Justin Fields

JibjeResearch

15 minutes ago, G08 said:

Justin Fields is not without his deficiencies.

He is a tick slow processing (this could just be who he is as a player or it could be that this offense is overwhelming him and making him think too much rather than react [Justin said as much after the week 3 loss to the Buccaneers])

He also has a slower release than I like out of a QB, he needs to clean that up further and find ways to get the ball out of his hand quicker rather than the deliberate pause and windup that he does on out-routes and some hitches / comebacks.

I don't know who Quincy Avery is and why Justin Fields is dedicated to working with him. Jordan Palmer worked WONDERS with Josh Allen and overhauled his mechanics, I wish Fields would consider switching QB coaches / "gurus" but I don't see that happening.

I don't think anyone could say Fields is completely without flaws...very few QBs are...

I think of top of the above that I agree with he just sometimes needs to be more like Cutler was it and some times just say **** it and throw the ball...he has the arm talent to take a few more risks and sure sometimes it will lead to an INT...but more often than not I suspect it will lead to a big play...he almost needs to care less about what people on the outside think.

9 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I don't think anyone could say Fields is completely without flaws...very few QBs are...

I think of top of the above that I agree with he just sometimes needs to be more like Cutler was it and some times just say **** it and throw the ball...he has the arm talent to take a few more risks and sure sometimes it will lead to an INT...but more often than not I suspect it will lead to a big play...he almost needs to care less about what people on the outside think.

Well that's the thing man, Matt Eberflus is beating into his head to protect the ball at all costs. They have weekly meetings about it, among other things.

It's why I hated seeing Justin throw that screen pass into the stands. It was a cloudy look with the DE stopping his rush and throwing his hands up. "If you don't trust it, throw it away" likely was the coaching point and it's what he did.

I'd like to think in an alternate universe where that play was run with Justin Fields on another franchise, it's not only completed but it goes for a TD.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

I agree with what you said, but really, could you blame him with the microanalysis that goes on of every single thing he does? Cutler got killed for years for his “F it” throws and Fields gets killed for not making enough of them. Giving the people exactly what they want isn’t possible when what they want is perfection. It’s far easier for us to say “Just don’t listen to it” than it is to actually do that too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

I agree with what you said, but really, could you blame him with the microanalysis that goes on of every single thing he does? Cutler got killed for years for his “F it” throws and Fields gets killed for not making enough of them. Giving the people exactly what they want isn’t possible when what they want is perfection. It’s far easier for us to say “Just don’t listen to it” than it is to actually do that too.

I also agree with that…playing QB is like nothing else in sports…complicated all round.

Some context:

49ers @ Browns
15 first downs / 215 total yards / 107 pass yards / 108 rush yards / 1 TO

Ravens @ Browns
16 first downs / 296 total yards / 165 pass yards / 131 rush yards / 1 TO

Bears @ Browns
12 first downs / 236 total yards / 148 pass yards / 88 rush yards / 3 TO (2 on Hail Marys, although the first was incorrectly labeled an INT)

• Like 1

The more I watch all these QBs around the league struggle the more convinced I am we should stick with Fields and draft some play makers around him...no QB can consistently win on their own these days...

Keep Flus

Keep Fields

Replace Getsy with Roman

Sign/Draft two WRs, one TE & one/two OL.

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

The more I watch all these QBs around the league struggle the more convinced I am we should stick with Fields and draft some play makers around him...no QB can consistently win on their own these days

Agreed. Did anyone see Mahomes struggling MIGHTILY yesterday? If Fields turned in that performance, we’d have been losing our minds.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IotaNet said:

Agreed. Did anyone see Mahomes struggling MIGHTILY yesterday? If Fields turned in that performance, we’d have been losing our minds.

The difference is we've seen Mahomes be able to win from the pocket, win with his arm throwing, throw volume, exceed 4k passing yards in a season, operate quick game, throw receivers open, and throw the ball with anticipation before his receiver hits his break. 

No one is watching mahomes suddenly struggle and thinking that the problem with their team is mahomes (beyond his $$ limiting their ability to afford talent around him), because he has a proven history of being elite. 

Fields doesn't have the luxury of a proven track record..... If anything Fields' body of work thus far seems to more strongly indicate he's just not that good. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Epyon said:

The difference is we've seen Mahomes be able to win from the pocket, win with his arm throwing, throw volume, exceed 4k passing yards in a season, operate quick game, throw receivers open, and throw the ball with anticipation before his receiver hits his break. 

No one is watching mahomes suddenly struggle and thinking that the problem with their team is mahomes (beyond his $$ limiting their ability to afford talent around him), because he has a proven history of being elite. 

Fields doesn't have the luxury of a proven track record..... If anything Fields' body of work thus far seems to more strongly indicate he's just not that good. 

The thing is Fields' track record of throw the ball to real talent i.e DJ & Kmet is really good this year...it's just he has nothing else around him to help...now no one is comparing Fields to Mahomes that would be flat out stupid...but it's fairly obvious that with Kelce slowing down and only really Rice helping him out at WR Mahomes is struggling this year...he has the 3rd most interceptions in the league and we have seen some diva behavior from him that we have never seen before...bottom line is no matter who you are only having two real weapons on your offence is going to make it incredible difficult to move the ball consistently as defences get better around the league...and that is before you even start to speak about offensive lines.

3 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

The more I watch all these QBs around the league struggle the more convinced I am we should stick with Fields and draft some play makers around him...no QB can consistently win on their own these days...

Keep Flus

Keep Fields

Replace Getsy with Roman

Sign/Draft two WRs, one TE & one/two OL.

If Roman spent his year off studying the league -- and football in general -- to improve his passing scheme, he would be a huge get (IMO). Hell, he can steal whatever Todd Monken is doing in Baltimore as well because they are still implementing some of Roman's running schemes.

Worst case scenario is he fizzles out after a couple years, but to me he's a perfect fit for someone like Justin Fields. We'll see...

Just now, G08 said:

If Roman spent his year off studying the league -- and football in general -- to improve his passing scheme

Ive seen you and others keep saying this. Why do you think this is actually going to amount to change for him when he basically never changed before?

Im not saying he couldnt be a good match with Fields, but to assume he has unlocked the passing side of his offense (something we have have never seen from him) is just wishful thinking at this point.

17 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Ive seen you and others keep saying this. Why do you think this is actually going to amount to change for him when he basically never changed before?

Im not saying he couldnt be a good match with Fields, but to assume he has unlocked the passing side of his offense (something we have have never seen from him) is just wishful thinking at this point.

The only thing different for him, since 1995, is that he wasn't coaching in 2023. Ostensibly, this has been his first year off from coaching football in 27 years.

Most coaches will take that year to decompress, study the league (and football in general) to see what others are doing and, of course, use that to come up with their own ideas or flat-out steal concepts.

For all the crap Roman gets for his passing scheme, Lamar Jackson put up TD% of 9, 6.9, 4.2 and 5.2 (he's 4.4 this year) and YPA of 7.8, 7.3, 7.5 and 6.9 (he's 7.7 this year).

He certainly has his issues in the passing game, nobody is denying that, but his offenses do score points. In his 10 years coordinating offenses in the NFL, his teams have averaged 12th in points scored. I'd kill to have that in Chicago -- that's how low our bar is 😆

Edited by G08
  • Like 1

3rd time now Moore has come out and said he doesn't see why the QB situation should change...one of two things are happening here...either he knows Fields is coming back and feels comfortable talking about it so openly...or either Flus or more than likely Poles/Warren need to have a word with him and tell him to stop talking because the plan is to move on to a different QB and this will make it harder for you to have a positive relationship with that QB earlier in their career.