The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

18 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

It’s consistency and intangibles that I worry about because winners win. He’s struggled in that reguard and typically if you aren’t elevating your teams to win up in college you won’t in the NFL come playoff time and we’ve seen that over and over. 

This is where you lose me on this particular take.

Maye’s college record as a starter at UNC was 17-9 (.654). Daniels was 37-19 (.673) overall, but he was 18-11 (.621) in his first three seasons at ASU before transferring to a powerhouse school. Caleb was 23-10 (.697), despite playing at two powerhouse schools. And just for the record, Maye’s team got rolled without him in their bowl game (against WVU), while LSU and USC both still won their bowl games even without Daniels and Caleb. 

Take a look at the last 4 QBs standing this year. Lamar was 23-13 (.639) as a college starter. Jared Goff was 14-23 (.378) at Cal, and even if you take out the crazy 1-11 freshman year, he was still just 13-12 (.520). Brock Purdy was 30-17 (.638) as a starter during his 4 seasons at ISU. And the 3-time SB winning Patrick Mahomes was 13-19 (.406) in college, and he was still below .500 (12-14) even if you only include his sophomore and junior seasons. And just to add a couple more from playoff teams, Jordan Love was 21-12 (.636) at Utah State and Josh Allen was 16-9 (.640) at Wyoming.

Every one of those guys had a worse college record than Maye. They still seem to be okay at winning in the pros. The crazy win/loss records just aren’t happening at the smaller, non-powerhouse schools. But those schools still turn out good NFL QBs, probably more combined than the powerhouses.

Somewhat humorously, the one non-powerhouse school guy who was in the playoffs and did have a better college W/L record than Maye? Dak Prescott, who is probably the most notorious choker/loser this side of Kirk Cousins (who also had a better college W/L record than Maye…and all those other guys listed above). 

• Like 3

Colt McCoy film review with Drake Maye

Orlovsky thinks Drake Maye will be in conversation to go #1, compares him to Big Ben. He thinks he’ll be a superstar in the NFL. McCoy really likes Maye’s arm strength and talks about the TD throw he made to a WR who was blanketed from the far hash into the back of the endzone.

Edited by turtle28

8 hours ago, lavar703 said:

And with that in mind, please for the love of god do no take Jayden Daniels over Drake Maye. If you trade back somehow and want to take Jayden Daniels and he's there then go for it but do not take him over Maye. Take the 6'4 230lb rocket armed 21-year old. I get all of the excitement that comes along with Daniels. He runs and causes issues for defenses and yadda yadda yadda. He also refuses to slide and takes massive hits and we've been down this road. It will absolutely end in similar fashion. Don't be dumb. Do the right thing this time. TAKE DRAKE MAYE!

Orlovsky compared Maye to Big Ben & I think that’s the perfect comp. As a prospect Big Ben was big, strong & tall. He had sneaky athletic ability but wasn’t blowing anyone away with athleticism, it was more a crafty play & escape ability when watching him. A lot like Josh Allen too, when these guys run, it’s like watching a TE run in the open field, not a RB (see Vick, Lamar, Fields, Steve Young, McNair etc) and not like a WR (see Cunningham, RG3 & Daniels) but, these bigger guys run like TEs bc that’s what size they are & what their body size equates too.

Big Ben as a prospect was pretty raw, but you could see he had all the tools, powers, courage, strength, toughness, sneaky athleticism and leadership qualities to become elite but it might take a few years but, eventually he did by year 4.

https://www.si.com/nfl/steelers/news/pittsburgh-steelers-top-quarterback-drawing-ben-roethlisberger-comparisons

Edited by turtle28

Just so you guys know if we draft Drake i hope he shines!!! I also am perfectly excited to get tagged every time he makes great plays 🤣🤣🤣 its just gut feelings and lessons over the years. I wouldnt be surprised to see him be the top player from this class at that position he has the game. His skillset is on par with top picks. His ability is as well. This is my thing. I do feel like our staff is the enviroment needed to thrive as a young QB with some calculated FA additions inbthe trenches to placehold and allow picks to develop behind and get reps through injury in the meantime. I believe this staff will give Terry and Jahan the system for their skillsets to excel. We need to be versitile. We need to be calculated. Luckily there is alot to like from this QB class. Personally i think this defense makes the biggest leap and starts to look like the defense the assets weve invested in it say they should. We will see who we add i can see us mqking a run at Burns or Allen. They are premier. That is a group i could see putting some FA money into  since we didnt pay Chase or Tez.

