1.27(via AZ): Troy Fautanu, RT

2.63: Christian Haynes, RG

3.94 Calen Bullock, FS

4.124: Chau Smith-Wade, CB

4.135: Will Shipley, RB

5.176: Luke McCaffrey, WR

6.215: Hunter Nourzad, C

7.251: Kedon Slovis, QB

Fautanu falling was a gift from God. I had to go up and get him. I wanted a WR and CB in the 2nd or 3rd, but they all were taken really early. PFF gave my class an A-.

Edited by NinerNation21
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, adamq said:

https://www.49erswebzone.com/news/amp-178840/

they keep a running list of official visits, and if the Niners are "showing interest" in others. Dejean for example, based on this tweet

Wonder if he could fall. I’ve seen some ppl saying they are concerned about his injuries and “true position.”

I imagine he would fit our Jimmy Ward type role if we were to get him. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, StevenK said:

Wonder if he could fall. I’ve seen some ppl saying they are concerned about his injuries and “true position.”

I imagine he would fit our Jimmy Ward type role if we were to get him. 

I don't take much stock into what he says, but I listened to the Chris Simms show & both he and Devin McCourtey flatly said he can not be a full time, outside press corner. Said he could not hold up in man coverage in the NFL, probably a safety.

Seems to be a somewhat polarizing player, I do not think he lasts til 31... even as a safety he is a first rounder IMO

• Like 1

I think I just saw the worst mock draft so far from Field Yates. He has us trading up in the 1st with the Cowboys to take Amarius Mims and then taking TE, Theo Johnson in the 2nd while also acknowledging that the 49ers are signing Brock Wright. 

This would be a really bad start to the draft if this were to happen. 

7 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

I think I just saw the worst mock draft so far from Field Yates. He has us trading up in the 1st with the Cowboys to take Amarius Mims and then taking TE, Theo Johnson in the 2nd while also acknowledging that the 49ers are signing Brock Wright. 

Bleh. Theo Johnson is not the combine stat guy to go after imo. Just no lateral wiggle whatsoever. He can threaten seams for you and will probably block edges well enough with a bit of teaching, but I think you are getting a Cole Kmet type with a touch of upside. So much of tight end value is beating guys with side-to-side wiggle on option routes against man or turning flats and crossers into major plays occasionally. Don't see Theo doing either.

I prefer Tanner McLachlan and Erick All as physical upside plays because they have the fluidity of top NFL players and because they have so little tape/so many injury concerns that you probably don't have to spend a premium assets acquiring them.

10 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Trading up for Mims makes sense

Theo Johnson makes more sense if Detroit matches, but I don't think they will. I honestly am not a huge Theo fan

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Forge said:

Trading up for Mims makes sense

Theo Johnson makes more sense if Detroit matches, but I don't think they will. I honestly am not a huge Theo fan

I think the only Tackle I'm cool with taking in the 1st is Morgan. I just don't like Guyton and Mims as much. 

Fautanu and Barton are two guys I'd trade up for. 

So is the Brock Wright signing official yet? Today is the last day for Detroit to match, correct?

Btw, ZERO problem trading up a bit to get Mims. If you want a potential powerhouse at LT, then he may be that guy. 

If you want a legitimate tackle, then you kind of have to take one in the first round. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

I think the only Tackle I'm cool with taking in the 1st is Morgan. I just don't like Guyton and Mims as much. 

Fautanu and Barton are two guys I'd trade up for. 

Morgan is probably not a tackle at the next level if we are being honest....I'd definitely fail him there, but I think the percentages favor him ending up at guard. I think Barton has a less of a chance than Morgan does at sticking at tackle, tbh. 

Maybe both can make it work at RT, but would be outliers. 

I'm not a Mims guy, but he's a surefire tackle. Guyton should be as well. I think Latham should be a tackle, but I've heard more people talking about him at guard. 

44 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So is the Brock Wright signing official yet? Today is the last day for Detroit to match, correct?

Btw, ZERO problem trading up a bit to get Mims. If you want a potential powerhouse at LT, then he may be that guy. 

If you want a legitimate tackle, then you kind of have to take one in the first round. 

As far as I know, not official yet. I'm not sure what time Detroit has to, I'd assume it's something like 4pm ET or something. 

Any tackle that we draft at 31 either likely ends up as a career guard or has to sit a year (maybe interns at guard for a year). Without trading up, I feel reasonably sure that nobody is beating out McKivitz for the right tackle spot. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

As far as I know, not official yet. I'm not sure what time Detroit has to, I'd assume it's something like 4pm ET or something. 

Any tackle that we draft at 31 either likely ends up as a career guard or has to sit a year (maybe interns at guard for a year). Without trading up, I feel reasonably sure that nobody is beating out McKivitz for the right tackle spot. 

Yeah, so that's why I have no qualms about trading up some Mims...Who has potential to be the best or 2nd best OT of the draft. 

