Chiefs re-work final year for DT Chris Jones; Will report to team

RaidersAreOne

5 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

He’s one of if not the best. It’s just a lot for an OG. It’d be nice if they extended him a year or two so they could spread it out a bit.

Wouldn’t be too shocked if they did.   He seems happy here and always willing to work with the FO.    We can always make it up in other places also.   I’m not too concerned about overpaying a guy who’s producing, if we’re drafting well.  We’re gonna make the money back easy at other spots.    The Taylor deal is honestly the one that makes me angry, but I’m hoping I get forced to change my tune on that one 

4 hours ago, Chiefer said:

I’m assuming he’s not really gonna be cuttable either?

he’s a good guard, but that’s one expensive contract they signed him too

This makes him more or less uncuttable next year. Only slightly changes what would happen if we cut him in 2 years. Shifts the dead money from like $7M up to $11M. Not sure that would change the decision either way.

3 hours ago, RedGold said:

Thuney is the 3rd best player on the offense,  yet people say he’s overpaid.     I would honestly hate to see what the OL looks without him. 

He’s a guard, we’d be passable with Allegretti in there honestly. We run bad linemen out there all the time, and Allegretti is at least solid 

So, this is interesting. Not a substantial amount of dead cap, well worth it for the season, but this is an interesting move to me because we, as a team, have not done this before. We're one of the few teams that have continued to shy away from void year deals. Aside from the Frank Clark contract, we've always been crazy low in dead money since the early Veach years where we had to pay retroactively for Berry and Charles and Houston and them. But this is the only thing on the books now for us that has void years. Might just be a we had no choice kind of situation, but it is an interesting change in precedent to me.

14 hours ago, Chiefer said:

He’s a guard, we’d be passable with Allegretti in there honestly. We run bad linemen out there all the time, and Allegretti is at least solid 

Interior protection is likely more important with Mahomes than OT.  Yeah,  just disagree Thuney is overpaid.   He’s more than earned his contract,  

1 hour ago, RedGold said:

Interior protection is likely more important with Mahomes than OT.  Yeah,  just disagree Thuney is overpaid.   He’s more than earned his contract,  

Earned perhaps, not more. 

I still say that Creed Humphrey is our most valuable OL. 

Chris Jones will need another monster season to earn his contract. Speaking of which, bonus money he can earn. I would not mind if they paid the last one.

• 35% Snaps: $1M (LTBE)
  • 50% Snaps: $1M (LTBE)
  • 10 Sacks: $1.25M (LTBE)
  • 15 Sacks: $500,000 (LTBE)
  • 1st Team All-Pro + Super Bowl Appearance: $1M (LTBE)
  • DPOY + Super Bowl Win: $2M (LTBE)

2 hours ago, RedGold said:

Thuney can’t take on an elite player one on one in pass pro and he’s not strong enough to get tough yards in the run game. But hey to each their own, he’s solid for sure