The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

8 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

@MikeT14Kingsbury had Zach Ertz most of 2021 & in 2022.

In 2022 Ertz only played 10 games but in those 10 games he had 47 recs, 406 yds & 4 TDs. That’s good production for 10 games.

You’d think if Ertz had stayed healthy in 2022 he’d get near 70 recs, 700 yds & 7 TDs.

That's fair, it was a shorter stint. 

1 hour ago, Slappy Mc said:

I really wouldn't worry about Kliffs past with TEs. I literally could not tell you who played TE for Arizona during his HC stint. What I do know, is Dan Quinn and his entire staff are talking about player utililization in a really positive way IMO. 

Obviously there is a 0.00001% chance we would consider Bowers even if we traded down because of the OLine need and possibly a WR/DE being valued over him, but I really think Bowers fits into any offense. He is the ultimate safety blanket IMO.

Well...we have these high second round picks so if he falls we could always jump up and get him. Daniels/Maye plus Bowers plus a nice haul in free agency probably goes a long way to improving this teams future or start watching Colston Loveland. He's basically Brock Bowers 2.0

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

These are the types of players we need. 

I watched A LOT of Rome with him being local to me. Guy is a natural leader and wants to be counted on when it's do or die. He will be real good in the NFL.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Well...we have these high second round picks so if he falls we could always jump up and get him. Daniels/Maye plus Bowers plus a nice haul in free agency probably goes a long way to improving this teams future or start watching Colston Loveland. He's basically Brock Bowers 2.0

I just think we have too many needs to take Bowers. Like I said, he is almost a luxury pick because he can do so many things, but our holes elsewhere trump the TE position. 

I would party like no one was looking if we ended up with him though. 

I think I can genuinely say if they trade down and take an OT I will probably be done with this team. And if they trade the pick to the Giants so they can take one of the top 3 QBs I will seriously be done. Have no interest in spending another 2-3 years hoping we luck into a top pick in a QB heavy draft again. 

7 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I think I can genuinely say if they trade down and take an OT I will probably be done with this team. And if they trade the pick to the Giants so they can take one of the top 3 QBs I will seriously be done. Have no interest in spending another 2-3 years hoping we luck into a top pick in a QB heavy draft again. 

And if/when the OT turns into an all-pro and the QBs flame out, you gunna come back?

I told you bro, this is my fear for you. Pigeon-holing yourself into this QB or bust mentality.

Now it is very unlikely that we forgo a QB at 2, but I enjoy conversing with you. You and I have had similar desires for drafts in the past and I share a lot of the same frustrations you have had. I just think we are rooting for a different team now, run by real professionals. I hope you give them time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Slappy Mc said:

And if/when the OT turns into an all-pro and the QBs flame out, you gunna come back?

I told you bro, this is my fear for you. Pigeon-holing yourself into this QB or bust mentality.

Now it is very unlikely that we forgo a QB at 2, but I enjoy conversing with you. You and I have had similar desires for drafts in the past and I share a lot of the same frustrations you have had. I just think we are rooting for a different team now, run by real professionals. I hope you give them time.

No. We spent 20 years with awesome OT play. It meant nothing because we still sucked. We have sucked for 30+ years because we have never found a QB. Forgoing that chance to move down for an OT, punting this decision like Rivera did and going into 2025 with a bad QB draft is just crazy to me. And then what? We hope we’re bad enough in 2026 to land Arch? It’s just unbelievable we would go down this road after the mistake we made in 2020. And yes, I was all for that mistake and this time I’m not willing to do that again. 

12 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

No. We spent 20 years with awesome OT play. It meant nothing because we still sucked. We have sucked for 30+ years because we have never found a QB. Forgoing that chance to move down for an OT, punting this decision like Rivera did and going into 2025 with a bad QB draft is just crazy to me. And then what? We hope we’re bad enough in 2026 to land Arch? It’s just unbelievable we would go down this road after the mistake we made in 2020. And yes, I was all for that mistake and this time I’m not willing to do that again. 

I'm sorry bro. I don't share the same opinion. For the sake of all of us, I hope they draft a QB and it works out. I try not to do a lot of hindsight draft work, but in recent years we have made some really bad decisions.

I just want us to make the right decision and get a dang good ball player and hopefully it is at a position of need. You and I sat here beating the table for Darrisaw, Hamilton, J.O.K., Mayer and Torrence, the team went in other terrible directions. I know you want a QB and there are a lot that believe this is a strong QB year, but people also thought 2021 was a really strong draft year (5 QBs went in Rnd 1). I am not necessarily saying that this class will turn out that way, but it is a possibility.

I think the team is doing their due diligence and will ultimately make the decision they feel is best for all of us. It almost definitely will be a QB with Harris being involved with their interview process.

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

For me, my take is that if they pass on the QBs, they better be right. If they move down, and Maye or Daniels in particular turns into something like what CJ Stroud has been — it’s a fireable offense, in my opinion.

Lots of QBs fail, and neither of those guys is a 100% stone cold lock, so I’d probably be willing to give it some time to play out and see if they called it right. But if it turns out that they did have a franchise-altering talent in their lap, and they passed on him to try to get clever with some great draft pick haul instead, then I do truly think that would be grounds for someone losing their job. 

Obviously, they could salvage it by finding a different star QB elsewhere or possibly by making unprecedentedly successful use of whatever picks they got in building a super core. But it would be awfully tough to come back from willfully passing on a player like that.

I mean they just got rid of Thomas Leno and Gates. Vet guys that one are old and two were vocal against the team last year. I think Harris and everyone were very much paying attention. Peters is smart. Quinn I believe to be a guy that has a message but your players have to be into the message you can’t have the older cats vocalizing against it for this or that and I think these moves speak to this. We all knew they are focusing on upgrading the trenches and we have picks to do it. All I know is there is a Center in Oregon who is going to be an all pro many years in this league and I want him super bad for this team. Probably my favorite scout this year outside of Rome JJ and Bowers and the Toledo CB.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

I mean they just got rid of Thomas Leno and Gates. Vet guys that one are old and two were vocal against the team last year. I think Harris and everyone were very much paying attention. Peters is smart. Quinn I believe to be a guy that has a message but your players have to be into the message you can’t have the older cats vocalizing against it for this or that and I think these moves speak to this. We all knew they are focusing on upgrading the trenches and we have picks to do it. All I know is there is a Center in Oregon who is going to be an all pro many years in this league and I want him super bad for this team. Probably my favorite scout this year outside of Rome JJ and Bowers and the Toledo CB.

Please don’t tell me you’re suggesting we trade down and take a center? 

Dude Peyton Wilson is an absolute stud on tape!!! Like absolute stud!!! Medical concerns but my lord could we get a guy like that who stays healthy? He instantly upgrades a level on the defense.

• Like 1