The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

“Well, I think Kliff — I think Kliff can use what he has and adjust a little bit with his offense. I don’t think it’s super, super rigid.

But I know over everything else you talk about guys that can get through things quickly and get the ball out and get it out accurately. So I think you can look at all these guys. I think all three of them would fit. I don’t think that there’s anybody you look at between those three and say Kliff couldn’t work with them.

I think you get mobility with all three. You get guys that are all three of them by everything I’ve been told are really, really bright, really, really smart guys. To me it’s more about kind of the ceiling of what you think they can be.

Drake Maye with just having a little more prototypical size and playing in a rugged division, I think that might be more of a decision-making point more so maybe than the offense would be. You know, the location and the division and playing outdoors in Washington. That to me would lean a little bit more towards Drake Maye.”

• Like 1

Next Pro Scouting 
Scouting Report for Roger Rosengarten T Washington

Overview: Roger Rosengarten, an offensive tackle from Washington, has shown significant promise and skill at his position. Standing at 6'5 1/2" and weighing 311 pounds, Rosengarten possesses the physical attributes ideal for an NFL tackle. His hand size of 9 3/8 inches and arm length of 33 1/8 inches further enhance his physical profile for the tackle position.

Pass Protection: Rosengarten's size and athleticism make him a formidable pass protector. His ability to use his long arms and hand size to engage and disengage from blockers, combined with his strength, makes him effective in maintaining a solid pocket presence. His footwork and balance are key assets, allowing him to handle various types of pass rushers effectively.

Run Blocking: In the run game, Rosengarten's physicality and aggressiveness come to the forefront. He is adept at opening lanes for running backs, using his strength to move defenders off the ball.
His ability to reach the second level and engage linebackers showcases his mobility and versatility as a blocker.

Athleticism: Rosengarten's athleticism is evident in his ability to move quickly and explosively off the line. His size and speed combination make him a versatile threat on the offensive line.

Intangibles: Rosengarten's 28 career starts at Washington speaks to his adaptability and resilience. His commitment to improving his craft is evident in his play, making him a valuable team player.

Player Comparison: Terron Armstead

Bottom Line: Roger Rosengarten is a promising offensive tackle prospect from Washington, known for his size, athleticism, and pass-blocking ability. His combination of physical attributes and on-field production makes him a valuable asset for teams looking to bolster their offensive line.

Seen on a few sports apps with a 4th rd grade. Probably will be at the Combine. 

Edited by ARTMONK HOF

23 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Scouting Report for Roger Rosengarten T Washington

Overview: Roger Rosengarten, an offensive tackle from Washington, has shown significant promise and skill at his position. Standing at 6'5 1/2" and weighing 311 pounds, Rosengarten possesses the physical attributes ideal for an NFL tackle. His hand size of 9 3/8 inches and arm length of 33 1/8 inches further enhance his physical profile for the tackle position.

Pass Protection: Rosengarten's size and athleticism make him a formidable pass protector. His ability to use his long arms and hand size to engage and disengage from blockers, combined with his strength, makes him effective in maintaining a solid pocket presence. His footwork and balance are key assets, allowing him to handle various types of pass rushers effectively.

Run Blocking: In the run game, Rosengarten's physicality and aggressiveness come to the forefront. He is adept at opening lanes for running backs, using his strength to move defenders off the ball.
His ability to reach the second level and engage linebackers showcases his mobility and versatility as a blocker.

Athleticism: Rosengarten's athleticism is evident in his ability to move quickly and explosively off the line. His size and speed combination make him a versatile threat on the offensive line.

Intangibles: Rosengarten's 28 career starts at Washington speaks to his adaptability and resilience. His commitment to improving his craft is evident in his play, making him a valuable team player.

Player Comparison: Terron Armstead

Bottom Line: Roger Rosengarten is a promising offensive tackle prospect from Washington, known for his size, athleticism, and pass-blocking ability. His combination of physical attributes and on-field production makes him a valuable asset for teams looking to bolster their offensive line.

Seen on a few sports apps with a 4th rd grade. Probably will be at the Combine. 