• Like 2

Just so you guys know if we draft Drake i hope he shines!!! I also am perfectly excited to get tagged every time he makes great plays 🤣🤣🤣 its just gut feelings and lessons over the years. I wouldnt be surprised to see him be the top player from this class at that position he has the game. His skillset is on par with top picks. His ability is as well. This is my thing. I do feel like our staff is the enviroment needed to thrive as a young QB with some calculated FA additions inbthe trenches to placehold and allow picks to develop behind and get reps through injury in the meantime. I believe this staff will give Terry and Jahan the system for their skillsets to excel. We need to be versitile. We need to be calculated. Luckily there is alot to like from this QB class. Personally i think this defense makes the biggest leap and starts to look like the defense the assets weve invested in it say they should. We will see who we add i can see us mqking a run at Burns or Allen. They are premier. That is a group i could see putting some FA money into  since we didnt pay Chase or Tez.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

Personally i think this defense makes the biggest leap and starts to look like the defense the assets weve invested in it say they should. We will see who we add i can see us mqking a run at Burns or Allen. They are premier. That is a group i could see putting some FA money into  since we didnt pay Chase or Tez.

I don't think we'll be able to sign Burns or Josh Allen (the DE) in FA. I think they'll be franchised if they don't get a long-term deal done.

I think we’re looking more likely at a Dorance Armstrong form Dallas, a Bryce Huff from the NYJ or an AJ Epinesa from Buffalo on top of retaining some of our own DE FAs like JSW to play LDE & maybe Toohill to compete for a spot. I also think we draft a LEO prospect within the first 3 rounds.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

I don't think we'll be able to sign Burns or Josh Allen (the DE) in FA.

Do you think we’ll be able to sign Josh Allen (the QB) in FA? Because if so, I’d be down to make him a pretty handsome offer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I don't think we'll be able to sign Burns or Josh Allen (the DE) in FA. I think they'll be franchised if they don't get a long-term deal done.

I think we’re looking more likely at a Dorance Armstrong form Dallas, a Bryce Huff from the NYJ or an AJ Epinesa from Buffalo on top of retaining some of our own DE FAs like JSW to play LDE & maybe Toohill to compete for a spot. I also think we draft a LEO prospect within the first 3 rounds.

Generally i always wait for the tags because id agree usually. But i do think theres a chance both could get to the market. Its odd but we will see. General wisdom says tag them but i could see them wanting to explore the market we will see how the teams feel

O-Linemen that I watched and liked in the 1on1 SB Practice. Guys outside of the top names. 

Isaiah Adams ILL

Christian Haynes CT

Layden Robinson TX A&M

Brandon Coleman TCU

Edited by ARTMONK HOF
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, e16bball said:

Do you think we’ll be able to sign Josh Allen (the QB) in FA? Because if so, I’d be down to make him a pretty handsome offer.

The prognostications say “doubtful!” 

I wish I had been with @lavar703 back in 2018 bc he was so right about his projection of Josh Allen (the QB). It took a few years but when it clicked he took off as a player. I'm hopeful the same happens with Maye if we take him.

As I've said a lot, I could see Howell starting over any of these 3 to start the season but if he's not playing well or the team is losing, the rookie we'd draft will play the second half of the season & take it from there. 

We could've traded up for Josh Allen, started Colt in 2018 & then in 2019 Josh Allen is our starter. We also would've retained Kendall Fuller & our 3rd round pick who could've been Mark Andrews.

