Justin Fields

JibjeResearch

6 minutes ago, JibjeResearch said:

The rating is not the best tool to evaluate the QB.... because the yards after catch and TDs can mislead the view.

In the short game, it's all about completion percentage and INTs.... the TD only matters if it's 10 yards to the end zone.

Bagent is a little better... but both should be around 90% to 95% in completion percentage.... thus they need o get better.

This is how I view the short passing game.

Please remind me again. Are you the researcher or the test subject?

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

It's this sort of thing that makes the ideal of moving on from Fields so difficult.

To me if you are going to keep Fields you just admit that your passing attack is going to be a support role to the run game, and just go get Greg Roman. Run the BAL offense and do a franchise tag or two because it likely won't be sustainable.

Will work well of you can build the 2018 Bears defense again, but 22ppg isn't what I want to throw a megadeal at.

57 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

It's this sort of thing that makes the ideal of moving on from Fields so difficult.

Not to mention the kid is 24 years old and in his third different offense in four years (dating back to college).

1 minute ago, Sugashane said:

To me if you are going to keep Fields you just admit that your passing attack is going to be a support role to the run game, and just go get Greg Roman. Run the BAL offense and do a franchise tag or two because it likely won't be sustainable.

Will work well of you can build the 2018 Bears defense again, but 22ppg isn't what I want to throw a megadeal at.

There can be a blend. I'm of the opinion you can make noise in the playoffs with a top 10 defense and Justin Fields as your starting QB.

Just now, G08 said:

There can be a blend. I'm of the opinion you can make noise in the playoffs with a top 10 defense and Justin Fields as your starting QB.

Anyone can make noise with a top 10 defense, but when the offense is so inconsistent youre just as likely to lose 17-20 as win 20-17.

I feel like he would have Lamar Jackson-like success in the postseason. You can't run up the score on crap teams there, and when a good defense forces him to be a real QB he will fold. Fields missed way too many open reads. Getsy sucks but Fields missing that many guys makes him look even worse. Both need to be let go.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JackLa00/gamelog/post/

Maybe Jackson won't **** the bed this year. Because of Roquan being there though, I hope he does. Lol

2 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Anyone can make noise with a top 10 defense, but when the offense is so inconsistent youre just as likely to lose 17-20 as win 20-17.

I feel like he would have Lamar Jackson-like success in the postseason. You can't run up the score on crap teams there, and when a good defense forces him to be a real QB he will fold. Fields missed way too many open reads. Getsy sucks but Fields missing that many guys makes him look even worse. Both need to be let go.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JackLa00/gamelog/post/

Maybe Jackson won't **** the bed this year. Because of Roquan being there though, I hope he does. Lol

Something else seems off to me because there was a lot of noise about WRs not running proper routes/depth, etc as well. I'd be more concerned if Bagent was throwing for 350+ yards since taking over after JF1 got hurt.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, G08 said:

Something else seems off to me because there was a lot of noise about WRs not running proper routes/depth, etc as well. I'd be more concerned if Bagent was throwing for 350+ yards since taking over after JF1 got hurt.

I mean I would too, but Bagent was an UDFA. If he becomes a competent back up then that was a great signing by Poles, but I'm not pretending Bagent has a legitimate shot of being a franchise QB back there. Fields is competing against a guy that the NFL chose over 250 people ahead of him. The passing attack is going to regularly be pretty anemic with either.

I hope Fields proves me wrong and is the guy for the Bears but I've given up on him. 3 years in he seems slower to process, misses open WRs too much, and his accuracy is still highly suspect.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

I hope Fields proves me wrong and is the guy for the Bears but I've given up on him. 3 years in he seems slower to process, misses open WRs too much, and his accuracy is still highly suspect.

I mean he's having the best statistical season of his 3 year career and threw for 617 yards and 8 TDs in a two game span. Kid's only 24 to boot... way too early to give up IMO but you're certainly not alone in this fanbase!

22 minutes ago, G08 said:

I mean he's having the best statistical season of his 3 year career and threw for 617 yards and 8 TDs in a two game span. Kid's only 24 to boot... way too early to give up IMO but you're certainly not alone in this fanbase!

I know, but it's basically just deja vu for me at this point. Bears already threw out a bust who threw for 670 yards and 9 TDs in a two game span, it was Tru. Both QBs who regressed due to inept coaches, they never got better at reading coverages and both were drafted by one regime only to get taken in by another one, etc. Bad part is if Tru is a lesser passer than Fields it really isn't by much. Tru had less pocket time than Fields by the numbers (2.3 secs to 2.6 for Fields) and in almost two and a half times more dropbacks he only has 9 more sacks than Fields. I don't remember any of us bragging on Tru's pocket awareness or anything either.

Believe me, I hope I'm wrong and people get to throw this in my face for the next 15 years for being an idiot.

7 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I know, but it's basically just deja vu for me at this point. Bears already threw out a bust who threw for 670 yards and 9 TDs in a two game span, it was Tru. Both QBs who regressed due to inept coaches, they never got better at reading coverages and both were drafted by one regime only to get taken in by another one, etc. Bad part is if Tru is a lesser passer than Fields it really isn't by much. Tru had less pocket time than Fields by the numbers (2.3 secs to 2.6 for Fields) and in almost two and a half times more dropbacks he only has 9 more sacks than Fields. I don't remember any of us bragging on Tru's pocket awareness or anything either.

Believe me, I hope I'm wrong and people get to throw this in my face for the next 15 years for being an idiot.

Remember when Trubisky signed in Buffalo and a few posters here were certain he'd come out of that learning so much and it was Nagy's fault and he'd go on to have a great career?

I already can't wait to hear how Fields will do the same thing for the Giants or Falcons

48 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Remember when Trubisky signed in Buffalo and a few posters here were certain he'd come out of that learning so much and it was Nagy's fault and he'd go on to have a great career?

I already can't wait to hear how Fields will do the same thing for the Giants or Falcons

Yeah, and I think he'll be much the same. People will say "I told you" when he beats up a trash defense and then when he plays like crap against a real defense it will always be the pieces around him. Honestly with a system where they checked the ball down and he would actually get rid of the damn thing he could be a low end starter. But he either can't or won't it seems. Just so damn frustrating. 

Maybe he could have his little Tannehill run or a Geno Smith run if he was able to step in under Shanahan or McVay or someone. But I've soured on him being the face of the franchise. 

15 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Those aren't MVP numbers in 2023.  Maybe in 2003.  Lamar Jackson's numbers in 2019 were clearly better.  36 Passing TDs alone, plus 7 rushing TDs and only 7 INTS.  Those were also Meh seasons statistically from Rodgers and Mahomes, and I think if Jackson put up those stats in any year since 2019 he would not have been MVP.  

Edited by TankWilliams
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

That guy has drank the kool aid.  Fields obviously has talent to be great.  

But he never will be unless he processes in pocket faster and ball leaves his hand. 

Sad reality is he may just not be capable of it.  

You can excuse it for awhile due to talent around him experience and coaching changes, but IMO he should be able to do it by now.  

• Like 1