GDT Week 2: Packers at Flacons

mikebpackfan

5 hours ago, ReadyToThump said:

Bumping this for obvious reasons. Does this 6'5 340lb F350 suck at playing the run or why the hell wasn't he activated to help in run D?

Could've used him over a rookie like Brooks or Wooden, although I am very high on both those guys... just seems pass rushing is more their forte. 

Ford is on the practice squad. Being 340 pounds doesn't automatically make you stout. He's just not that good and may never be that good. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Uffdaswede said:

I had this game as a win in a ten win season. If, as others predicted, we only win six or seven games, an excuse to fire Barry is the silver lining outcome.

Seeing Love flash enough to feel good about him as QB1 while the defense looks bad enough to get Barry fired is my hope/goal for the 2023 season.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ReadyToThump said:

Bumping this for obvious reasons. Does this 6'5 340lb F350 suck at playing the run or why the hell wasn't he activated to help in run D?

Could've used him over a rookie like Brooks or Wooden, although I am very high on both those guys... just seems pass rushing is more their forte. 

Because the ATL running game is a mostly outside zone scheme and doesn't run nearly as much inside?  ATL ran wide all day.  Having Ford on the field would have made no difference, and probably would have made things worse.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Because the ATL running game is a mostly outside zone scheme and doesn't run nearly as much inside?  ATL ran wide all day.  Having Ford on the field would have made no difference, and probably would have made things worse.

Yeah, ATL doesn't stress the bigs from a tackling standpoint, but to run outside you need your G/T to climb outside and put hands on LBs.  Where a big/good edge helps is they keep the G/T occupied by pushing the "pocket" deeper forcing the back to make an even more lateral path to the sideline, stringing out the play and preventing OL/TEs from reaching the LBs/DBs.

Then it's on the LB and/or S/CB to come up and put hands on the back, slowing him down while the rest of the team rallies to clean up.

It stresses DB tackling and/or DL movement.  Too many times there were TEs getting a head of steam hitting Quay walker trying to rally to the ball leaving Jaire/Sul/Savage unblocked and needing to fill from 15 yards away.  Yikes. 

15 hours ago, Uffdaswede said:

I had this game as a win in a ten win season. If, as others predicted, we only win six or seven games, an excuse to fire Barry is the silver lining outcome.

Barry should be fired regardless.  He's an inept buffoon, and LaFleur has a huge strike against him for giving him this much rope.

MLF should promote someone to coach O and he should coach the D so he can learn what it is that he wants from his next DC hire.  There clearly isn't one on the roster, but it's like he doesn't know what he wants his Defense to be as a HC which is a huge problem

Guy needs to live it and breathe it to understand the job.

8 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

MLF should promote someone to coach O and he should coach the D so he can learn what it is that he wants from his next DC hire.  There clearly isn't one on the roster, but it's like he doesn't know what he wants his Defense to be as a HC which is a huge problem

Guy needs to live it and breathe it to understand the job.

If we lose to the Saints next game, he and his entire coaching staff should get kicked outta here, and then we go out after the season and get Kellen Moore and Robert Saleh to run the show.  I bet they'd fix this **** show in a heartbeat.