The Week 2 Gameday Thread: Commanders @ Broncos: Let's Ride! - 4:25 Game - GIF Theme Tobey Maguire

MikeT14

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

Commanders
Player Position Injuries Practice Status Game Status
Sam Cosmi G   Full Participation in Practice  
Jartavius Martin CB   Did Not Participate In Practice  
Terry McLaurin WR   Full Participation in Practice  
Curtis Samuel WR   Limited Participation in Practice  
Chase Young DE   Full Participation in Practice  

That's new?

Broncos
Player Position Injuries Practice Status Game Status
Frank Clark LB   Did Not Participate In Practice  
Greg Dulcich TE   Did Not Participate In Practice  
Jerry Jeudy WR   Full Participation in Practice  
D.J. Jones DT   Full Participation in Practice  
Riley Moss CB   Full Participation in Practice

Commanders WR Curtis Samuel (hip) was removed from the Week 2 injury report and will play against the Broncos.
Samuel remained limited in practice, but his removal from the injury report means he will play in Week 2. The veteran receiver was targeted five times in Week 1 and appeared to be an easy outlet for Sam Howell when the second-year quarterback was under pressure. He could play a similar role and return FLEX-worthy numbers in Week 2.

bf7952f04a315a26cfe001a9004189be2247d2c8

“Obviously, we have to be smart because it is his first introduction to full contact, full-speed contact other than what he had in practice this week,” Rivera said. “And he had a very good week — the young man has worked his tail off. I think he’s done the things that they’ve needed to see, so that’s the real big positive for us going forward.”

Rivera added that the Commanders will “most certainly” have Young on a pitch count in the game.

“But the biggest thing more than anything else is the young man has just been terrific — from Day 1 in training camp, worked his tail off, had the unfortunate [injury] where we had to put him down for a little bit. Now he’s back up,” Rivera said. “He’s been working hard. Done everything he needs to. Been chomping at the bit. So, we’re excited for his opportunity.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/chase-young-cleared-from-stinger-will-play-vs-broncos

They better take them training wheels off if he looks great. No reason to have a guy on a pitch count if he tells you he is good to go. At this point there is nothing left for the team to lose. Him not playing guarantees he won't be here next year. Give the guy a chance to earn the contract he wants. I know this will make me sound terrible, but from the team's standpoint, they lose nothing if he gets hurt and misses the year. They need to wipe the slate clean and treat this as a 1 year prove it deal and get him out there.

• Like 2

Also, I want to take a moment to again acknowledge how terrible this staff is at relaying information and sticking their feet in their mouths. To declare that Chase will be back week 3 at the earliest, before the first game, while he is participating fully, is absolute mismanagement. It's like they are incapable of keeping information close to the chest and overshare incorrect information like they have word vomit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slappy Mc said:

Also, I want to take a moment to again acknowledge how terrible this staff is at relaying information and sticking their feet in their mouths. To declare that Chase will be back week 3 at the earliest, before the first game, while he is participating fully, is absolute mismanagement. It's like they are incapable of keeping information close to the chest and overshare incorrect information like they have word vomit.

Rivera is the worst in the league at relaying injury information to the media. It's been awful for years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slappy Mc said:

To be fair, did they do that publicly? Or was it based on sources? I know we reported what Ben Standig said, but did Ron ever say "Chase isn't playing Week 2?"

https://www.commanders.com/news/commanders-prepare-for-sean-payton-diverse-offense-led-by-russell-wilson

Denver vs the Raiders

On Offense https://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore/_/gameId/401547400
Denver did not turn the ball over
Wilson had 177 yards on 34 attempts
Wilson rushed 1 time for 1 yd  Wilson had the 8th lowest per temp during wk 1. Dink and dunk stuff 
Javante Williams 13 carries for 52 rushing yds Sutton had one TD he should be there main wr but watch out for Mims

On defense https://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore/_/gameId/401547400

Denver had no sacks, 1 TFL, 3 QB Hits
 Jacobs to 48 yards on 19 carries. Defensively pretty good so don't be surprise if Robinson rushing yds will be low.
One interception no forced fumbles. But with our OL playing at it current level I expect them to apply more pressure on Sam than wk 1 and could manfacture more TO's. They gave up only 200 passing yd wk1 but 2 passing TD's. Interesting is that Bronco CB Mathis gave up both of the Raiders passing TD's. Hello Dotson and Surtain did a nice job on Adams.

This appears to be another defensive dominant game. Wilson is still broken. Once again TO's wil be the key. I think we should not get carried away with SH he is still a inexperienced rookie and with the poor OL our offense with be a little below average initially. Both teams still learning a new Offense. Another close game fellas.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

To be fair, did they do that publicly? Or was it based on sources? I know we reported what Ben Standig said, but did Ron ever say "Chase isn't playing Week 2?"

The correct answer to this is no. I cannot find a single source where it came directly from our staff or doctors. I was referring to the Standig tweet here:

The fact that it is "multiple sources" I guess is what gave it credence to me that it came from people with inside knowledge. You are correct though, I could not find a single thing directly from Ron that said until week 3.

Maybe I'm overreacting, but the murkiness of the situation and the way it is described by both Chase and Ron make me unsure of what to think.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

The correct answer to this is no. I cannot find a single source where it came directly from our staff or doctors. I was referring to the Standig tweet here:

The fact that it is "multiple sources" I guess is what gave it credence to me that it came from people with inside knowledge. You are correct though, I could not find a single thing directly from Ron that said until week 3.

Maybe I'm overreacting, but the murkiness of the situation and the way it is described by both Chase and Ron make me unsure of what to think.

And I’m not trying to doubt what you say. I firmly believe Standig got a report from inside from credible people that they were probably holding him out another week. I def bought it too. Sounds like he had a good week though. Pitch count but let’s rock and roll. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

The issue for me is this isn't new. Rivera has given murky updates really since Alex Smith’s calf injury in 2020 as for the reason why he didn't play in playoff game that year when he had just played in and finished the Eagles game the week before to get into the playoffs. Alex had earned the right to at least start the 2020-21 Bucs playoff game bc he & the D were the reason we made the playoffs.

Then there was Curis Samuel in 2021. The entire injury, rehab and when he'd be ready to play and why he couldn't want clear years.

It's continued with Chase the past two years. Heck the media/public/fans didn't even know Chase had torn his patella tendon until like 9 months or so after he had his knee injury in 2021. We had no clue all that time he wouldn't be Reddy for the season bc he had the patella tendon injury as well as the ACL injury. I feel we should've known that in Nov of 2021.

As for this injury, I don't know that they should've ever said it was just a “stinger.” They should've said it was a neck injury. If they had said it was a neck injury people would've realized it was more serious than just a regular stinger which players return from in the same game. If had been described as a neck injury people would've understood why he didn't play in any more preseason games, why he was held out of contact and why he missed week 1 but, when it's characterized as “just a stinger” people turn on the player and wonder why he won't play.

Edited by turtle28