The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

5 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

Not sure where you got any indication I wanted McCarthy at all. 

I was more speaking on "the potential to become 1st round quality" for QB prospects in general.

By all means, keep swinging for the HR instead of trying to consistently get on base. That's how the majority of this fan base feels. To he'll with a roster of quality players, one potential 1st round quality QB trumps all.

The Vikings tried the “build the roster up and plop the QB in” thing with Kirk. They did exactly as you want us to do. It didn’t work. 

edit* 

Sorry man, this came off as rude and I really didn’t mean it that way. 

Edited by lavar703

49 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Scott Abraham

Jayden Daniels or Drake Maye?

Add another vote for Daniels to the Commanders.

I spoke with ESPN's @FieldYates today. 

Field told me Daniels "was at his best in big moments against great teams."

Field Yates has been in love with Daniels the whole time lol. 

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

The Vikings tried the “build the roster up and plop the QB in” thing with Kirk. They did exactly as you want us to do. It didn’t work. 

edit* 

Sorry man, this came off as rude and I really didn’t mean it that way. 

Arguably, the Vikings had a legitimate shot at "it working" with Kirk Cousins. He has been a top 15 QB in the NFL pretty consistently during his span there. I would actually use that situation as an example of why you build up the roster before getting the QB. Just because it didn't work for them, doesn't mean the logic is flawed.

Also no issues bro, I didn't take that as rude. I know how you feel about your boy Drake Maye and want us to go that route.

6 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Chris Simms

In other years, Jayden Daniels would be a clear top pick QB. 
Really excellent passer, especially with people around him. 
And absolutely elite runner

I'm leaning to us taking him if we don't trade down . The Gods may have done us a favor being #2. We'd "have" to take Williams at #1 and he seems like he might turn into a giant P I T A .

Edited by RSkinGM

6 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Chris Simms

In other years, Jayden Daniels would be a clear top pick QB. 
Really excellent passer, especially with people around him. 
And absolutely elite runner

This is such an odd take considering his sack rate is extremely high and he took off and ran in pressure situations at a higher clip than any college QB in years. He also rarely uses the middle of the field and played behind one of the best OL in college football. Logan Paulsen and Craig Hoffman were both 100% in the tank for Daniels...AND THEN Logan watched the film. He changed his mind and went with Maye. Basically stating Daniels struggled mightily the season before with pressure but this season he just had 3 or 4 seconds to sit back there and was just never close to being touched for the most part. And for Hoffman to have swung to Maye says a lot. He absolutely fought anyone that didn't want Daniels. Daniels is extremely talented but he also has all day to throw the ball and Brian Thomas and Malik Nabers might literally be the 2nd and 3rd best receivers in college football. 

"When you see how Daniels attacks and pair it with his career sack rate of 8.5% and pressure to sack rate (the amount of pressures that resulted in a sack) of 24.5%, I do have some concerns about how Daniels will mitigate those negative plays within the structure of the offense."

-Nate Tice

https://sports.yahoo.com/jayden-daniels-nfl-draft-stock-has-risen-more-than-anyone-but-will-he-live-up-to-it-021631977.html

Edited by lavar703

17 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I completely agree with this take!!! Which is why you don’t draft him 2!!! You’re essentially burning a year of his value years. This is the problem. There are legit 5 guys who have real starter level ability day one and your going to draft a kid who I believe needs to sit and your just wasting the value of the contract picking a QB on this roster that can’t play much less the state of our roster we shouldn’t be taking one at all

when I say at all I mean picking him at 2 too sit is maddening. Take JJ and get the best QB in this class

Edited by ripsean21

41 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

@lavar703
Any person who give’s Jayden Daniels a positive critique you 💩on it. I think you’re going to lose your 💩 if JD is picked. 😀😀

Probably the same as the rest of the forum would lose their **** if/when we pass on the QB class and trade down. 

27 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

A bad team drafting a young promising QB early and ruining any potential by playing them too early... where have I heard that before?

#tradedowntobuildup

Like unless you’re staring at a unicorn you build the roster. I don’t see an actual unicorn. Like when I say that I love the idea of Maye he looks the part!!! His skills are there I loved the kid in HS and enjoyed scouting him. But I do believe you need to sit him and sitting a player at a position where the only perk you get is a 4 year cheap window if they are going to be good and then it’s cap hell and a whole different roster situation.

Edited by ripsean21

1 hour ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

@lavar703
Any person who give’s Jayden Daniels a positive critique you 💩on it. I think you’re going to lose your 💩 if JD is picked. 😀😀

It’s not like I’m just doing it out of spite. I think he’s far too skinny and relies on his legs and it’s a recipe for disaster. I’ve never said he isn’t talented because he most certainly is but I feel like we’ve done down the Jayden Daniels road before and it ended in misery. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

I completely agree with this take!!! Which is why you don’t draft him 2!!! You’re essentially burning a year of his value years. This is the problem. There are legit 5 guys who have real starter level ability day one and your going to draft a kid who I believe needs to sit and your just wasting the value of the contract picking a QB on this roster that can’t play much less the state of our roster we shouldn’t be taking one at all

when I say at all I mean picking him at 2 too sit is maddening. Take JJ and get the best QB in this class

But it’s a silly take. He was one of the top 5 best QBs in college football as a freshman. Nobody can even debate that. He loses his OC and his top receiving threat and literally has no one to throw to for the first 5 weeks of the season and then we get ridiculous takes like this one. 

They aren’t picking him at 2 to sit. He’ll start and he’ll be just fine. This whole “build up the roster so we can trade 4 first round picks when we finally need a QB take” is ridiculous. The falcons are in literal purgatory right now because of building this way. If you happen to find yourself a Brock Purdy on accident, congrats. The odds of that happening however are extremely remote. 

6 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

They aren’t picking him at 2 to sit. He’ll start and he’ll be just fine. This whole “build up the roster so we can trade 4 first round picks when we finally need a QB take” is ridiculous. The falcons are in literal purgatory right now because of building this way. If you happen to find yourself a Brock Purdy on accident, congrats. The odds of that happening however are extremely remote. 

Unpopular Opinion: Brock Purdy isn't a franchise QB. 

Also no trade has ever included 4 FRPs. Your insistence that the only way forward is drafting a QB at #2 and that any plan to the contrary will guarantee we suck for years to come is foolhardy. 

I forgot how many FRPs the Chiefs gave up to get Mahomes... or how many the Bills gave up for Allen. I do however know how many we gave up for RG3 and how many the 49ers gave up for Lance.