The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

Honestly, none of those guys you mentioned are on Bo Nix’s level either for what he did this year at Oregon.

Ain't it the truth// What if he's the guy- You can't ( well you could but ) take him at #2 /.

7 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Honestly, none of those guys you mentioned are on Bo Nix’s level either for what he did this year at Oregon.

Ain't it the truth// What if he's the guy- You can't ( well you could but ) take him at #2 /.

Only took him 45 years 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

The Drake Maye to Daniel Jones is just an awful comp. Daniel Jones was a late riser & did so in part bc of his connections to the Manning’s as @lavar703 said.

In most drafts with better QB talent, Daniel Jones would've gone in R2 just like Haskins should've. 

Drake Maye has been a projected top 5 draft pick in this class since he was being recruited 4 years ago just like Caleb Williams and the only reason Maye didn't have a great season this year is bc the WR talent to start the season at UNC was awful as the guy who was supposed to be his top target wasn't allowed to play to start the season.

Drake Maye could've gone to Alabama or other more high profile schools and thrown for 40 tds every year & rushed for 5 to 10 TDs but, he chose to go to UNC bc he wanted to stay home like his older brother did who played basketball at UNC & he wanted to play for Mac Brown.

Maye’s floor is Daniel Jones, but his ceiling is closer to that of Josh Allen.

Have to agree with this. Except for the part about Tez Walker, because for whatever reason, Maye actually played better early in the year than he did at the end.

Anyway, it’s kinda wild to balk at the Herbert/Allen comparisons because of arm strength — but then make a comparison to Daniel Jones, who floated every throw over 20 yards or so. While Maye is throwing back-foot 40 yard fadeaways to the goalline and 45 yard seeds between the hashes. 

Perhaps Maye isn’t in the A+ God tier of arm strength with Allen, Mahomes, Herbert, and Caleb Williams, but he’s easily in the very next level. And he’s at least a full tier, maybe two tiers, ahead of Daniel Jones in terms of the downfield arm talent. Jones could zip it on the short throws and was accurate downfield, but he never had anything close to the ability to throw the 20-40 yard missiles that make the high-end arm guys special (Jones was much more comparable to Jayden Daniels, arm-wise). Maye makes those throws regularly.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Only took him 45 years 

Wonder who was lining up to get Bo Nix after his 3rd year in college — with his 130 rating for a 6-7 Auburn team, splitting playing time with TJ Finley.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

Much like Jayden Daniels, Bo Nix played 5 years in college & didn’t break out until he was 23. Nix will be 24 Feb 25th. I mean, those guys should be killing it against mostly 19 to 21 year old kids.

53 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Much like Jayden Daniels, Bo Nix played 5 years in college & didn’t break out until he was 23. Nix will be 24 Feb 25th. I mean, those guys should be killing it against mostly 19 to 21 year old kids.

This is a hard point to drive home, but maybe the best way to really highlight it is to say that these guys (Penix/Nix/Daniels) are Sam Howell’s contemporaries. They all came into college football in 2019 (except Penix, whose true freshman year was 2018). They all started as freshmen and remained the starter at their original school through 2021. 

Then Sam went to the NFL, and the other three (with minimal NFL interest, to say the least) transferred to different colleges. While Sam has been toiling in the NFL the last two years, they’ve been putting up numbers in college with stacked rosters. 

What do we think Sam would have been doing in his 4th and 5th college seasons if he’d transferred to some school with elite OL play and almost a half-dozen NFL skill players around him? Probably exactly what these dudes have done. We already know what he did at age 20 with a less stacked roster.

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 1

I cannot explain the utter disappointment I will feel if this team takes Jayden Daniels. I just cannot believe the amount of people who seemingly think you can just slap 25lbs of muscle on your body easily not to mention lose no speed whilst doing so. I just cannot imagine a sub 200lb QB who tries to hurdle entire defensive lines and refuses to slide working out in the NFL. He may become great and I could be totally wrong here but I just can’t get over the 4 years of mediocrity coupled with his advanced age for a rookie and not think this will end up as anything more than a disaster. 

• Like 1

It's going to be an interesting watch to see how the older breakout QB debate develops - Daniels, Penix, Nix and to a lesser extent Hartman (and then differently for like Spencer Rattler).

I like Daniels - I think coaching can correct a lot of the Superman issues, I'm sneaky optimistic about Nix being a solid high end backup at worst, but I am not a fan of Penix. It's interesting.

Call me crazy but I think Jordan Travis ends up as one of the better/best QBs from this class. 

More time to learn, less pressure, later round pick. Dude was lighting up college football before he got hurt. 

2 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Call me crazy but I think Jordan Travis ends up as one of the better/best QBs from this class. 

More time to learn, less pressure, later round pick. Dude was lighting up college football before he got hurt. 

That's an interesting higher ceiling, low *** floor pick to me. But I get someone throwing a 4th or better at it and seeing what sticks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, e16bball said:

This is a hard point to drive home, but maybe the best way to really highlight it is to say that these guys (Penix/Nix/Daniels) are Sam Howell’s contemporaries. They all came into college football in 2019 (except Penix, whose true freshman year was 2018). They all started as freshmen and remained the starter at their original school through 2021. 

Then Sam went to the NFL, and the other three (with minimal NFL interest, to say the least) transferred to different colleges. While Sam has been toiling in the NFL the last two years, they’ve been putting up numbers in college with stacked rosters. 

What do we think Sam would have been doing in his 4th and 5th college seasons if he’d transferred to some school with elite OL play and almost a half-dozen NFL skill players around him? Probably exactly what these dudes have done. We already know what he did at age 20 with a less stacked roster.

I’ve been making this very point to Daniels lovers & Howell haters on twitter for months & they simply don’t care; oh well. I think the point is obvious that Daniels & Nix were not as good as Howell the last time they all 3 played in college at the same time. Also, Howell was throwing for nearly 400 yds vs the Eagles while Daniels & Nix were doing it against college kids. 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, Slappy Mc said:

I agree, maybe it’s bc he looks like him but, I think he compares to Russell Wilson. 

3 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I cannot explain the utter disappointment I will feel if this team takes Jayden Daniels. I just cannot believe the amount of people who seemingly think you can just slap 25lbs of muscle on your body easily not to mention lose no speed whilst doing so. I just cannot imagine a sub 200lb QB who tries to hurdle entire defensive lines and refuses to slide working out in the NFL. He may become great and I could be totally wrong here but I just can’t get over the 4 years of mediocrity coupled with his advanced age for a rookie and not think this will end up as anything more than a disaster. 

I think he’ll weigh over 200 pounds, but not more than 210. He’s definitely still skinny even if he isn’t ASU Jayden Daniels skinny anymore. He’s skinner than RG3 & we all know how beat up he got in the NFL.

RG3 & Daniels have the same mentality/wreck-less playing style which is good in someways that they have no fear taking on linebackers & SS’s while running but on the other hand it’s stupid.