You need to provide a link for where you got this 😉

In reading up on him, he seems like a very good prospect as you’ve displayed here. The last 2 years he started at RT for UW. Definitely seems like someone we’d want to draft in R3 or 4. Maybe he even does enough to start at RT as a rookie.

Edited by turtle28

Jayden looked great against Alabama and I think he's shown me more than anything Drake Maye has done all season right here. He just looks more natural and plays at a faster speed than Drake does at this point. But he's almost 2 years older than Drake. And he's always played with elite WRs. I think the QB debate at #2 is a lot closer than people realize. Vegas has it very close. If he comes in next week with 5-10 more pounds from the offseason and runs a low 4.4, things will get very entertaining around here. 

Edited by taylor made
  • Like 1

I think our two second round picks are almost as important than who we pick at #2. We realistically need to nail 2 out of top 3 picks to be competitive next year I feel. You do that by drafting low risk players. Our best draft pick under Ron Rivera has been Samuel Cosmi, and here's a player that fits the mold - Short armed OT second round prospect that played in the Pac-12 projects well in my draft grade formula. We desperately need someone to step up into Left Guard day 1. I think Morgan can be that guy. He's one to watch next week at the combine. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, taylor made said:

Jayden looked great against Alabama and I think he's shown me more than anything Drake Maye has done all season right here. He just looks more natural and plays at a faster speed than Drake does at this point. But he's almost 2 years older than Drake. And he's always played with elite WRs. I think the QB debate at #2 is a lot closer than people realize. Vegas has it very close. If he comes in next week with 5-10 more pounds from the offseason and runs a low 4.4, things will get very entertaining around here. 

It would be pretty remarkable if he gained weight and dropped his 40 time to the low 4.4s considering he was timed at ASU at 4.5 while weighing 185lbs…

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

It would be pretty remarkable if he gained weight and dropped his 40 time to the low 4.4s considering he was timed at ASU at 4.5 while weighing 185lbs…

Yes but not impossible. He is still being projected to run in the 4.5s. That's only .1 of a second and players routinely run the difference of +/- .1 second of their projection all the time. Who knows if he even runs but he has the most to gain by doing so. 

Also, I don’t understand how one season of elite play surrounded by elite talent while playing for one of the best coaches in all of college football trumps the other 4.5 years of mediocre/good football? We have 4.5 years of film on Jayden Daniels where he wasn’t this guy. I feel like Daniels has turned into the media darling where the warts in his game are being overlooked because of how exciting he is in general. 

I say this while not knowing if he’s better than Maye or not? Hell, he could be. He could ultimately be the best QB in this draft. My fear is we’d be going down the same path we went with Robert who I think was a better prospect. Daniels doesn’t like to slide and he loves to run. He’s skinny and takes monster hits. If we take him I will absolutely cheer for him and hope for the best while watching through my fingers when he takes off to run. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, taylor made said:

Yes but not impossible. He is still being projected to run in the 4.5s. That's only .1 of a second and players routinely run the difference of +/- .1 second of their projection all the time. Who knows if he even runs but he has the most to gain by doing so. 

If he shows up to the combine at 215-220lbs, which would be 5-10lbs over his current listed weight and runs faster than he did at 185lbs it would be incredible. Like superhuman basically lol

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Also, I don’t understand how one season of elite play surrounded by elite talent while playing for one of the best coaches in all of college football trumps the other 4.5 years of mediocre/good football? We have 4.5 years of film on Jayden Daniels where he wasn’t this guy. I feel like Daniels has turned into the media darling where the warts in his game are being overlooked because of how exciting he is in general. 

I say this while not knowing if he’s better than Maye or not? Hell, he could be. He could ultimately be the best QB in this draft. My fear is we’d be going down the same path we went with Robert who I think was a better prospect. Daniels doesn’t like to slide and he loves to run. He’s skinny and takes monster hits. If we take him I will absolutely cheer for him and hope for the best while watching through my fingers when he takes off to run. 

Similar to Joe Burrow who also was a one year wonder at LSU. I'd take Joe Burrow. Right now, Daniels is better than Drake Maye. But will he be better in 2-3 years? I don't know if anyone knows the answer to that. 

