Justin Fields

JibjeResearch

2 hours ago, G08 said:

There's an experienced offensive coordinator who took the 2023 season off and has publicly stated he wants to get back into coaching in 2024.

He has had success with mobile/athletic QBs, coached Colin Kaepernick to a Super Bowl, Tyrod Taylor to the Pro Bowl and Lamar Jackson to an MVP.

His average offense ranks 12th in scoring over 10 seasons in the NFL.

Greg Roman is not without his flaws, but I will gladly be the 2019-2022 Ravens offense because even at their worst they are better than what we've seen in Chicago lately.

I would have no issue with Roman to be fair…some reports say he can be difficult to work with but I think one thing that is clearly on point right now is the culture in that locker room…having someone a bit more demanding won’t break that and there is no doubt he has gotten the best out of QBs with very similar skill sets in the past…I also don’t think he gets a head coaching gig so he would be a long term solution.

5 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I would have no issue with Roman to be fair…some reports say he can be difficult to work with but I think one thing that is clearly on point right now is the culture in that locker room…having someone a bit more demanding won’t break that and there is no doubt he has gotten the best out of QBs with very similar skill sets in the past…I also don’t think he gets a head coaching gig so he would be a long term solution.

It will boil down to the passing game. If he can demonstrate that he's evolved / updated his scheme, to me, it would be a home run hire. Huge IF, though. 

I'm still holding out hope Arthur Smith gets fired, I love what he did coordinating the offense in Tennessee. 

9 hours ago, Epyon said:

Not all prospects are created equal...... Bryce Young went #1 overall last year and I had the kid as undraftable via being built like a 7th grader.  Joe Burrow on the other hand, went #1 after arguably the most impressive college season in history.

Caleb Williams had a down year this year, but was a considered a "generational" prospect going into this season, ahead of basically everyone but Burrow and Luck. And that "generational" moniker wasn't even meatheads saying that, it was Kurt Warner.

Just stop overthinking this.... everyone did the same thing over Mitch..  This situation feels like when you had to have an intervention for your one socially awkward friend in their mid 20s who had never been in a relationship before and was desperately trying to keep a really toxic relationship going because it was the only one they had.... Fields isn't "the one" any more than that girl was to your friend..... Bears fans have never had that franchise QB, and they're desperate to see it in every single QB that comes their way..... He's a good guy, and likeable, but that doesn't mean he's the long term answer. The Bears can do better.

And the good thing: Williams' rating this past year was better than any other he had at USC. People saw- specifically people HERE saw- him struggle one time against Notre Dame and now he's overrated

10 hours ago, Pool said:

Fields, DJ, MHJ and a boatload of draft picks> Williams, DJ, Mooney

They aren't getting a boatload of picks AND Harrison. That's the issue

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

And the good thing: Williams' rating this past year was better than any other he had at USC. People saw- specifically people HERE saw- him struggle one time against Notre Dame and now he's overrated

They aren't getting a boatload of picks AND Harrison. That's the issue

I agree with this point. No team is going to trade multiple 1s to move up 1 or 2 spots. If we get a buttload of picks MHJ is not a part of this equation. Like, at all. We would probably be looking a Nabers, which I wouldn't be upset about either.

44 minutes ago, G08 said:

People seem to forget this and if we win 3 more games we likely won't have a shot at Nabers or Odunze either 

Agree minus Odunze. I think if they finish 7-10 or 8-9, they have zero shot at Nabers picking 10th-13th. Odunze is still possible, imo. He isn't going to light anything up athletically in the spring, which could push him down. On that note I wonder if Poles would like him enough knowing how much he values measurables

One guy who may be there still is Bowers, though. If you can't succeed with Moore, Harrison, Kmet and Bowers...

Edited by beardown3231

16 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

No one said the Bears are LOADED. Last year we asked for a #1. Fields got one. Now he needs another in Harrison or Nabers? Maybe Bowers too?

I totally get the “he shouldn’t need a stacked roster” argument, but the other side of that probably shouldn’t be who can excel with the minimum around them. Mahomes this year has Kelce, an ascending Rashee Rice and a bunch of stiffs and JAGs and he’s down statistically all across the board (career high in INTs, career low QB Rating, career low YPG, career low YPA despite a career high completion %), and the team is scoring just 22.8 ppg after being 28+ every other year since Mahomes became starter. Mahomes is the best QB in the world, AND has a HOF offensive head coach (I know Nagy is calling plays but Reid is heavily involved). Lack of surrounding talent impacts everyone.