I think Morgan would be just fine at tackle but he can be a very good guard as well. If we are going to draft a tackle to be a guard, then just wait another round and take Beebe.

WR/CB/Edge in the first rd and guard in the second rd. 

This is a deep WR class and I think the chances are slim to none that we don't come away with one early in the draft. 

6 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yeah, so that's why I have no qualms about trading up some Mims...Who has potential to be the best or 2nd best OT of the draft. 

I think Morgan would be just fine at tackle but he can be a very good guard as well. If we are going to draft a tackle to be a guard, then just wait another round and take Beebe.

WR/CB/Edge in the first rd and guard in the second rd. 

This is a deep WR class and I think the chances are slim to none that we don't come away with one early in the draft. 

If I'm trading up (spending precious cost controlled assets to do so), I'd hope it is because someone both exciting and mostly predictable as a player that will really outperform their rookie contract falls. Fuaga is the main one - not only the main need fit and value fit, I'd argue that there hasn't been a better wide zone executing tackle in years.

I'd still do so for Laiatu Latu in spite of free agent additions although I know that this is impossible now from the team's standpoint. Edges and wide receivers that are awesome on a rookie contract are worth damn near qbs these days. The Micah Parsons + CeeDee Lamb rookie contracts are the driving force behind this iteration of the Cowboys. Same for the 2019 Niners and Bosa + Armistead + Buckner being on rookie deals. 

With Mims, you definitely get the physical upside of a top pick and he was more polished in limited snaps at a higher level of competition than Suamataia or Amegadjie or whatever, but there's risk in a guy that's been that unavailable and has that little experience. Plus, he's a mediocre player in college as a run blocker. I'd rather live with that risk (or accept different risk) later on and while not paying for it with other assets.

• Like 3

As I much I would like to get Fantanu, I think his stock has been rising since the combine when his measurables essentially assured him of playing anywhere on the oline. I think Mims goes to Miami, but I personally think if we want any of the top guys, we have to jump into the teens. 

I really wonder if Fauaga will fall? Doubtful but I agree, he is probably my choice of Tackle minus Fantanu who can play anywhere. 

• Like 1

Finished the forum mock. I was fine until we hit the 4th round. I hated how that round played out. Absolute disaster. Have to trade up from that late 4th because man oh man was there a talent crater when all my guys went off the board. 

1) Jordan Morgan, OT / OG  - made a small trade down, flipped up to the top of the third. 

2) TJ Tampa, Corner (outside) - made a small trade up for a fifth. I had a big cliff on the corner market here and decided if I wanted a quality corner, I probably had to nab him here. 

3) Ruke Orhorhoro, DT - I think it's important to add some youth to the DT corp and I'm a fairly big Ruke fan. Good size, athletic...I think he's probably got a more versatile skillset to be worthwhile at the NFL level compared to guys like Dorlus or Hall.  Ultimately, this was probably a misstep just based on the way the board played out. Probably should have gone interior line or wide receiver, tbh. Gave serious thought to Blake Fisher. There were a couple of undersized 3T DTs that I could have made a move for (notably Dorlus) at the bottom of 3, top of 4 had I not taken Ruke and got aggressive in the trade up. 

4) Erick All, TE- This is the round that I hated. All the guys I had targeted really started to go in like the 15 picks leading up to mine. My laziness in not moving up really hurt here. I missed Sinnott by like 5 picks or whatever. At this point TE was not a great spot. All provides really good TE2 chances, but injury history sucks here. 

5) Tykee Smith, Nickel / S - I don't mind this here, but I don't know if I would have targeted him if guys I was really interested in were available. This was in the BPA type category .

6) Tyrone Tracey, RB - Okay, I like this pick. I don't hide that I really like Tracey, who is a top 5 rb in this class for me (okay, #5, but still counts). 

7) Bub Means, WR - Small trade up here. The WR class was completely decimated by round 4 unless I wanted to go with some undersized targets. I am kind of intrigued by Means who is a converted DB. Huge hands, solid athlete, good size. The traits are good enough, but the production is not quite there. Obviously Pitt had some QB issues last year.  Not really a broken tackle guy

8 - Javontae Jean Baptiste, EDGE - Just gambling on some traits here. He had a nice season this year, but he barely made a dent for 4 years at OSU. He's underweight (sub 240 at combine) so at best right now he projects as maybe a rotational pass rusher. 

• Like 3

We have a new forum mock going on. Wanted to go a different direction this time. 

Nobody I really, really loved at 31. No Newton available this time :(

Did the same thing as last time and made a very small trade down (this time even smaller as I swapped with NE and we swapped 4th round picks). Passed up Suamataia (Chiefs took him at 32) and then I passed on Jordan Morgan at 34. 

Instead I took the Kool Aid man...wanted to see how it turns out. 

• Like 1