6 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

If he shows up to the combine at 215-220lbs, which would be 5-10lbs over his current listed weight and runs faster than he did at 185lbs it would be incredible. Like superhuman basically lol

I personally doubt he can even make his listed weight. He is skinny. But stranger things have happened. 

I think a lot of games end up looking better than they really were when they edit out all the incompletions and unsuccessful runs/sacks and the back-breaker interception.

Overall, it’s probably a fine depiction of what Jayden is. Elite runner (still don’t know why people are dragging their feet on that), throws a great deep ball, makes some great throws on the move (to the right). B+ arm at best, rarely throws into tight windows (and the B+ arm makes some of the windows look tighter than they were), frequently bailing even though there’s rarely significant pressure.

The part that makes it so hard to judge these guys is that he did probably play better in that game than Maye did all year — definitely after the month of September anyway. But what does it mean as far as the projection goes?

The first TD to Nabers, which accounted for more than 20% of his yardage in the game, sort of sums up why it’s difficult: he has all day to throw (and he knows he’s going to have all day) and Nabers is 5+ yards clear of the defense (and he knows his receivers are going to get open if given time). It shouldn’t be a major accomplishment for a QB at the level we’re talking about to step up in a clean pocket and hit a 40-yard ball to a wide open receiver.

Credit to him for hitting it. As I’ve said, he throws an A+ lofted deep ball. But I’ve watched a lot of Caleb and Drake from this year, and you could probably count the number of times they had that kind of protection and that kind of separation on two hands. Maybe one. 

And the thing is, it’s more than just an issue of that individual play. I think there’s so much calm/comfort that comes from expecting to have that kind of time and expecting to have open receivers. Daniels and Penix very similar in that regard for me — it’s a lot easier to slow yourself down and read everything out when you know you’ve got the time to do it, and when there’s 3 NFL receivers on the end of all those routes that you’re reading out.

Anyway, I agree with you that it’s not at all a slam dunk that Maye > Daniels. That’s what I would do, based on what I’ve seen. But if Daniels comes in to the meetings and shows he’s the better leader, better work ethic, better mental capacity, etc? Then that’s who they should take — it’s close enough physically for that part to make the difference. And then you just have to worry about keeping the kid alive.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, taylor made said:

Similar to Joe Burrow who also was a one year wonder at LSU. I'd take Joe Burrow. Right now, Daniels is better than Drake Maye. But will he be better in 2-3 years? I don't know if anyone knows the answer to that. 

I’ve seen this comparison before but I don’t agree with it. Going into his 5th year Burrow started 13 games in college. Jayden had started 43. It’s a significant difference in tape and volume of work. Not saying he can’t have the same type of jump just that I don’t think it’s an apt comparison. I actually think the fact Kenny Pickett, Bo Nix, Bailey Zappe, Michael Penix etc made similar jumps after starting a ton of games in college is what scares me. Is it just that he’s very good or is it the experience he has over a bunch of 18-20 year olds? I guess we won’t know until he gets up here. 

• Like 1

I think our two second round picks are almost as important than who we pick at #2. We realistically need to nail 2 out of top 3 picks to be competitive next year I feel. You do that by drafting low risk players. Our best draft pick under Ron Rivera has been Samuel Cosmi, and here's a player that fits the mold - Short armed OT second round prospect that played in the Pac-12 projects well in my draft grade formula. We desperately need someone to step up into Left Guard day 1. I think Morgan can be that guy. He's one to watch next week at the combine. 

I kinda love this call. 

I like Morgan a lot, and I’ve been trying to justify keeping him at OT because I think he’s a good player, but truthfully…his arms probably are too short, and the feet probably are a little fringy for LT, especially with some of the injury history that will probably continue to sap the mobility as time goes on. 

You can definitely see a ZBS guard in some of his movements and ability to turn guys to create those creases. I think he and Graham Barton are pretty comparable as guys I’d love to see for that IOL sweet spot at 36/40.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I don’t think he will. I expect him to run in the 4.5’s again displacing the notion that the media & many fans have in wanting to equate him to Lamar Jackson.

Edited by turtle28