Whether it’s Fields or Williams or someone else next year, the goal is and should always be to put as much talent around the QB as possible to best set them up for success. Being able to look like a superstar with less talent around the QB should be a bonus IMO, not the benchmark. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I totally get the “he shouldn’t need a stacked roster” argument, but the other side of that probably shouldn’t be who can excel with the minimum around them. Mahomes this year has Kelce, an ascending Rashee Rice and a bunch of stiffs and JAGs and he’s down statistically all across the board (career high in INTs, career low QB Rating, career low YPG, career low YPA despite a career high completion %), and the team is scoring just 22.8 ppg after being 28+ every other year since Mahomes became starter. Mahomes is the best QB in the world, AND has a HOF offensive head coach (I know Nagy is calling plays but Reid is heavily involved). Lack of surrounding talent impacts everyone.

Whether it’s Fields or Williams or someone else next year, the goal is and should always be to put as much talent around the QB as possible to best set them up for success. Being able to look like a superstar with less talent around the QB should be a bonus IMO, not the benchmark. 

I bet the 2024 Bears are going to very interesting from outside, as I'm guessing we're either going to be starting fresh with coaching and QB, or running everyone back and stacking the roster.  Hoping whatever they do works out so the Bears can be a POSITIVE object lesson instead of, you know, usual Bears.  The most dangerous and likely wasteful thing they could do would be some sort of half measure, like keeping Flus/Getsy and ditching FIelds, or some other middling combination that sets them up for the next moves to be out of sync again.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bigbear72 said:

agree with this point. No team is going to trade multiple 1s to move up 1 or 2 spots

The other thing here, is the idea that:

If teams are willing to give up major capital for a minor move like that

Then it follows logically that the player they're going for is deemed to be THAT SPECIAL as to be worth that much... 

If you don't have the a player rated that highly, but multiple other teams do, then the problem is quite likely to be more in your evaluation, than the player themselves. 

• Like 2

Per Kevin Fishbain's latest article 7 not so fun facts about the Bears (it's on the Hoge and Jahns today too)

"In the final 3 minutes of games within 8 points, Justin Fields has been 7 of 20 for 118 yards with 0 TDs and 3 INTs. His passer rating in late game situations is 16.3, ranked 29th out of 29 qualified QBs. His completion percentage of 35.0% is second to last behind only Burrow [5 pass attempts in this situation]. "

1 hour ago, Epyon said:

Per Kevin Fishbain's latest article 7 not so fun facts about the Bears (it's on the Hoge and Jahns today too)

"In the final 3 minutes of games within 8 points, Justin Fields has been 7 of 20 for 118 yards with 0 TDs and 3 INTs. His passer rating in late game situations is 16.3, ranked 29th out of 29 qualified QBs. His completion percentage of 35.0% is second to last behind only Burrow [5 pass attempts in this situation]. "

Eh, Getsy sucks and the D knows what's coming?

2 hours ago, Epyon said:

This stuff is why you can’t just look at the stat sheet:

-One of the INTs was this past weekend’s Hail Mary (the most desperation play in football) that landed in Mooney’s lap before he puked it up right to the CLE DB.

-Another of the INTs was when inexplicably the same exact screen was called 3x in a row by Getsy against TB and Shaq Barrett said after the game they knew what was coming.

-The final INT was also against TB, on a ball that literally hit Claypool in the hands in stride:

IMG-3819.jpg

IMG-3818.jpg

IMG-3817.jpg

Context matters. 

• Like 2

Just now, AZBearsFan said:

This stuff is why you can’t just look at the stat sheet:

-One of the INTs was this past weekend’s Hail Mary (the most desperation play in football) that landed in Mooney’s lap before he puked it up right to the CLE DB.

-Another of the INTs was when inexplicably the same exact screen was called 3x in a row by Getsy against TB and Shaq Barrett said after the game they knew what was coming.

-The final INT was also against TB, on a ball that literally hit Claypool in the hands in stride:

IMG-3819.jpg

IMG-3818.jpg

IMG-3817.jpg

Context matters. 

I guess the Claypool INT there wasn’t the 3rd one he referenced because it was a 10-point game at that point, but the point stands. Those are 3 of his 8 INTs this year. Another was the first Hail Mary INT against CLE this past week that was an obvious incompletion and would’ve been overturned in any other situation than being the last play of the half.

He’s only thrown 8 INT all year, and that’s half of them. But sure, write an article that paints him as a turnover machine.

There are plenty of things about which to be critical with Fields without just making stuff up. 

• Like 2