The Week 2 Gameday Thread: Commanders @ Broncos: Let's Ride! - 4:25 Game - GIF Theme Tobey Maguire

MikeT14

100WAS.png?v=8Washington Commanders (1-0) at 100DEN.png?v=8Denver Broncos (0-1)
Sunday, September 17, 2023 at 4:25 P.M. ET
Empower Field at Mile High in Denver, Colorado
ATS Betting Lines: Denver -3.5
Moneyline Odds: Denver -180 / Washington +150
Over/Under: 40.5

giphy.gif 

Wylie adjusting his appearance hoping no one recognizes him this week. 

• Like 3

I think we can win this one. I think it will be a low-scoring defensive battle again as Sam and EB get acclimated and the offense continues making progress. The one thing keeping me from having total confidence in a win is how we have routinely dropped our second game under Rivera with a big let down from the team. It's weird but its consistent. I'm going to go against conventional wisdom here and say we win this one.

Washington 24

Denver 13

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

The one thing keeping me from having total confidence in a win is how we have routinely dropped our second game under Rivera with a big let down from the team. It's weird but its consistent.

Dropped what exactly? Like momentum or expectations? It's hard to say it's a routine when he's 1-2 in week 2 and the win was split in the middle. 

31 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Dropped what exactly? Like momentum or expectations? It's hard to say it's a routine when he's 1-2 in week 2 and the win was split in the middle. 

We've lost two of out three week 2 games under Rivera. And honestly it should be all three. We missed a game winning field goal against the Giants but got to kick it again because some dummy jumped off-sides. For whatever reason we struggle in week two with him at the helm. 

Just now, lavar703 said:

We've lost two of out three week 2 games under Rivera. And honestly it should be all three. We missed a game winning field goal against the Giants but got to kick it again because some dummy jumped off-sides. For whatever reason we struggle in week two with him at the helm. 

I mean, maybe? I'm just not sure on the sample size. It's only three games and he did win one of them regardless of how he did. I think another was against a Cardinals team that started like 8-0? Last years Lions were somewhat of a surprise. We'll see. So is it a come out flat thing? I could see it. We've never been hot under him though (or at least often). 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I mean, maybe? I'm just not sure on the sample size. It's only three games and he did win one of them regardless of how he did. I think another was against a Cardinals team that started like 8-0? Last years Lions were somewhat of a surprise. We'll see. So is it a come out flat thing? I could see it. We've never been hot under him though (or at least often). 

Yeah, I mean, it's how we start the year. We come out flat. Lost like 3 or 4 games in a row and then win ever game in October and get ourselves back in the playoff picture. Its just weird. I think Sheehan said Rivera has some astronomically high win rate in October. Something absurd. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

@lavar703 it might be time to ban PFF based on Wylie's score. 

PFF is weird. Some things I think are okay but other stuff is hard to take seriously. Its just hard to find really anyone else that does what they do and I don't have the all-22 to just do it myself although I've been considering it. I know they've been taking a beating from players for awhile now. I have never paid for their service and never will. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

PFF is weird. Some things I think are okay but other stuff is hard to take seriously. Its just hard to find really anyone else that does what they do and I don't have the all-22 to just do it myself although I've been considering it. I know they've been taking a beating from players for awhile now. I have never paid for their service and never will. 

I remember reading an article by Ross Tucker and he said that really most professional offensive lineman are pretty solid and the only noticeable difference between a pro bowl olineman and a backup is the backup will screw something up like 5-6 plays a game. Now those 5-6 plays can lose the game for you which is why the starter guys are valuable, but if it really is that slim of a margin a rating in the 60s might be reasonable for Wylie. 

• Like 2

I honestly don't know what to think of this game, I think we can win it and should because our D should dominate the Broncos pedestrian offense but, I worry about our offense vs. their defense. I know Howell can play better than he did last week and I expect him to. I know our run game can be better as well and of course, we can limit those turnovers.

I hope that Charles, Gates, and Wylie rebound too, but the OL is obviously still our biggest concern. We really need our D to dominate, which I'm sure is what Broncos fans are also saying.

I like Lavar’s prediction, but I'll change it a bit so that it's not redundant.

C’s: 23

Broncos: 16

• Like 1

I want to see B-Rob be the horse between the tackles C-Rod do some in between the tackles and draws.

I want to see AG/CS= Percy Harvin on screens/swing passes and some other in space plays.

Terry/Jahan on mid-long range routes  

Really hope EB opens up the offense more than what we saw on Sunday.

For what it’s worth, watching the game back, I thought Charles was actually more of a problem for us than Wylie. Not that Wylie was very good…but Saahdiq was pretty bad.

It’s really just more of the same issue that has always existed with Charles: his initial punch/contact seems to be weak, and he frequently loses (badly) in the first engagement. He actually does a pretty admirable job of shoring up and slowing them down eventually, but he gets driven back so quickly that he creates a lot of panic and disruption in the QB behind him.

Wylie got smoked by Gardeck a couple times, which…at least he’s a had a little success in the league as a pass-rusher. I’ve genuinely never heard of these guys who were pushing Saahdiq around.

In the run game, honestly, I thought they all were pretty bad. I was hoping to see some road-grading stuff from Cosmi at guard, but he made very little impact there to my eye. Nobody out there was getting much push (or sustaining blocks). Maybe a weather thing, maybe they need more time to develop some cohesion on those combo blocks. But maybe they just aren’t good?

Saahdiq does move very well for a guard, which I appreciate. He gets downfield in a hurry on screens, and he does a pretty good job when they ask him to get to a spot when pulling. 

As for Wylie, PFF has always been a bit of a “big play” heavy grader, in my opinion — they give a ton of weight to plays where a guy was clearly “great” or “terrible.” Which makes it especially odd that a guy could get destroyed on a couple plays as badly and noticeably as he did, with major consequences, and still walk out with an above-average grade. Maybe they really liked what he was doing individually in the run game? I didn’t really notice, but I was definitely more focused on the IOL on those plays.