• 2024 Draft Prospects •

WizardHawk

19 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

RB1 imo, but I have a feeling FA is where Dallas gets their guy. 

They'd be smart to do both. Get a guy in FA and in that 3rd-5th round take a RB.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, textaz03 said:

𝗥𝗨𝗠𝗢𝗥𝗦: The #Falcons want to trade up for a quarterback in the draft, with Drake Maye being one of the quarterbacks Atlanta is especially interested in, per @MarinoNFL 

“Drake Maye has the apple of their eye”

https://x.com/jasrifootball/status/1761096950055632981?s=46&t=ktd6JTByZwOAf6VhdnN4wg

They’d be dumb to not at least try to move up for a QB…that’s really the only position holding them back.

Junior Colson, LB, Michigan

I've watched a lot of linebacker tape this last week. And this is a bit of a throwback comparison, but it's hard not to see Dat Nguyen when I watch Junior Colson.

Sure, Colson has the actual size and power Dat lacked, so fits the mold of the need and scheme here in Dallas. But his tenacity in hunting the ball carrier, his versatility in being able to hunt sideline to sideline while keeping sound coverage in a zone, and his ability to wrap up and.bring down a ball carrier without taking a bad angle or missing with an attempt at a big pop, makes him look like he will be one hell of a reliable linebacker for a long time.

He maybe doesn't show the extra something special in any regard, but he does flash some.great burst to ball and exceptionally reliable tackling ability. And if this kid is there in round 2, I am all in for Dallas selecting him. Hell, if they think the fifth year option is worth it for him, Id take him late in the first. I'd like flashier in the first, someone with a special something to him.

But this team needs an old reliable at Linebacker to help shore up the run defense and provide a steady dose of just reliably good defending, period. And this kid has that in spades.

If you haven't watched him much, you should.

• Like 1

Dallas Turner, LB/Edge Rusher, Alabama

This is my favorite defensive player in the draft class. There aren't many prospects that come out that show as much promise I'm rushing the passer AND setting the tone against the run.

Sure, plenty of.better pass rush prospects come out in other years. More athletic, more freakish, more electric. But they don't typically also possess the alertness and instincts to shift from attacking the pocket to breaking down a run play with the quickness he can. Great reflexes overall. And great promise as both a rusher and a true line backer on the outside.

Because he shows such instincts and reflexes, and promise in both categories, he is my favorite defensive player in the draft. Maybe not on the level I liked Parsons, as Parsons showed all of the same reflexes and promise but also boasted an amazing pop off the snap that for a guy his size made him more than a match for most linemen. I don't think you see that with Turner. But the reflexes and instincts of a guy like Parsons are certainly there. And while he may serve more purpose as an edge threat, he certainly brings to the table an idealic combination of rush and run defending that could certainly aid Dallas in restoring the run defense while not out right neutering the pass rush when he is in there, as putting in guys like Fowler or Armstrong does (with both serving little aid in stopping the run).

If Dallas truly is all in, then this would be the perfect target to aim for if he starts sliding into that same range in which Parsons was selected. 

And to be honest. The kid would probably be selected higher in other draft classes because of his pure defensive capability. But in a draft class full of highly regarded passers, pass catchers, and offensive linemen, this kid could find himself easily becoming the target of a trade from a team in the 20s - such as Dallas.

2 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Dallas Turner, LB/Edge Rusher, Alabama

This is my favorite defensive player in the draft class. There aren't many prospects that come out that show as much promise I'm rushing the passer AND setting the tone against the run.

Sure, plenty of.better pass rush prospects come out in other years. More athletic, more freakish, more electric. But they don't typically also possess the alertness and instincts to shift from attacking the pocket to breaking down a run play with the quickness he can. Great reflexes overall. And great promise as both a rusher and a true line backer on the outside.

Because he shows such instincts and reflexes, and promise in both categories, he is my favorite defensive player in the draft. Maybe not on the level I liked Parsons, as Parsons showed all of the same reflexes and promise but also boasted an amazing pop off the snap that for a guy his size made him more than a match for most linemen. I don't think you see that with Turner. But the reflexes and instincts of a guy like Parsons are certainly there. And while he may serve more purpose as an edge threat, he certainly brings to the table an idealic combination of rush and run defending that could certainly aid Dallas in restoring the run defense while not out right neutering the pass rush when he is in there, as putting in guys like Fowler or Armstrong does (with both serving little aid in stopping the run).

If Dallas truly is all in, then this would be the perfect target to aim for if he starts sliding into that same range in which Parsons was selected. 

And to be honest. The kid would probably be selected higher in other draft classes because of his pure defensive capability. But in a draft class full of highly regarded passers, pass catchers, and offensive linemen, this kid could find himself easily becoming the target of a trade from a team in the 20s - such as Dallas.

I like Turner...but I feel like he'd be another Micah. And you already have concerns about his utilization here. 

If you ask me - if the team is looking at another pass rusher - they need to consider Darius Robinson. A player that can hold his own against the run but still provide a pass rush. 

Tommy Eichenberg, LB, Ohio State

If Dallas really aims to get it right with a true line backer to seal the running lanes without investing a top pick, this kid fits the bill.

What he lacks in sideline to sideline speed he more than makes up for with his ability to read the play and take a great angle to the ball carrier. Straight speed is not his game; instincts and good football certainly is. 

Time after time you can see him catching a much faster ball carrier by taking a proper angle after making the perfect read - which you can tell was perfect because of his first step, always into the right direction and always perfectly in tune with the runner. 

