, Forge said:

I have to imagine it's mostly a size thing for washington. The play speaks for itself, but for so many teams, size still matters. So many teams have thresholds. The receivers coming out are getting smaller and smaller though. Tank Dell was a monster last year, but I don't think the league is ready to turn that page. Washington, Cowing....in ten years, they both may be top 50 picks. I think for now, the league still worries. 

The fact that Corley blocks well in the run and screen game is probably a bigger positive for Corley than anything you just listed for Washington in Shanny's eyes, tbh lol. 

It is funny that the other day I was considering Corley when listening to PFF and they were talking about the comps being out of control, and I thought to myself, "what if Corley is just Amari Rodgers" 

Oh, Tank Dell was my favorite WR in last year's draft. Watched some Texans game just because of him. Hopefully, he will be all the way back sooner rather than later. 

I don’t know how I feel about the rumor that Rosengarten is rising on draft boards, hopefully not ours?! If it happens, what’s the thought process? Clearly one of the top guys had to be taken already 

1. Alt

2. Fashanu 

3. Fautanu 

4. Fauga 

5. Latham

6. Mims 

7. JPJ

8. Guyton/Morgan/Barton/Frazier 

^ those have to be considered the go to guys at Oline, not necessarily in that order, but where would Rosengarten fall? 

Edited by StevenK
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, StevenK said:

Depending on how the board plays out, I wouldn’t mind 

Really enjoy his game. Michael Gallup is still the guy that comes to mind? Not a lot of physical juice, but such good variety of releases and skill at the catch point. May have been how they used him, but I'd want to see more YAC for any team, not just us. I'm interested in them bringing him in - he's a bit similar to Brendan Rice and I wouldn't have pegged our interest in either player. I'd have expected more Xavier Lagettes and such. But tastes can change. 

I've been looking at Tracy since you took him in the mock @forge and this kid could turn into a nice player.

Severely underutilized by an incompetent Iowa offensive staff, you have to wonder what he could have done in college if not stuck in Iowa City for 4 years. Very small sample size at running back but he could carve out a role as a pretty versatile weapon

MTF-x-YACO-2024.png

Screenshot-20240329-125927.jpg

9.59 RAS as a WR fwiw

Edited by adamq
  • Like 1