Josh Allen to Terry, Samuel, Dotson & Andrews sounds fun about now. Oh well 🤷🏼‍♂️

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

As I've said a lot, I could see Howell starting over any of these 3 to start the season but if he's not playing well or the team is losing, the rookie we'd draft will play the second half of the season & take it from there. 

You already know that I’m 100% on board with this. 

The one guy in the top 3 that I’d actually probably be motivated to get out there ASAP is Daniels. Older and more experience, of course, but those legs aren’t getting better as he gets older. If you’re drafting him in large part because of his mobility/scrambling, he’s going to be at his very best at it early on in his career. 

That’s actually a reason I hadn’t thought of yet that makes him a bit of a bad fit if the goal is a pretty extensive rebuild. You’re wasting a couple years of what makes him special, if the expectation is that the team’s real *compete* window couldn’t possibly start until 2026.

9 minutes ago, e16bball said:

You already know that I’m 100% on board with this. 

The one guy in the top 3 that I’d actually probably be motivated to get out there ASAP is Daniels. Older and more experience, of course, but those legs aren’t getting better as he gets older. If you’re drafting him in large part because of his mobility/scrambling, he’s going to be at his very best at it early on in his career. 

That’s actually a reason I hadn’t thought of yet that makes him a bit of a bad fit if the goal is a pretty extensive rebuild. You’re wasting a couple years of what makes him special, if the expectation is that the team’s real *compete* window couldn’t possibly start until 2026.

I worry about starting Daniels too soon as we did with RG3 bc I’m concerned he won't learn to be a patient pocket passer. I don't want him to get hurt bc he takes off and runs after his first read isn't open.

Also, Daniels isn't that old really, he was young when he was a freshman in college. He just turned 23 in December, so he's 3 months younger than Sam Howell.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

I worry about starting Daniels too soon as we did with RG3 bc I’m concerned he won't learn to be a patient pocket passer. I don't want him to get hurt bc he takes off and runs after his first read isn't open.

Also, Daniels isn't that old really, he was young when he was a freshman in college. He just turned 23 in December, so he's 3 months younger than Sam Howell.

He’s not old. He’s just not entering the league at the Lamar and Hurts age. So as a runner they consider age mileage because how violent the game is. He’s not old he’s just a tick older then what you Hope for this high. The frame is a real thing because he hasn’t shown ability to avoid things to protect himself. But it isn’t like he can’t but it’s def a concern until it’s consistently shown because we saw Sam improve at it slightly as the season went on but you also saw it’s not natural and it def wasn’t consistent

56 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

He’s not old. He’s just not entering the league at the Lamar and Hurts age. So as a runner they consider age mileage because how violent the game is. He’s not old he’s just a tick older then what you Hope for this high. The frame is a real thing because he hasn’t shown ability to avoid things to protect himself. But it isn’t like he can’t but it’s def a concern until it’s consistently shown because we saw Sam improve at it slightly as the season went on but you also saw it’s not natural and it def wasn’t consistent

I disagree. He's already taken some major hits in college which, in my opinion, ages him more than the other two. Cam Newton was a much better prospect who was built like a tank but refused to slide and it basically just ruined him. He went from a stud to a beaten down back up quickly. Jayden doesn't have the luxury of being built like Cam or Allen but he also refuses to slide just like them. He's not a good enough passer, regardless of what Logan Paulsen has tried to convince this fanbase, to not be able to use his legs and just sit back there and pick teams apart.  He's not as good of a passer as either Maye or Williams and he's 2 years older than both of them. 

I think the problem with Daniels is there's a shelf-life on him. He's too slight and the idea he can just add 25lbs of muscle is absurd. He's not going to be a 39-year old QB. I honestly don't even think he's going to be a 35-year old QB. I think he's RG3-lite but he does have major ability. I think he ends up being the best of the 3 in the beginning but in a year or two Williams and Maye both surpass him and Daniels ends up being a 15-20 type QB. 

• Like 1