He is, to put it plainly, a football player. He knows what he's doing and could really influence the course of the game with his ability to make great tackles in the lanes or in space. He isn't going to light up the stat sheets with TFLs, PBUs, and shnazzy plays. But he will be in on every run play, either making the stop, assisting the stop, or funneling the ball carrier away from the lane and into a stop. 

The perfect solution to what has ailed the Cowboys for three years and counting.

5 minutes ago, D82 said:

I like Turner...but I feel like he'd be another Micah. And you already have concerns about his utilization here. 

If you ask me - if the team is looking at another pass rusher - they need to consider Darius Robinson. A player that can hold his own against the run but still provide a pass rush. 

The thing is, both Turner and Parsons can do a lot more than rush the passer. Parsons was selected initially to play the Mike - be the Wagner of the defense, so to speak. It wasnt until Lawrence got hurt and Williams suspended and other injuries forced Parsons to play on.the edge full time, that his ability to penetrate became so renowned that it seemed foolish to let him do anything else.

But three seasons now have proven that it takes too big of a toll on him, and effects his late season play far too negatively. It's also proven that having him do so diminishes far too greatly the teams ability to stop the run and cover short passes over the middle. Parsons is capable of both of those, as that was the reason he was drafted so high.

Adding a guy like Turner would allow both he and Parsons to be the Queens of the chess board. They can both rush, or one can while the other covers, or they can both fall back. They both can be moved around the board(formation) freely and create mismatches on multiple sides of the field, making it difficult for an offense to decide where to shift protection or in which direction to set their run.

Since both can play the run and pass, neither would need to come off the field in a power situation or a third and long; they can both equally impact the game in either scenario. And both of them on the field together would make it less foolish to set the other off the ball, allowing each other to do more than just try to rack up sack totals, but actually impact the course of the game in other ways. 

While also remaining fresh for that late season push where more time off the ball means more umph to their game in January when lined up on the ball.

It's a win-win.

On 2/24/2024 at 1:08 PM, D82 said:

They’d be dumb to not at least try to move up for a QB…that’s really the only position holding them back.

I don't think Ridder showed he would be their savior....but I also don't think Ridder showed he couldn't be, either.

The kid made some incredible throws at times, and really came on strong under pressure. His inexperience showed quite a bit, and the system itself wasn't doing him many favors. I would absolutely get the allure of Drake Maye coming into the fold in Atlanta. But there's still something about Ridder that I think can become a pretty good starter. Maybe a long the lines of like, Tannehill in Tennessee when he didn't have to be the golden boy, or a potentially much more mobile version of Cousins, able to move the chains with his legs and make solid NFL throws to good targets for lots of production. 

If they select Maye and allow Ridder to take a seat, I'd totally get it. But I do think they're best served selecting a difference maker on defense or adding to their protection, and allowing the lower investment in Ridder to continue to grow.

Spencer Rattler, QB, South Carolina

In looking at some mid to late tier QBs that could fit the bill for Dallas as possible development guys who could compete for a backup role or even a starting role (depending upon Dak and his contract situation) in the next 2 to 3 seasons, it's hard not to see how Rattler stands out as the "best of the rest."

He has a very natural throwing motion, that wastes nothing. He drives the ball with a very modernized whipping motion that starts with a twist of the shoulder and ends with the snap of his wrist. Very well developed here, and this is the more successful style of throwing in this modern age of fast release, high velocity, efficient competion percentage, pass happy NFL offenses. 

The overall look of him in the pocket is good too. He doesn't seem to step off his drive into the throw regardless of the pressure and he has a pretty shifty feel for the pressure as well. Definitely understands how sometimes a step or two up into the pocket can be more effective than leaving it.

There are some clear breakdowns with the rest of his game, though. Even on great throws and completions, he has a tendency to stare at the intended receiver and make no attempt to look for an alternative - which in turn can shift the safeties - and it gets him into a bit of sack troubles. In the NFL that would lead to far more sacks and of course interceptions than in college. 

On the drop, his feet never look even to me. This pushes off timing of the play call, and could be a hell of a deterrent for many teams who rely heavily on timing. Luckily, Dallas hasn't really run an offense that was very timing heavy since Jason Garrett was the OC and Wade the HC. But timing is still essential, especially with an offense that figures to run the ball often. This requires more throws to be made off of a drop back than from standing tall in a shotgun, and even if the play isn't designed for the ball to be out at a specific time, the routes are designed to break separation at the top of the drop back. So no matter what, this would be the key to preparing Rattler to compete for even a backup role.

But the more you watch him, the more you see just how natural he is throwing the ball. I really love the whipping motion of his arm. It's fast, it generates a lot of velocity, and reminds me of a very young and inefficient Favre (the motion itself, not the player). I think if you're taking a QB with the eye to develop him and see what he may be, selecting a kid with a trait like this one would serve Dallas well. It's a trait that typically does well in the modern era NFL, and when you're looking for traits, it's always good to pick the ones that are usually successful and a common trait among the special players.

Potential top overall pick #USC QB Caleb Williams will wait until his Pro Day to throw and workout for scouts, sources say. He’ll be in Indianapolis for the NFL Scouting Combine, but not throw for teams.

https://x.com/rapsheet/status/1761949722573459709?s=46&t=ktd6JTByZwOAf6VhdnN4wg

there is just 2 many red flags with this dude for me. Which ever team takes him, I feel is going to regret it in 2-3 years.